Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
I’ve got a major problem with Ventura, I’m getting really slow transfer speeds after the update it’s as if everything has reverted to USB 2.0 speeds.

Spoke to apple support they’re clueless.

Yesterday on Monterey it was perfect!

Anyone else got this issue?

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
apple support was 'clueless'?? did they login to your mac, and take a look?

maybe you can get help here, but i'd call apple back, and get a competent support person...
Aye I’m going to ring them after work tonight. I was on to them yesterday for promotion not working (slow AF refresh rate), I’ll prob just revert back to Monterey if it’s not solved.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Aye I’m going to ring them after work tonight. I was on to them yesterday for promotion not working (slow AF refresh rate), I’ll prob just revert back to Monterey if it’s not solved.
i would suggest that, since this isn't a common issue, to get it resolved; easier than reverting...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Try just one SSD connected directly. If it is slow try a different one. If speed is normal. Try your dock with just that SSD. If it is still good. Add one drive or peripheral at a time until you get a slowdown.

The idea being to see if it is just one device causing a conflict, the dock or if it is all devices.

Reactions: GCC

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
its with no dock devices connected directly to the mac, my work pal has an identical MacBook and the drives work as normal. It’s definitely Ventura update, it was fine before.
Try just one SSD connected directly. If it is slow try a different one. If speed is normal. Try your dock with just that SSD. If it is still good. Add one drive or peripheral at a time until you get a slowdown.

The idea being to see if it is just one device causing a conflict, the dock or if it is all devi

The idea being to see if it is just one device causing a conflict, the dock or if it is all devices.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I bet it returns to normal by itself in a few days. After a big update, I’d expect some “housekeeping” to take place, which may involve moving reading your external drives, which means it’s moving lots of data. when that ends, you should be back to normal.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

kegobeer

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
I have the same problem with my 2019 Intel MBP and Mac Studio - any USB3 thumb drive is slow to populate the file list and slow to copy. My T5 works just fine. Both work perfectly on my 2019 5K iMac that hasn't been upgraded to Ventura.

Reactions: lvleleven

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
At least I’m not alone aha. Apple have sent it up the tech hierarchy, so I’ll come back when I’ve got an answer or solution

Reactions: kegobeer

aeharding

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
Hello, I am also having this problem, except even worse! I have purchased a lot of cheap 16GB aliexpress flash drives to provide customers with videos. Done this many, many times before. However on Ventura, the write transfer speeds has gone down from 7MB/s (on Windows and older macOS versions) to less than 0.5 MB/s!! About 10x slower and completely unusable. Finder spontaneously beachballs for a few seconds every now and then during transfer.

Additionally, I am experiencing this on FAT32, exFAT and FAT. When formatted as macOS Journaled transfer speeds are normal (7MB/s). But I can't use that because many customers view their videos on Windows.

I hope this gets fixed quickly, please keep me updated! I submitted a feedback assistant report!

:(

Reactions: TMax

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
I’ve got a major problem with Ventura, I’m getting really slow transfer speeds after the update it’s as if everything has reverted to USB 2.0 speeds.

Spoke to apple support they’re clueless.

Yesterday on Monterey it was perfect!

Anyone else got this issue?
I have the same issue and I am trying to copy my photos library 563Gb in size to my SSD external drive due to issues Ventura and Apple Photos has.That is on another post that I started.

But yes I have the same issues with very very slow transfer speeds.

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
I bet it returns to normal by itself in a few days. After a big update, I’d expect some “housekeeping” to take place, which may involve moving reading your external drives, which means it’s moving lots of data. when that ends, you should be back to normal.
I thought the same thing yesterday when my issue showed up. I think I will try that if my current process doesn't work.

kegobeer

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
I've only seen this with USB type A devices. My USB type C Samsung T5 and my Thunderbolt 3 external drive don't suffer from slow speeds. I don't think it's some kind of "it will go back to normal" upgrade thing - especially if I have a USB thumb drive that has a handful of small files on it that takes 5-10 seconds for it to show the list of files.

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
Well it’s Thursday and the drives are still writing at 15MB/s on my machine, while the identical machine at work on Monterey is working at the full 600-900MB/s.

Still working with apple to resolve it. Machines been on for work all day each day so it’s had plenty of time to scan a freshly formatted drive.

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Same here! Reinstalled Ventura as this was advised by Mac Support, but it had no effect! Please, share if anyone has a solution. It’s not only slow, it’s also impossible to delete anything from the SSD trash, it gives a message files are in use, when they are not! I can’t believe how Mac could release update with such bug!

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
Same here! Reinstalled Ventura as this was advised by Mac Support, but it had no effect! Please, share if anyone has a solution. It’s not only slow, its impossible to delete anything from the trash, it gives a message files are in use, when they actually not! I can’t believe how Mac could release update with such bug!
I get the disk in use message when trying to eject too. I installed a dual boot of a fresh Ventura and got the same issue, so it’s either the OS or firmware. I’ll probs end up going back a version to Monterey

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I get the disk in use message when trying to eject too. I installed a dual boot of a fresh Ventura and got the same issue, so it’s either the OS or firmware. I’ll probs end up going back a version to Monterey
This was advised by Mac Support if the issue will persist. But I would love to have new OS working normal. Why should I use previous one? Why they can’t issue OS without bugs? This is so disappointing. This took my whole day today, when I first tried to copy 10GB to SSD and it took 5 hours and almost burned my SSD! And now I can’t delete anything from the trash!

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
This was advised by Mac Support if the issue will persist. But I would love to have new OS working normal. Why should I use previous one? Why they can’t issue OS without bugs? This is so disappointing. This took my whole day today, when I first tried to copy 10GB to SSD and it took 5 hours and almost burned my SSD! And now I can’t delete anything from the trash!
Which Mac are you using?

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
Maybe Apple does this on purpose so people use it’s native file system. I wanted to format it in Apple but to do this, I first need to copy files out of that SSD and I can’t because it’s a lot of GBs! It just doesn’t do it and if it may do it in who knows how many hours, there is a risk SSD may burn faster.

Last edited:

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
Maybe Apple does this on purpose so people use it’s native file system. I wanted to format it in Apple but to do this, I first need to copy files out of that SSD and I can’t because it’s a lot of GBs! It just doesn’t do it and if it may do it in who knows how many hours, there is a risk SSD may burn faster.
I have drives in APFS and exFat, happens to both!

Reactions: mudflap

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I have drives in APFS and exFat, happens to both!
Oh! That’s good to know, because I saw someone said that he doesn’t have this with APFS and I thought it might be a solution, but seems it’s not. That makes it really terrible. How Apple could be so uncaring to release an update and not even check USB for proper working? It’s urgent for a lot of people to copy/move files and they put them in the situation where they don’t have any working solution. That’s just not ok for a company like Apple, who should have more responsibility for their actions, because so many people love and trust in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMax and lvleleven
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.