Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
When I try to delete files from the trash I get a message that it can’t do it and I have to check if some of the files are locked and if I have permission to do it. But I know for 1000% that none of the files are locked and I have permission to do it. If I do it manually it lets me delete like 5 files at once and not more. So this is clearly a bug and it’s so evident it’s almost impossible how this could run unnoticed by Apple.

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
This message will be a little offtop, but I want to say my opinion. I think what Apple is now is just some parasites who use all the fame that was left from Steve Jobs. There is no any innovation, style or care anymore. And it’s so sad to see.

Each update they do worse and worse things. Even with things that you have to try hard to make it worse but they still manage to do it. Take a look at search bar on Mac. It was beautiful stylish slim line, just enough to type in it. I loved that search bar. Every time I opened it I got a pleasure for my eyes. In Ventura, they made a bulky search window that takes so much space of the screen and cringe me each time I open it. This tells me that who runs the company now has no idea what ideals and principles were in the company at Steve Job’s times.

The file system organization in Ventura starts to look more and more like Windows. And I, personally, find this so uncomfortable to use. They add extra actions to do things, now you have to make extra clicks to get what you need. This doesn’t look like Apple anymore.

The politics of the company now is “we will give you freedom and put everything on top for you find all you want yourself”. But this makes it a total mess and takes time and effort to get to the result, especially if people are not too tech. With Steve Jobs it was real care about people to not have to do anything extra and get results faster with no effort and this was so amazing. Now it’s just “spend your own time to do things” and popular saying DYOR will fit here perfectly. But Mac principles were exactly the opposite. When people spend money to buy something that should make their life easier, they can’t get exactly the opposite. It’s just stupid and someone has to answer for this, because this is called SCAM.

Attachments

• DD271785-8170-47A1-924A-4563A2733721.jpeg
    DD271785-8170-47A1-924A-4563A2733721.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

LOVEZZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I've only seen this with USB type A devices. My USB type C Samsung T5 and my Thunderbolt 3 external drive don't suffer from slow speeds. I don't think it's some kind of "it will go back to normal" upgrade thing - especially if I have a USB thumb drive that has a handful of small files on it that takes 5-10 seconds for it to show the list of files.
This is exactly the reason. With small files it works ok, but try something around 10GB or more. M1 Macs have USB C.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Another reason why I'm sticking with Monterey for now!

Do you need Ventura? Do you have a Monetery backup you can drop back to?

aaronplant

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
I’ve got a major problem with Ventura, I’m getting really slow transfer speeds after the update it’s as if everything has reverted to USB 2.0 speeds.

Spoke to apple support they’re clueless.

Yesterday on Monterey it was perfect!

Anyone else got this issue?
I've got the same problem with my external (usb 3.0 connected using usb 3.0 to usb c adapter) Sandisk 480gb Extreme 500 flash drive. Grinds to a halt even when just displaying folder contents, then spends the next few hours 'reading' hundreds of megabytes of data (according to activity monitor) and pretty much locks up. Cannot even eject the storage device... I hope it gets sorted soon.

dupdeedo

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Hi All,

"Glad" others are experiencing the same joys of upgrading to Ventura.

I believe the poster who talked about the system doing things after the major upgrade was correct.

For me, I went into my settings and made sure that I turned spotlight off.
(I'm guessing there is a reindexing attempting to happen in the background)

I then turned off my computer and restarted it.
The transfer speeds were noticeably better.
(not the best though)

Reactions: nvrau

macbookAir443

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
I’ve got a major problem with Ventura, I’m getting really slow transfer speeds after the update it’s as if everything has reverted to USB 2.0 speeds.

Spoke to apple support they’re clueless.

Yesterday on Monterey it was perfect!

Anyone else got this issue?
Seems like Apple want's us to upgrade. this filthy move, they ****up selected devices so they force you to upgrade.
macBook air has low SSD capacity, we solved by using external Hard drive. Apple: "hold my beer"

Reactions: lvleleven

davidawolf

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
I'm having the same issue on my Studio M1 Max. I have a Thunderbolt 3 Sabrent dual enclosure NVME with 4TB of SSD. Since upgrading to Ventura, Finder spins for seconds before displaying folders and files.

mva68

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Same issue on Mac Mini M1. Also it takes ages when starting an app: "Verifying" on Samsung T7 USB-C (where some apps are located).

djordjez

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
Same issue, Air M1. After instaling Ventura , terrible writing speeds. Samsung T7. On T5 same thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 19.21.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 19.21.35.png
    653 KB · Views: 322
Reactions: Moyapilot

Asuppa180

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
I am experiencing this as well. Was moving some files from my 2019 macbook pro on Ventura to my iMac Pro on Monterey. My Samsung t7 gets about 950 MB/s on Monterey and 50 MB/s on Ventura.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I had heard that the M1 chipset has issues with some usb c/TB controllers. I queried once with OWC why an external nvme drive took a while to be recognised on m1 versus Intel and felt sluggish even though speedtest said otherwise [once it got going.] however this does seem software based. I’ll give it a go today on some of my drives.

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
I had heard that the M1 chipset has issues with some usb c/TB controllers. I queried once with OWC why an external nvme drive took a while to be recognised on m1 versus Intel and felt sluggish even though speedtest said otherwise [once it got going.] however this does seem software based. I’ll give it a go today on some of my drives.
IT’s Monterey vs Ventura. The problem only arises after the update, I’ve tested an identical machine that’s not been updated and it’s full speed

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Quick test for you:

Ventura *Intel

T5 & T7 Samsung SSD
R: 485MB/s Average
W: 511MB/s Average

OWC Envoy NVME 2TB TB3 (Note: unrecognised , then Ventura would not shut down until unplugged and then would not boot up with it plugged in. It then took a good 2minutes to detect and a further 1 minute to unencrypt it - no issues on Mont)
R: 17MB/s (Round 1)
W: 1045MB/s (Round 1)
R:1306MB/s (Round 2)
W: 1285MB/s (Round 2)
R: 74MB/s (Round 3)
W: 756MB/s (Round 3)

Sanddisk usb 3 (c)
R: 75MB/s Average
W: 45 MB/s Average

Last edited:

mva68

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
How to find the security tab: System Settings>Security & Privacy>Security ??

Am I overlooking it?

Beginning with macOS Ventura, the new layer of protection comes in the form of USB Restricted mode, which should provide a little reassurance to enterprise IT and is enabled by default.

Where is USB Restricted Mode controlled?

• The protection is enabled by default on Apple Silicon Macs.
  • The enabled protection is to Ask for new Accessories, additional options include:
    • Ask every time.
    • Automatically when unlocked.
    • Always.
  • Asking for new accessories is the minimum protection that should be in place, though highly secure enterprises will want to mandate for permission each time.
  • You can disable/enable the setting in System Settings>Security & Privacy>Security.
  • Configuring an accessibility Switch Control sets the policy to always allow accessory use.
  • Approved devices can connect to a locked Mac for up to three days.

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
How to find the security tab: System Settings>Security & Privacy>Security ??

Am I overlooking it?

Beginning with macOS Ventura, the new layer of protection comes in the form of USB Restricted mode, which should provide a little reassurance to enterprise IT and is enabled by default.

Where is USB Restricted Mode controlled?

• The protection is enabled by default on Apple Silicon Macs.
  • The enabled protection is to Ask for new Accessories, additional options include:
    • Ask every time.
    • Automatically when unlocked.
    • Always.
  • Asking for new accessories is the minimum protection that should be in place, though highly secure enterprises will want to mandate for permission each time.
  • You can disable/enable the setting in System Settings>Security & Privacy>Security.
  • Configuring an accessibility Switch Control sets the policy to always allow accessory use.
  • Approved devices can connect to a locked Mac for up to three days.
I’ve tested every setting after a reboot, no change in the issue, this is one of the first things the apple tech went to.

mva68

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Ok thanks. Just find it weird not to find the setting under the security section of "Privacy & Security". But guess we have to wait.

Also I every time get the message "New Icloud Terms and Conditions" etc which I accepted now a hundred times.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
I have a similar problem, but it didn't affect my external drives, but a Logitech Streamcam.
After the update to Ventura the camera started having audio problems. I experienced the bug before a couple of years ago and sorted it out after understanding that the camera has to be connected to a USB3 bus (slower will trigger the issue).

I went to check System Profiler and, after the update to Ventura, the USB3 bus where the camera is connected shows USB2 speeds.
I didn't touch the hardware at all.

lvleleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
Been on to apple today, reset filesystem permissions, did some stuff in terminal, re installed ventura and guess what, still the same 🙈. Having them show me how to reinstall Monterey while keeping my apps and data as I don't have time to reinstall

zenjempire

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
Tanzania
lveleleven
Thanks for highlighting this. I just bought a new M2 Macbook Air and was surprised on the speeds pf my External SSD Crucial X6 of 1TB, it was perfect on my previous Macbook Pro 2017/18 and yesterday just 50GB transfer took the whole night to complete, this is crazy, I think we better also raise this issue to SSD manufacturers maybe they can force Apple to work on it.

waiting also for some help from others here.

thespian77

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
I'm having the same issue w/ my M1-Mini and M1 Air. I have a Crucial X8 1TB and Sandisk Extreme V2 2TB that both R/W around 500MB/S since upgrading to Ventura. WTH Apple!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.