Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhi988

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Hello guys,
This solution solved my issue.

I turned off my Wi-Fi.
Then turned it back on.
Then shut my Mac down.
Switched it back on.
Opened the Mac App Store.
Selected MacOS Sequoia and clicked on Get.
It redirected me to the System Settings and started downloading the MacOS Sequoia.
Update to this: it didn't work. I did some research and found out that the issue is related to the firmware.
The solution is to put the MacBook (with issue) into DFU mode and restore it from another working Mac using Apple Configurator, an application available in the Mac App Store.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
So far no issues.

Upgraded M1 Studio Base Max to latest Sonoma 14.7 yesterday and then Sequoia this morning with no issues. All my apps seem to work fine and even my ancient HP 4000 LaserJet still works! (with a couple of past macOS updates, it broke printing badly and took multiple delete and reinstall printer escapades to get it back in action).

Did the same Sonoma 14.7 update yesterday on M3 Pro MBP and just completed 2nd error free Sequoia upgrade.

Edit- M1 Studio Base Max had 10 GB Ethernet no connection issue. Posted about it here.

Last edited:

leonlink

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Update to this: it didn't work. I did some research and found out that the issue is related to the firmware.
The solution is to put the MacBook (with issue) into DFU mode and restore it from another working Mac using Apple Configurator, an application available in the Mac App Store.
Hi, I have an M3 Pro and can't update to 14.7 neither to 15.0. My firmware is 10151.140.19. Have you read which firmwares are involved in this bug?

Reactions: Lordofthedark

abhi988

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Hi, I have an M3 Pro and can't update to 14.7 neither to 15.0. My firmware is 10151.140.19. Have you read which firmwares are involved in this bug?
There is no specific firmware provided as this issue has been prevailing from MacOS BigSur; which means this issue specifically affects all Apple silicon chipsets.

mchall1564

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Same issues as everybody else. Newly purchased M3 Macbook air last week. Not able to resolve using Apple support and they have booked in this weekend for the restore fix from another working Mac running Sequoia at our local Apple store. Not sure if this will resolve future updates until I speak to them. Can't see any other choice ( Apple didn't seem to know of a fix apart from the restore)

Zelegorm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
I am really sick of this. The quality is getting worse with every release. I usually have had never any issues with software updates. That is the worst case scenario

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

untkay

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Boston
Same problem here. Running macOS Sequoia Developer Beta Apple M2
System Firmware Version: 11881.1.1
System Version: macOS 15.0 (24A335)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You can just revive the firmware. It's not necessary to do a full restore. Once the revive is done, you can then successfully upgrade.

Mike57000

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
Be careful : I had to restore my MacbookPro M1. It was impossible to update with complete installer, from recovery or when booting from a USB key installer. I chose to save, erase my Mac and then to install Sequoia.
But my Mac was impossible to activate ("failed to activate device").

I used my desktop Mac to try to revive or to restore with Configurator 2 in DFU mode. Even with the last .ipsw (UniversalMac_15.0_24A335 Restore), it was a complete fail ("AMRestoreErrorDomain erreur 10 - Failed to handle message type StatusMsg (Protocol error)) [AMRestoreErrorDomain - 0xA (10)]"). The Mac displayed the Prohibit sign at startup. End of game.

Hopefully, an update to the finder was proposed on the Desktop Mac (still on Sonoma) and a restore FROM THE FINDER finally worked ! I'm reinstalling my Time Machine backup now... but that was really stressful.

So wait for Apple explanations and solutions...

nb : to enter DFU mode, press opt-alt-right maj-power when the Mac is ON ! Count till ten (it will switch off at 8), then press only power button 2 seconds and you are directly in DFU mode. It's far easier than Apple Support page.

passkal

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Mac Studio, was Beta 8, upgraded to RC 24A335 (which is same version as Release) started to get error about "Extensions needed to be rebuilt". (would keep asking on each reboot and giving permission to said extensions in Security in Privacy as instructed it did not change anything, kept asking at every boot)
Rebooting on my existing macOS 14 partition, realize the extensions problem is there as well now!
  • Decided to try to install macOS 15 release on a new volume from my existing macOS 14 partition, no luck. Getting the same "failed to personalize the software update" as everyone reports here....
  • Tried with bootable USB key, no luck.
  • Tried using direct link to App Store provided in an earlier post here (which in my view was the same as going on the App store normally), no luck.
  • Out of options and a bit impatient, decided to backup my stuff and do "Erase mac" to start over. Biggest mistake, now I can't re-install any OS at all. It fails on startup at the "Activate your Mac" window ("failed to activate"). Network connection not an issue.
Called Apple Support, could not fix remotely. Have to visit Apple store with the machine.

Laiteau974

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
Mac Studio, was Beta 8, upgraded to RC 24A335 (which is same version as Release) started to get error about "Extensions needed to be rebuilt". (would keep asking on each reboot and giving permission to said extensions in Security in Privacy as instructed it did not change anything, kept asking at every boot)
Rebooting on my existing macOS 14 partition, realize the extensions problem is there as well now!
Decided to try to install macOS 15 release on a new volume from my existing macOS 14 partition, no luck.
Tried with bootable USB key, no luck.
Tried using direct link to App Store provided in an earlier post here (which in my view was the same as going on the App store normally), no luck.
Out of options and a bit impatient, decided to backup my stuff and do "Erase mac" to start over.
Biggest mistake, now I can't re-install any OS at all. It fails on startup at the "Activate your Mac" window ("failed to activate"). Network connection not an issue.
Called Apple Support, could not fix remotely. Have to visit Apple store with the machine.
That’s so ****ing horrible

jabachaba

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
To be honest I have a brand new MacBook Air M3 and it didn’t work at all. I tried the WiFi, I tried the restart, DFU, I tried restoring my OS which brought an other error which leaded to a Mac OS system data file worth of 15Gb of trash in my disk and I took 20 minutes to figure out how to delete it…
I also can’t update to Sonoma 14.7
Apple just wanted to launch there OS early and they sucked that’s all
me too! same laptop and everything

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I got a system extension error loop after updating to Sequoia on my MacBook Air M1. Could not get it resolved in any of the ways I have documented. Trying safe mode, I get the error everyone else is getting here. My other known issue since the update is that Home Bridge using UTM just stops, and everything connected to it shows no response in Homekit.

dan71

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
Same here with my MacBook Pro M1 Pro (14 inches).
Called Apple Yesterday, told me that the fix will arrive Friday...
Will try from time to time....
Will follow this thread....
Strange that Apple does not show that on their site...we need to search for it in forums...
Regards,

supersetya

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
My MacBook Air M2 encountered the same problem when trying to update to macOS Sequoia. After trying various solutions, I decided to erase all content and settings, including my partition. Then, I performed a DFU restore and installed Sonoma 14.6.1. After the DFU and fresh OS installation, I was able to update to macOS Sequoia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.