Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCinGG

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
SoCal
It seems this problem has infected Monterey as well.
Yesterday, I was using dd to clone a 1TB Windows 11 2.5" SSD to a 1TB NVMe SSD blade. The 2.5" SSD was in a USB3 enclosure, while the NVME blade was in a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. The fastest I could get was 17MB/s, on a 2019 Core i9 iMac, running 12.7.1. On a 2004 Mini running 12.7, and with the NVMe blade in a USB3 enclosure, I was seeing 14MB/s. In both systems using /dev/rdisk[n], the performance was even worse. I've done this operation many times in the past, and never experienced anything like this.

mortsmel

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
This isn't going anywhere for me, its unfortunate that Apple is so closed up concerning other areas of the internet noticing their problems. They said they can't see external URL's.

kevthedeejay

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2023
Hurray I've solved the problem, Here's what I did I figured that since my external hard drive activity light was continuously blinking probably a process that was utilizing the drive, my guess was Spotlight search was indexing my drive so I added it to the exclusion list by going to system settings, then Siri & spotlight and at the bottom selecting spotlight privacy I then dragged and dropped my external drive to the exclusion list then selected done, now every drive I add to the exclusion list works fine

Reactions: osplo

kevthedeejay

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2023
I’ve got a major problem with Ventura, I’m getting really slow transfer speeds after the update it’s as if everything has reverted to USB 2.0 speeds.

Spoke to apple support they’re clueless.

Yesterday on Monterey it was perfect!

Anyone else got this issue?
Hurray I've solved the problem,I experienced my drives get slow immediately I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura so I was sure all my drives were fine Here's what I did I figured that since my external hard drive activity light was continuously blinking probably a process that was utilizing the drive, my guess was Spotlight search was indexing my drive so I added it to the exclusion list by going to system settings, then Siri & spotlight and at the bottom selecting spotlight privacy I then dragged and dropped my external drive to the exclusion list then selected done, now every drive I add to the exclusion list works fine

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Hurray I've solved the problem, Here's what I did I figured that since my external hard drive activity light was continuously blinking probably a process that was utilizing the drive, my guess was Spotlight search was indexing my drive so I added it to the exclusion list by going to system settings, then Siri & spotlight and at the bottom selecting spotlight privacy I then dragged and dropped my external drive to the exclusion list then selected done, now every drive I add to the exclusion list works fine
If Spotlight was the problem I suspect you were unmounting the disks before the indexing finished. Another way to deal with this would be just let the drive connected long enough for Spotlight to finish indexing (which could take long hours in some cases).

Anyway, I am happy that you solved it.

StruckbyLight

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
Happy to hear it has worked for you.
We did this as soon as we faced the issue, but nothing other than going back to monterey worked!

petelugo

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Huh, I seem to have found a solution for my Mac Pro 7,1. I'm on Sonoma actually. I did migrate from an old Mac Pro. Deleting all the preference panes made everything way faster and seemed to have an effect on external write speed as well.

Things like Blackmagic Desktop Video and NTFS for Mac - all of them. In Sonoma all those preference panes are "legacy" and seem to screw with the system. All of them now reside in their new apps, like Desktop Video app. Also, I deleted the Signant app, I can reinstall when I need. It's for transferring files from post houses. Of course always go to Siri/Spotlight and add all external drives to the privacy list.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: osplo

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Huh, I seem to have found a solution for my Mac Pro 7,1. I'm on Sonoma actually. Deleting all the preference panes made everything way faster and seemed to have an effect on external write speed as well.

Which preference panes?

Reactions: BKDad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.