Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lshin037

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
I was able to upgrade my MBP from 2018 yesterday but my MBP M3 refuses to udpate. I've tried both ways, via system settings and app store.
About the same issue for me. Was able to update my M1 mini and mba but cant update the m3 mbp.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Nice, but we shouldn't have to fuss around and waste our time with all that just to install or update our OS. This is entirely ALL on Apple. And some of us don't have the luxury of having more than 1 mac. Such a PITA really. Never had so much problems trying to update macOS before. This is a first.
Of course we shouldn't have to do this, but it's a way to solve the problem for people who don't want to wait for an alternative fix.

biaksoy

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
As a MacBook Pro M3 user, I am also experiencing the same issue, and nothing I have tried has fixed it. I started the MacBook in safe mode and tried, but it didn’t work. I even got the same error while trying to reinstall macOS, etc. I hope the problem isn’t on my end, but unfortunately, I feel like it’s never going to be resolved... I hope I can manage to install the new version as soon as possible.

Swapnil_1702

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Last week I purchased new Macbook M3 Air. I am trying to update it to Sequoia but i am getting error message. I tried to search online but not able to find any solution. I tried to install update in safe mode as well but didn’t work. I installed updated by running the command sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R I am able to download it but still while installing the update it’s giving issues and I am getting an error message as unable to install the update I also tried installing 14.7 but no luck and getting the same error message as attached in screenshot.

Attachments

• IMG_2441.jpeg
    IMG_2441.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 31

Laiteau974

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Last week I purchased new Macbook M3 Air. I am trying to update it to Sequoia but i am getting error message. I tried to search online but not able to find any solution. I tried to install update in safe mode as well but didn’t work. I installed updated by running the command sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R I am able to download it but still while installing the update it’s giving issues and I am getting an error message as unable to install the update I also tried installing 14.7 but no luck and getting the same error message as attached in screenshot.
Don't worry I'm in the exact same situation. It's Apple.

Laiteau974

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
As a MacBook Pro M3 user, I am also experiencing the same issue, and nothing I have tried has fixed it. I started the MacBook in safe mode and tried, but it didn’t work. I even got the same error while trying to reinstall macOS, etc. I hope the problem isn’t on my end, but unfortunately, I feel like it’s never going to be resolved... I hope I can manage to install the new version as soon as possible.
Make sure if you failed reinstalling Mac OS that you delete the Mac OS install data file in your disk that is taking space for nothing

Swapnil_1702

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Make sure if you failed reinstalling Mac OS that you delete the Mac OS install data file in your disk that is taking space for nothing
I have this problem and I can see my macos showing 30 GB size. How I can delete data from my disk? Could You please help?

Laiteau974

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Go to terminal in your launchpad then type sudo rm -rf "/macOS Install Data you will be ask to enter you password, then you will be able to delete all the files inside the macOS install data, you can't actually delete the file I think.

BroTim52

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
KY
Software Update downloads what is required to update your specific Mac from its current state. The download through the App Store (and other sources) is the complete macOS 15 with everything needed for any Mac to install to a blank disk.
As of yesterday it wasn’t working on many M3 machines for some reason

jabachaba

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
i suspect its a problem with the m3 chips or something because my sister has an imac that has the m1 chip and it installed the update just fine

BigScott

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
I have a MacBrook Pro M3, same issue. I have tried all the aforementioned suggestions with no joy. I contacted Apple last night, and they called me back. I spent an hour with them on the phone, and have an open case # for the call. They told me prob is on their end and to wait a week or so for it to be resolved and to try again then. Frustrating. Oh well. Oddly enough, my much older iMac and my Mac Studio updated just fine. So the wait begins.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Same for me, I can't even install Sonoma 14.7.
Just as a point of reference, I did not have a problem installing 14.7 (M2 MBA via wifi). As is my usual practice I am holding off installing Sequoia for awhile.

krasiaa123

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Haha, okay, let's spice this up a bit:
So... heavily sighs...
It's actually hilarious. I had zero intention of diving into Sequoia. No, yesterday my big-brain plan was just to split my SSD for two macOS installs for... personal reasons, let's say. But noooo, not even Sonoma was feeling it. Sequoia? Ha, forget about it. I swear, the firmware and recovery system on these devices must be borked beyond reason, because I can’t even lower my boot security from recovery mode! SPI? Out of the question. And don't even get me started on the macOS reinstall attempt on that new partition. It's like my Mac gave me a virtual "nope" and threw an error in my face.

I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but like… this is borderline ridiculous. I'm not even aiming for the fancy Sequoia stuff, just trying to chill with macOS Sonoma 14.7 (actually stuck at 14.6.1, Build 23G93 if you're keeping track). And guess what? I can't even install a second macOS on this thing (because it's broken). Oh, and the kicker? I lost a solid hour and a half talking with Apple support, only to be told that it’s a wonderful opportunity to visit an Apple Store (oh, the irony, because there’s no official Apple Store in Bulgaria) or, if I’m feeling extra spicy, I could always hook it up to another Mac and use Apple Configurator to revive it! Like…excuse me?

And now what? After a whopping 18 hours of research, plus that call with Apple, their solution is to completely wipe my Mac, reinstall recovery, and reflash the firmware. Are we stuck in 2001? With the M-series architecture being as amazing as it is, they should really be taking care of these devices properly. Customers shouldn’t need to reimage their machines because Apple screwed up. I literally have no words. None. This issue is not new at all, and this time the situation hit the fan seriously on me...

If you ask if my device is enrolled in MDM - NO!

Please take a seat and review some of the art pieces available below:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 5.49.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 5.49.25 PM.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 5.41.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 5.41.29 PM.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 5.47.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 5.47.00 PM.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 6.19.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 6.19.58 PM.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    456.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

adadfromflorida

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Haha, okay, let's spice this up a bit:
So... heavily sighs...
It's actually hilarious. I had zero intention of diving into Sequoia. No, yesterday my big-brain plan was just to split my SSD for two macOS installs for... personal reasons, let's say. But noooo, not even Sonoma was feeling it. Sequoia? Ha, forget about it. I swear, the firmware and recovery system on these devices must be borked beyond reason, because I can’t even lower my boot security from recovery mode! SPI? Out of the question. And don't even get me started on the macOS reinstall attempt on that new partition. It's like my Mac gave me a virtual "nope" and threw an error in my face.

I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but like… this is borderline ridiculous. I'm not even aiming for the fancy Sequoia stuff, just trying to chill with macOS Sonoma 14.7 (actually stuck at 14.6.1, Build 23G93 if you're keeping track). And guess what? I can't even install a second macOS on this thing (because it's broken). Oh, and the kicker? I lost a solid hour and a half talking with Apple support, only to be told that it’s a wonderful opportunity to visit an Apple Store (oh, the irony, because there’s no official Apple Store in Bulgaria) or, if I’m feeling extra spicy, I could always hook it up to another Mac and use Apple Configurator to revive it! Like…excuse me?

And now what? After a whopping 18 hours of research, plus that call with Apple, their solution is to completely wipe my Mac, reinstall recovery, and reflash the firmware. Are we stuck in 2001? With the M-series architecture being as amazing as it is, they should really be taking care of these devices properly. Customers shouldn’t need to reimage their machines because Apple screwed up. I literally have no words. None. This issue is not new at all, and this time the situation hit the fan seriously on me...
100% with you. If this keeps happening I’m might just gonna go back to PC.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I hope this doesn't happen to me. iMac M3. I have it set to auto update and install. Same with my wife MBA 15" M2. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread just in case.

Swapnil_1702

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
To be honest I have a brand new MacBook Air M3 and it didn’t work at all. I tried the WiFi, I tried the restart, DFU, I tried restoring my OS which brought an other error which leaded to a Mac OS system data file worth of 15Gb of trash in my disk and I took 20 minutes to figure out how to delete it…
I also can’t update to Sonoma 14.7
Apple just wanted to launch there OS early and they sucked that’s all
Hey I am having the same problem. Mac OS system data file worth of 15Gb of trash in my disk as well. Could you please let me know how I can delete this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.