Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laiteau974

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Ok so it has been downloaded, but an error as occur in the installation, so now I’m back to square 1 with 15Gb hidden files that I need to delete !!!!!

Laiteau974

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
This time it was not in the Mac OS install data file but in a clean application for Sequoia installer so it was easier than I though.

a_hammertime

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I'm having the same issues. It's pretty infuriating. Although apparently Apple has a fix for it sometime this week according to someone on reddit. Anticipated to arrive this week. So I guess we will see.

adadfromflorida

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 19.09.33.png

iBookmaster

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
I would try creating a new user in Settings/Users & Groups/Add User... Log out of the current user you are using and update from the new user account.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I had this issue with an M1 mini going from one of the betas to the release candidate version (which is the same as the final release.) To fix it I had to put the mini into DFU mode and use another Mac and Apple Configurator to revive the firmware on the mini. Once that was done, I was able to install the 15.0 update without error.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I had this issue with an M1 mini going from one of the betas to the release candidate version (which is the same as the final release.) To fix it I had to put the mini into DFU mode and use another Mac and Apple Configurator to revive the firmware on the mini. Once that was done, I was able to install the 15.0 update without error.
Nice, but we shouldn't have to fuss around and waste our time with all that just to install or update our OS. This is entirely ALL on Apple. And some of us don't have the luxury of having more than 1 mac. Such a PITA really. Never had so much problems trying to update macOS before. This is a first.

oHaze

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Im having the same issue! made an account just to post this. I just bought this m3 pro 1tb storage and 36gb with my own money (im a teenager) this month for my hobbies and work, and first my cable didnt work so I called online and was on the phone for 3hr and finally got replacement and now ts happens? not putting a good impression for my first apple computer. get it together apple

Reactions: Bob_DM

Taylors3

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2023
I keep getting this window that pops up whenever I try to update to macOS Sequoia. I am currently on macOS 14.6.1. I'm on an M1 MacBook Pro. It's driving me nuts because I never had problems updating macOS before.
Seems a lot of us are having this issue. I assume and hope Apple will address it over the next few days. We'll just have to be patient

Reactions: BroTim52

Snowleopard7

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Philippines
I’m having the same problem. Purchased my MBP M3 Max less than 2 weeks ago. I’m guessing by all the posts of different supported Macs, that this must be an Apple issue. Hopefully they will have it straightened out within a couple of days.

Update: I followed the list from the WiFi on and off to the forget network and establish it again. I booted into safe mode and downloaded Sequoia but when it came to installing it, ” an error occurred preparing the update, failed to personalize the software update”. I figured I would run through the online Apple support. I tried to reinstall Sonoma from recovery but had same error. I erased my drive and went into recovery. When it got time to put in for the activation lock password (because this fool forgot to turn off find my device) it failed activation. So long story short I took it in to the Apple Store I originally bought it from, and they hooked it up to their MacBook. Had me delete my device on iCloud and rebooted Sonoma for me. It was done pretty quick. I’m home and the update to Sequoia seems better than before. It finished and restarted and currently watching it update. Finally! It booted into Sequoia.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpeg
    IMG_1988.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

abhi988

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
I would try turning off wifi, turning it back on and try updating again. If that doesn't work, I would shut down then start up in safe mode. Then try updating.
Hello guys,
This solution solved my issue.

I turned off my Wi-Fi.
Then turned it back on.
Then shut my Mac down.
Switched it back on.
Opened the Mac App Store.
Selected MacOS Sequoia and clicked on Get.
It redirected me to the System Settings and started downloading the MacOS Sequoia.

BroTim52

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
KY
Hello guys,
This solution solved my issue.

I turned off my Wi-Fi.
Then turned it back on.
Then shut my Mac down.
Switched it back on.
Opened the Mac App Store.
Selected MacOS Sequoia and clicked on Get.
It redirected me to the System Settings and started downloading the MacOS Sequoia.
So did this work for you?

aquintanar

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
I tried to update my Mac Book Pro M1 to macOS Sequoia, but I kept running into an error: "failed to personalize the software update." It was incredibly frustrating, especially since I tried every common troubleshooting step without success. If you’re facing the same issue, here’s what happened to me and how I finally solved it.

I tried:​

• Restarting my Mac multiple times
  • Switching networks to see if that was the issue
  • Ensuring that storage space wasn’t an issue
Despite all of these efforts, nothing seemed to work.

Use the App Store​

After a lot of trial and error, I found a solution that worked for me. Instead of using the Software Update menu in System Settings, I went to the App Store. Here’s what I did:

1. Opened the App Store.
  2. Searched for macOS Sequoia in the search bar.
  3. Instead of downloading it through the update section, I clicked on "Get" next to macOS Sequoia.
And to my surprise, the download started smoothly without any issues.

One thing that caught my attention was that the download size for macOS Sequoia through the Software Update menu was 6 GB, but when I downloaded it through the App Store, it was a much larger 14 GB. I’m not entirely sure why this difference exists, but after downloading the larger version from the App Store, the update also failed. No solution found.

Last edited:
  • Sad

ichilenoq

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2022
I tried to update my Mac Book Pro M1 to macOS Sequoia, but I kept running into an error: "failed to personalize the software update." It was incredibly frustrating, especially since I tried every common troubleshooting step without success. If you’re facing the same issue, here’s what happened to me and how I finally solved it.

The Solution: Use the App Store​

After a lot of trial and error, I found a solution that worked for me. Instead of using the Software Update menu in System Settings, I went to the App Store. Here’s what I did:

1. Opened the App Store.
  3. Instead of downloading it through the update section, I clicked on "Get" next to macOS Sequoia.

One thing that caught my attention was that the download size for macOS Sequoia through the Software Update menu was 6 GB, but when I downloaded it through the App Store, it was a much larger 14 GB. I’m not entirely sure why this difference exists, but after downloading the larger version from the App Store, the update installed without a hitch and everything worked perfectly.
I also downloaded the stand alone update but it did not work for me I still get the error.

BroTim52

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
KY

Use the App Store​

1. Opened the App Store.

One thing that caught my attention was that the download size for macOS Sequoia through the Software Update menu was 6 GB, but when I downloaded it through the App Store, it was a much larger 14 GB. I’m not entirely sure why this difference exists, but after downloading the larger version from the App Store, the update also failed. No solution found.
Yes tried that, and didn’t work! C’mon Apple!

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
One thing that caught my attention was that the download size for macOS Sequoia through the Software Update menu was 6 GB, but when I downloaded it through the App Store, it was a much larger 14 GB.
Software Update downloads what is required to update your specific Mac from its current state. The download through the App Store (and other sources) is the complete macOS 15 with everything needed for any Mac to install to a blank disk.

Sephiroth0

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
I was able to upgrade my MBP from 2018 yesterday but my MBP M3 refuses to udpate. I've tried both ways, via system settings and app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.