Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
again, if a company rips you off, don't buy their products. companies will see their sales decline and then realize they have to stop ripping customers off. it's very simple
Meanwhile the customer has also suffered a loss… This whole initiative is about protecting the small guy and preventing a lot of unnecessary electronic waste.

I agree that if companies are forced to improve the quality of their products or reduce repair costs imposed on customers, production costs will increase.

But what you and others apparently leave out of the equation is that they could settle for less profit. Or maybe companies with a reputation for high quality and service will see increased sales?

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
again, if a company rips you off, don't buy their products. companies will see their sales decline and then realize they have to stop ripping customers off. it's very simple
Or if a company can’t make business without it breaking after 1 year or so they shouldn’t be in business.

It means the store listing goods also needs to make sure the stuff they have is holding a certain quality standard or foot the warranty bill

If you want low quality trash then order it from China online and you won’t need to worry about warranty.
not really. there's probably a frugal user base where products they buy are understandably unsupported but they get a great deal on the product and they're more than happy to be on their own to fix it. these consumer rights increase the product price tag for everyone and for all products whether people want it or not.
And there’s a large user base who think they purchased a quality product, and it breaking after a year or so means the company made a lot of profit ripping people of, and can just continue to rebrand or make no name goods continuously ripping unknowing victims.

And you are completely free to order the goods from outside of EU with none of the legal warranties in place.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
It’s okay, EU keeps passing these nonsense policies and companies will start scaling back their sales there, or simply pass along the higher costs to the consumers. Great work, EU! 🫡

An item that is out of warranty…yet, still want to force a company to fix the out of warranty item. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of OUT OF WARRANTY?

Reactions: iOS Geek

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Just my two cents: what is preventing companies from doing that already while still cashing in on expensive repairs and people opting to buy a new device instead of repairing it?

The longer the warranty lasts, the less likely a manufacturer chooses to use bad parts. The first lightbulb works since 1901. LEDs last 50k+ hours yet for some reason even the Philips ones die after 1-2 years (max. 17.5k hours if they ran continuously which they don't)

I have 14-15 Phillips Hue bulbs. Some of them are going on 4+ years old. Never once had an issue. And the older bulbs are the ones running 8+ hours a day. Now, I have had plenty of issues with cheap no-name LED bulbs. Phillips, Sylvania, and GE just keep going.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s okay, EU keeps passing these nonsense policies and companies will start scaling back their sales there, or simply pass along the higher costs to the consumers. Great work, EU! 🫡

An item that is out of warranty…yet, still want to force a company to fix the out of warranty item. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of OUT OF WARRANTY?

There is a difference between what a manufacturer deems out of warranty and what is deemed a reasonable amount of time for a product to last. White goods are 5 years and I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a mobile phone to last that long either. A single year is rather insulting considering how much they cost. This isn’t a new thing yet many here seem to think it is.

Perhaps Apple could scale back in the EU and put a dent in that $85b profit they make from it annually. People make comments like this and suggest maybe pulling out altogether but seem to forget it’s the companies that lose out, not the consumer. If I suddenly couldn’t get an iPhone, I’d buy a different smartphone and live happily ever after.

Reactions: delsoul

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Uhhh yes, they can pass along any cost they want if it means the quality increases. Or they can lower the quality and aka for a bigger price and waste money on fixing their broken products.
Uhhh where in this legal system is a company forced to fix anything outside of warranty?

The law ( that have existed for decades) states explicitly within warranty a company needs to fix it, and this legal text is just changing existing legal rules.

Reactions: amartinez1660

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
The law ( that have existed for decades) states explicitly within warranty a company needs to fix it, and this legal text is just changing existing legal rules.
So, the warranty should be at least 5 years for devices and for the software at least 10 years. More the better!

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
AirPods Max line ups expected, those headphones as great as they can be ended up being so unreliable, unacceptable for their price range…

There are droves of people blaming the users for not taking care of their headphones or “wearing them wrong”, but kid you not, I still have displays and working iMacs, MacBooks (with me or with family members), AirTime Capsule, etc that are 12+ years old still working as if new; yet the AirPods Max have failed twice miserably out of the blue.

Heck even a launch day AirPods Pro is still ongoing just battery lasting less per charge, and that’s more on the disposable side of things.

As much as an anti EU forced overseeing I can be (especially when there’s definitely missing information), this one I get behind… ultimately it will be cheaper for companies to make reliable products instead of having to fix rushed or mistakes or sneaky upsells.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Meanwhile the customer has also suffered a loss…

why did the customer suffer a loss?

A. Didn't do the research
or
B. New company = no data. Therefore customer knowingly decided to risk their money on a bad product

either way, they don't buy the product anymore, company sales go down, company goes bust or decides to make a product better.

it resolves on its own.

arguably, millions of customers are suffering a loss with this new law because they will no longer be able to afford cheap products where people are fine without support.

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
So, the warranty should be at least 5 years for devices and for the software at least 10 years. More the better!
If you want to argue it go ahead. This law sets the minimum standard. If you want 10 years you can have it.

If you want luxury goods to have 20 years, go ahead. Or if you want 2 years only that’s fine as well

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
why did the customer suffer a loss?

A. Didn't do the research
or
B. New company = no data. Therefore customer knowingly decided to risk their money on a bad product
After harm is done, it’s better to be proactive instead of reactive.
either way, they don't buy the product anymore, company sales go down, company goes bust or decides to make a product better.

it resolves on its own.
Why do you want the market to be flooded with crap? The company can literally just rebrand their things once in a while.
arguably, millions of customers are suffering a loss with this new law because they will no longer be able to afford cheap products where people are fine without support.
Order it from China. It’s literally a non issue

Reactions: ninecows

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
If you want to argue it go ahead. This law sets the minimum standard. If you want 10 years you can have it.

If you want luxury goods to have 20 years, go ahead. Or if you want 2 years only that’s fine as well
A computer or a phone is not a luxury good, and I am not 'arguing' on that, the EU will push it as a law, if that is already not there. It is well known that manufacturers put in parts that are planned to die in a few years in all kinds off devices. Like I said before, if a company cannot make a device that can't run for more than 5 years without faulting, then that company should close doors, or made to do so. Software should be made public too, if not governments should allow people in their countries to do so, that is kill the monopoly!

A long time ago, India allowed companies to re-engineer medicine, the so-called 'patented' medicine, so the poor could buy. The result, today India is one of the largest medicine producers in the world. China is the top most producer of medicine too. Together China and India has nearly half the population of the world, so they did right!

I'm not saying that Apple is making bad breakable devices, for I have a 5-year old 15" Intel MBP 2018 model, which was high-end those days. It was manufactured in 2019, and it was discontinued in the same year. OK, Apple has the right to not to continue making the same device continuously, but Apple shouldn't make it obsolete deliberately by not allowing future macOSs to run in it. That should be curbed, and by gov't regulations, and I'd be happy, if the EU takes stand on that.

That 2018 model MBP is still very good as a device after 5 years with the battery health at 92%, and the battery pulling 9 hours 40 mins (originally promised to run 10 hours). Windows 11 was installed in it yesterday without a problem, and its Battery Report showed the same. MS shows how to do that now (or, was pushed to do so), and Apple should be pushed too, at least in the EU!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
A computer or a phone is not a luxury good, and I am not 'arguing' on that, the EU will push it as a law, if that is already not there. It is well known that manufacturers put in parts that are planned to die in a few years in all kinds off devices. Like I said before, if a company cannot make a device that can't run for more than 5 years without faulting, then that company should close doors, or made to do so. Software should be made public too, if not governments should allow people in their countries to do so, that is kill the monopoly!
Well the law have stated 3 years of warranty for decades. But it allows countries to hav stricter rules. Example Ireland have 6 years of minimum warranty.

They call it “luxury/premium goods” essentially if you purchase a computer that costs 1,000€ then it should last that long, but if you purchased a computer for let’s say 200€ then It would be minimum 3 years.

I'm not saying that Apple is making bad breakable devices, for I have a 5-year old 15" Intel MBP 2018 model, which was high-end those days. It was manufactured in 2019, and it was discontinued in the same year. OK, Apple has the right to not to continue making the same device continuously, but Apple shouldn't make it obsolete deliberately by not allowing future macOSs to run in it. That should be curbed, and by gov't regulations, and I'd be happy, if the EU takes stand on that.
Well in that case, currently is working on that.

The ecodesign requirements for mobile phones, smartphones, tablets and cordless phones, on the other hand, stipulate that updates for the operating system must be made available for at least five years after the product has been withdrawn from the market. At the same time, the Commission's proposal on product liability contains incentives to provide software updates for ten years.

In the Cyber Resilience Act which proposes that producers indicate the expected lifespan of their products in which security updates will also be provided.
That 2018 model MBP is still very good as a device after 5 years with the battery health at 92%, and the battery pulling 9 hours 40 mins (originally promised to run 10 hours). Windows 11 was installed in it yesterday without a problem, and its Battery Report showed the same. MS shows how to do that now (or, was pushed to do so), and Apple should be pushed too, at least in the EU!
In the law that is added plus many things is this👇

manufacturers are to provide access to spare parts, repair and maintenance information or any repair related software tools, firmware or similar auxiliary means. Those requirements ensure the technical feasibility of repair, not only by the manufacturer, but also by other repairers.​

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Oh, I see Rs. Did you shoot with some camera the act of passing that money and the device to a serviceman or a cashdesk worker?

I didn't shoot a video. I registered for repair with Apple Authorised service provider online, they came to my house and picked up the device and after diagnose when i got repair cost i rejected it. I had to pay the diagnose charge, which i paid online.

If you mean video shoot in terms of evidence. everything is in email and payment done online. so i can provide everything, whoever needs. i'll just have to spend time digging through.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
Do you see this page in the US? Especially this part,

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 16.13.23.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.