Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
File Apple Feedback reports! That is the only way this will get fixed, although I have my fingers crossed for Sonoma.

StruckbyLight

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
I had the same problem -- Finder agonizingly slow to bring up files on my 4-day TB3 enclosure. With Monterey/iMac Pro all was well but with M2 Studio / Ventura it wasn't. In another thread somebody suggested switching to Forklift, which I did. Problem instantly disappeared. I'll swap a few bucks for a useful Finder replacement for talking on the phone to Apple or surfing around the net looking for solutions, any day.
Thank you..
Hearing about this for the first time.
Had a look at it...and seems like a fairly inexpensive software.

Like they did with Siri, wouldn't be a bad idea for Apple to purchase to oomph up the finder!!

petedv

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2023
@monokakata, I spent £4000 on a laptop from apple to edit 10bit video on Final Cut. I think that should be enough for the operating system to be able to work with 3rd party external hard drives without the need for 3rd party subscriptions such as forklift for file transfers to work accordingly, sort it out apple.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
to edit 10bit video on Final Cut.

For me the delay in FCPX is when opening a file. It takes a while for the directory to be populated so you can select it. Once you have opened the file I haven't seen any delays.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
And how do you know that?

Well, even if they occasionally do, this forum is not an official channel of communication. It is far better to report bugs using the official channels.

Leaving the bugs unreported and complaining here in the style "c'mon Apple!" will accomplish little or nothing.

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Thank you..
Hearing about this for the first time.
Had a look at it...and seems like a fairly inexpensive software.

Like they did with Siri, wouldn't be a bad idea for Apple to purchase to oomph up the finder!!
I had the very same issue as Monokakata. After much fiddling around, here's the executive summary:

Rebooting in Safe Mode and then restarting seemed to be a big help. Thinking that some unhelpful cache file got deleted by the Safe Mode boot, I then tried running the Maintenance functions in Onyx, for the first time. Big improvement! Similar to Mojave performance. Almost.

Anyway, it might be worth a try. The price is right.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
@monokakata, I spent £4000 on a laptop from apple to edit 10bit video on Final Cut. I think that should be enough for the operating system to be able to work with 3rd party external hard drives without the need for 3rd party subscriptions such as forklift for file transfers to work accordingly, sort it out apple.
I didn't see this until now (there's another thread on the same problem). I spent a lot of money on my new Studio setup, too.

But...I have work to do, and I don't think Apple's going to sort this out any time soon. Of course they should! Forklift lets me proceed and frankly that's all I care about. I don't have time to wait on Apple.

StruckbyLight

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
I had the very same issue as Monokakata. After much fiddling around, here's the executive summary:

Rebooting in Safe Mode and then restarting seemed to be a big help. Thinking that some unhelpful cache file got deleted by the Safe Mode boot, I then tried running the Maintenance functions in Onyx, for the first time. Big improvement! Similar to Mojave performance. Almost.

Anyway, it might be worth a try. The price is right.
Thanks,
How is it going now? Still good?
Cheers

StruckbyLight

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
I had the same problem -- Finder agonizingly slow to bring up files on my 4-day TB3 enclosure. With Monterey/iMac Pro all was well but with M2 Studio / Ventura it wasn't. In another thread somebody suggested switching to Forklift, which I did. Problem instantly disappeared. I'll swap a few bucks for a useful Finder replacement for talking on the phone to Apple or surfing around the net looking for solutions, any day.
Thanks again for this..
I do have a question if you don't mind!

What happens when you access the external drives without going through Forklift?
In other words, does the installation of Forklift completely replace the 'finder function' and universally improve drive accessibility?

90% or more of my external hard drive access is via lightroom to store and edit images in the LR libraries. Unless Forklift sorts the problem out entirely, even when the access is not via Forklift, it will not sort of the problem for those of us who deal with photos and videos via dedicated editing and sorting programs.

Would really appreciate if you could check and let us know.

Cheers.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Thanks again for this..
I do have a question if you don't mind!

What happens when you access the external drives without going through Forklift?
In other words, does the installation of Forklift completely replace the 'finder function' and universally improve drive accessibility?

90% or more of my external hard drive access is via lightroom to store and edit images in the LR libraries. Unless Forklift sorts the problem out entirely, even when the access is not via Forklift, it will not sort of the problem for those of us who deal with photos and videos via dedicated editing and sorting programs.

Would really appreciate if you could check and let us know.

Cheers.
When I use Forklift by itself to access my big externals, it works great. Very fast! Finder is very pokey although running Onyx helped a lot -- but didn't push Finder's speed into Forklift's range.

I feel for you, because I use LR every day, but Forklift isn't a solution to our LR problem. The reason is that LR calls Finder to do its business, so even though it's indirect, we're still stuck with Finder. I don't think I'm wrong about this, meaning that LR and the other CC apps actually do have their own file manipulation routines. I don't know whether there's a way to make Forklift the default file explorer, but I doubt it.

It's really annoying but -- I'm repeating -- over in the other Finder thread people did get some relief from Onyx and also from the 13.6.1 update. But "some" is the key word here.

I have an M2 MacBook Pro running Sonoma and I keep meaning to plug my external 4 bay TB box into it, and see whether Sonoma is better. I'll try to do that today.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've had this issue ever since before Ventura myself, but finally started being able to access external SSDs without them being very sluggish shortly after being mounted. I've had issues for a while, but they also go away after about 5 minutes. Curiously enough, this only happens to my APFS drives, which I'd expect to be less problematic.

Anyway, the slow performance finally stopped happening.

How did I fix it? I didn't really. I got new SSD drives and reformatted them. All of my other SSD drives were initialized several years ago. I recently picked up new drives.

I don't think it's that they're new drives, but if it takes forever for your SSD drives to be fully accessible after you mount, you may want to reformat them and start over. I haven't tried reformatting my slow drives yet as I need to juggle some storage before I'll be ready to wipe 'em.

Reactions: osplo

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Those cache files.. Anyway assuming using usb. Get a different cable. That was my problem with my studio.
If you mean me -- my externals are in a 4-bay Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. I do have a new TB cable on hand, though, so I'll swap it for the old one and see how it goes.

The drives are 6 and 8 tb spinners, and one SSD. The SSD does come up a little faster.

The point, though, is that with Monterey and my iMac Pro this just didn't happen. It began when I got the Studio. Nothing else changed.

HOO BOY! I just connected my M2Pro Macbook Pro to the 4 bay TB enclosure and the disk with (among other things) 33,947 Nikon D850 RAW images opened immediately and showed me the images.

So it seems very likely that Sonoma 14.0 solves the problem.

I guess I'll upgrade the Studio, but doing so means I won't be able to use an app I very much like. Oh well.

Last edited:

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Thanks,
How is it going now? Still good?
Cheers

Not entirely.

I found that the key event that fixes things is a simple restart. For me, anyway. A Safe Mode start is like a restart, in a way. The last thing that Onyx does after deleting this and that is to restart. I'm not saying that using Onyx and doing a Safe Mode start didn't help overall, but it seems that just cleaning something out in memory by a restart is the big thing. Note: Force Quitting Finder doesn't do anything for me with regard to this bug.

If Sonoma fixes this, I'd be very pleased.

PT_jal

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2023
Experienced issues with external 4TB M.2 SSD on my Mac Studio M2 Max running Sonoma.
It took 1-2 minutes with spinning wheel for the OS to find the disk after plugging it in. And I noticed lagging in software while the disk was connected, I need the external storage connected for software library.

I did try different solutions mentioned in this tread.
What finally helped me was formating disk as ExFat and not APFS. Now the disk shows up instantly most times, some times I get a delay for 5-10 seconds after plugging it in. The Mac Studio feels smoother to work on now, was really disappointed of the Mac Studio perfomance before formating to ExFat. Hope Apple can figure out the issue with external drives.

Reactions: smirking

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
FWIW I had exactly this problem after upgrading to Ventura on my Mac Studio. The two external drives (2 x MyBookDuo 28TB) were taking up to 30 seconds to mount and populate with folders. For me, deleting CP210xVCPDriver from the Applications folder restored everything to the original speed. The driver reinstalled itself on the next startup.

I have no idea what was really happening though, but this might be helpful to someone.
CP210xVCPDriver was among my applications too. I still have the installer that came from the Tamron lens website
I deleted everything, extensions, shared files etc, restarted and didn't reinstall itself

mortsmel

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
Hello, is it possible to give me some internal information as to what your ticket is so I can say hey i'm experiencing this same issue, to put a fire under their butt?Not yet just an email today saying it’s still with engineering.

Last edited:

mortsmel

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
I have a similar problem, but it didn't affect my external drives, but a Logitech Streamcam.
After the update to Ventura the camera started having audio problems. I experienced the bug before a couple of years ago and sorted it out after understanding that the camera has to be connected to a USB3 bus (slower will trigger the issue).

I went to check System Profiler and, after the update to Ventura, the USB3 bus where the camera is connected shows USB2 speeds.
I didn't touch the hardware at all.
switch from usb-3 to usb-c if your camera has a usb-c connector. we experienced the same thing, but it remedied it.

MikeDiaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Dec 2023 MacStudio Max M2 OSX14 still same problem as others.
connected two external drives on thunderbolt 3ports . one is crucial x6 1TB SSD other is San Disk Sata 1TB SSD in enclosure . Copying 50GB file from San Disk SSD Sata Enclosure to Crucial X6 SSD . It goes from Max Sata 450MBps to a horrific slow 35MBps !! Within a few seconds its Slows!!
funny part is when I speed test them both on Black Magic SSD speed test moving 2 GB , it consistently shows correct maxed out read write speeds .
800MBps+ read/ write for the X6 SSD and 450MBps+ read /write for the San Disk ! W t F is going on here Apple engineers?

Reactions: katbel and BKDad

MikeDiaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Oh my, apparently the whole SSD revolution is 90 percent nonsense as after some deep research . I finally am gathering an understanding of how write caching works and how low quality SSD memory and pricing works . I have found solace in going to TOMs Hardware for any SSD related testing and results . Everyone should pay attention to the 15minutes of sustained writes test and who can get above 1GB a seconds sustained writes in the bar graph!! not many SSD's can hit this level at a cheap price!! Busted these SSD makers ! Just had to study this
especially for Sequential SUSTAINED write test . no one else is doing a full 15 minutes + slamming terabytes of write data test.
Look at this example ,scroll down to the Sequitial write test !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.