Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Has anyone been successful with the Auto Update and Install process? I’m not doing the update manually and will let it do it on its own. Hopefully it won’t fail as I’m seeing here on this thread.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Mac Studio running the previous Sequoia betas RC, getting some system extension errors, can't update as well. Lets hope its not only a DFU solution.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
what a mess i had to do DFU mode to get a mac restored we thinkig a 15.0.1 update is needed to fix these issues?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
This is beyond ridiculous. Never had I've experienced something this bad from Apple as far as OS installation/updates goes. I will wait for Apple to fix the issue. I'm definitely not going to take the risk of reving, restoring and doing this DFU shenaningans. Sorry to hear that some of you are having such a terrible outcome and so much time and energy wasted for nothing.

I'm on an M1 MBP here, and am the OP who first posted about this issue only to find out that it wasn't only me.

Reactions: Bob_DM and oHaze

Eddie089

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
I solved it. For me, it was a VPN issue, I disabled the VPN and it worked. When you guys mentioned internet issues I tried it and it worked so, my suggestion try turning off any VPN (internet filter, pr0n filters) or proxy and try updating.

Reactions: iBookmaster

FelixVasquez20

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
I was able to update by reviving the firmware via a second M1 MBA. This is not feasible for most users, but it seems like the only way to properly update MacOS. I accidentally bricked my M1 MBP at first, but managed to finish the revive after some tinkering. This should not be happening at all.

Reactions: Bob_DM

Mike57000

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
I was able to update by reviving the firmware via a second M1 MBA. This is not feasible for most users, but it seems like the only way to properly update MacOS. I accidentally bricked my M1 MBP at first, but managed to finish the revive after some tinkering. This should not be happening at all.
Absolutely. I've never seen the prohibit sign before.

Reactions: FelixVasquez20

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
I had this issue. For me, it appeared to be linked to DNS settings.

Sequoia installed, but iCloud apps would not work.

1. I was using Cloudflare’s `1.1.1.1` on on Macs, and they had the ’failed to personalize the software update’ message.
  2. I deleted the Cloudflare settings so that the Macs were using the default DNS values.
  3. Software update then completed, and apps like Messages, FaceTime, Find My, etc started to work.
  4. I then enabled Cloudflare again and the Macs continued to work.

Might not work for other users, but …

krasiaa123

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
How to revive or restore Mac firmwareHaha, okay, let's spice this up a bit:
So... heavily sighs...
It's actually hilarious. I had zero intention of diving into Sequoia. No, yesterday my big-brain plan was just to split my SSD for two macOS installs for... personal reasons, let's say. But noooo, not even Sonoma was feeling it. Sequoia? Ha, forget about it. I swear, the firmware and recovery system on these devices must be borked beyond reason, because I can’t even lower my boot security from recovery mode! SPI? Out of the question. And don't even get me started on the macOS reinstall attempt on that new partition. It's like my Mac gave me a virtual "nope" and threw an error in my face.

I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but like… this is borderline ridiculous. I'm not even aiming for the fancy Sequoia stuff, just trying to chill with macOS Sonoma 14.7 (actually stuck at 14.6.1, Build 23G93 if you're keeping track). And guess what? I can't even install a second macOS on this thing (because it's broken). Oh, and the kicker? I lost a solid hour and a half talking with Apple support, only to be told that it’s a wonderful opportunity to visit an Apple Store (oh, the irony, because there’s no official Apple Store in Bulgaria) or, if I’m feeling extra spicy, I could always hook it up to another Mac and use Apple Configurator to revive it! Like…excuse me?

And now what? After a whopping 18 hours of research, plus that call with Apple, their solution is to completely wipe my Mac, reinstall recovery, and reflash the firmware. Are we stuck in 2001? With the M-series architecture being as amazing as it is, they should really be taking care of these devices properly. Customers shouldn’t need to reimage their machines because Apple screwed up. I literally have no words. None. This issue is not new at all, and this time the situation hit the fan seriously on me...

If you ask if my device is enrolled in MDM - NO!

Please take a seat and review some of the art pieces available below:

!!! UPDATE | UPDATE | UPDATE | UPDATE | UPDATE | UPDATE !!!

Let me tell you about the absolute worst experience I’ve had at iStyle Bulgaria, one of the most "famous" Apple Premium Resellers in Bulgaria.

To keep it short, because this story has already drained my soul: The workers there have no idea what Apple Configurator is. Like, seriously? They refused to install it on their devices at first. Then, I asked them multiple times if I could just use one of their demo machines to fix it myself, you know, performing a simple Revive procedure while my Mac was in DFU mode. And of course, they denied that too. Instead, they offered me the wonderful solution of handing my Mac over to their repair department. Which, by the way, could take weeks — and that’s just not happening for me.

At this point, I was getting really upset. I even said I’d buy a new MacBook just to revive the one I already have.
Then, one of the workers had the audacity to offer to guide HIM through the process — for a price! They wanted 99 BGN (around $56.28 USD) to let me guide THEM through this! Like, what? Excuse me? I’m not paying for a process that’s completely free at any legitimate Apple Store in other countries. Not today, Satan. How in the world you do not know Apple Configurator...

So, in my frustration, I ended up impulsively buying a MacBook Air with M2, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD for about $1193.85 USD, just so I could revive my new MacBook Pro M3 Pro (18GB RAM, 1TB SSD). Yes, you read that right. Apple has driven me to the point where I had to buy another MacBook just to fix the one I already have. Some people can’t just throw money away like this, and here I am, tossing $1200 in the trash just to save my primary device.

You seriously can’t imagine what Apple is putting me through…

Solution:

Additionally...
Guys, I’m really sorry to inform you, but some of you might have to endure this painful process if you don’t have an Apple Store nearby. If you happen to have a second Mac device running macOS, though, consider yourselves somewhat lucky.

The Revive procedure won’t necessarily wipe your data off your MacBook, but to be safe, it’s a good idea to back up your data beforehand—either with your favorite backup software or a simple Time Machine backup if possible. Once I completed the revive process, I was finally able to Reduce Security through the Startup Security Utility (Before that, I couldn’t do anything. You’re not required to handle any of these steps; I’m just letting you know that everything is working normally now. Previously, I wasn’t able to adjust any settings in the recovery). After rebooting, I successfully upgraded to macOS Sequoia without any issues, and I even had the option to install a secondary macOS for personal reasons on the same device — completely hassle-free.

Please be cautious, and check out the links below, which can guide you through the process:
1.Back up your Mac with Time Machine - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/104984
2. How to revive or restore Mac firmware - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/108900

After successful Revive please try to update through App Store or Software Updates.

Hope this helps y'all...

• Sad
Reactions: 212rikanmofo

crimemastergogo

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Facing similar issue. Escalated the issue with Apple support and I don't want to take my mac mini m2 to service centre for revive and recover process.

crimemastergogo

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
I have already tried restarting my machine, switching to different wifi network, safe mode, Recovery also failed with error message, uninstalled VPN, Kaspersky and Adguard and even updated the DNS to 8.8.8.8
Attaching the recovery failure popup.

Attachments

• PXL_20240917_181518263.jpg
    PXL_20240917_181518263.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 56

iBookmaster

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
I had the 24A335 golden master beta on my M2 Mac mini so I didn't need to update but, I had the 15.1 beta on my M1 14" MacBook Pro so I wanted to erase and install. I did so with no problems but, it wouldn't install Sequoia directly. After erasing, the only option that showed up was previous Sonoma. After installing that and restoring from Time Machine backup files, I updated to Sequoia from the App Store with no problems. My wife's M1 13" MacBook Pro also had the golden master 24A335 beta so, I didn't update hers either. Either way, there were no problems doing any of this and I didn't have any VPNs installed as someone said that was one of the problems with internet connection messages. I also remember someone saying after talking to either an Apple Store employee or Apple over the phone to expect an update this Friday. Let's hope they get this fixed. It's been all good for me though.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
After trying a factory reset on my Air M3, I got an error stating my Mac couldn't be activated. Only thing that would bring it back was a DFU restore. I'm back in business. What a giant hassle of an upgrade that was.

Hannah_

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2021
I have tried every "solution" I have found on the internet regarding this issue and still no luck installing Sequoia. This Mac mini is within the 14 day return policy so I am going to bring it to Apple tomorrow and return it and get a new one. Hopefully I won't have the same issue.

Last edited:

Bob_DM

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
Kessel-lo - Belgium
After trying a factory reset on my Air M3, I got an error stating my Mac couldn't be activated. Only thing that would bring it back was a DFU restore. I'm back in business. What a giant hassle of an upgrade that was.
I have the same issue with MacBook Air M1, M1&M2pro mini’s updated without problem. Even tried to remove the Air from my devices. Luckily I made a Time Machine back-up before … I feel very sorry for all people not having a second recent Mac and experience with DFU! Or any Apple experience at all …

N74JW

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Philly PA, USA
Same boat here. Mac Mini 2020 M1, currently running the Sequoia Public Beta. Adjusting the update channel to either the Developer beta or 15.1 Developer beta throws update error everyone here is experiencing. I'm not going through all of the various steps to try and resolve. Lousy situation though.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

Citaro

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Same in Europe on iMac whit apple chip ! Until RC I was Abel to install no problem betas ! But update to RC fails ! Kill update process reload update ? No help !! 🤪🤪 even safe mode and install again from there no fix !! Try to update to 15.1 and you now it …. Same error !!!wTF?? Never such a problem!
Stay tuned for a fix !!!🙃🙃🙃🙃

mansy77

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
hello, I registered here because i have the same issue...1 week old M3 and i can't install macos Sequoia, same error message.
I don't have access to another Mac to try the procedure described earlier in this thread. Does anyone know if Apple plans to release a fix? or this will be the only way for us to upgrade to Sequoia?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.