Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supergoose

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
I guess I'll add my 2 cents for more info for all. I have been running the dev beta since day 1 on my MacBook Air M1 2020 model. I have had zero problems. The other day Sequoia 15.1 dev beta 4 came out alongside the public release. So I was updating a 15.1 beta 3 system to 15.1 beta4 and it too is broken! Trying many times I kept getting the personalized error. I disabled wifi, hot-spotted off my phone and was able to download the new beta. Weird. I cannot install it however as I now get an installation error. So this is not just the final release having this issue.

alessandro1

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Hey everyone, I just made this account to share my experience because I know how frustrating this issue can be. I kept getting the “Failed to personalize software update” message while trying to install macOS Sequoia, and I tried everything—installing through Settings, the App Store, Safe Mode, and even reinstalling macOS via Recovery Mode. Nothing worked.

What finally did the trick was putting my Mac in DFU mode and using another Mac to revive it. Thankfully, I didn’t lose any data, and after that, I was able to install the update through the settings with no problems. I’d definitely recommend doing a backup first, just to be safe.

If you need the instructions, you can find them here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/108900

Now I’m running with no issues. Hope this helps someone out there!

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Hey everyone, I just made this account to share my experience because I know how frustrating this issue can be. I kept getting the “Failed to personalize software update” message while trying to install macOS Sequoia, and I tried everything—installing through Settings, the App Store, Safe Mode, and even reinstalling macOS via Recovery Mode. Nothing worked.

What finally did the trick was putting my Mac in DFU mode and using another Mac to revive it. Thankfully, I didn’t lose any data, and after that, I was able to install the update through the settings with no problems. I’d definitely recommend doing a backup first, just to be safe.

If you need the instructions, you can find them here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/108900

Only problem is, I don't have the luxury of having access to another mac in order to try this method.

Reactions: oHaze

ArtemMoshkovich

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Only problem is, I don't have the luxury of having access to another mac in order to try this method.

Then, you only have two choices:
  1. Wait out Apple's hotfix, targeted for end-of-week.
  2. Schedule an appointment at your nearest Apple Store, to have an on-site tech do the DFU Revive via Apple Configurator on one of the countless Macs they have on-hand.

muxilla

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Same situation here: brand new MacBook Air M3, I tried everything I could find in forums and some comments, but nothing worked.

When I got the MacBook, it came with an older version of Sonoma 14.x.x Then I upgraded it to 14.6.1. From there I wanted to go to Sequoia 15.0, which lead to the issues described in this thread. Same for 14.7, and also same for trying to reinstall in recovery mode. Could not personalize upgrade …

After reading some weird stories of people getting their mainboard swapped, I was really desperate to get the MacBook fixed without performing a DFU firmware update - or even bringing it in for repair.

I was finally able to get 15.0 installed, but I had to erase everything. If you can afford/accept wiping all your data, this is how I did it:

Go to system settings and perform a factory reset:

1. Go to system settings -> General
  2. Click „Transfer or Reset“
  3. Click „Erase All Content and Settings“
  4. Login to your Apple account and confirm everything
  5. Activate your wifi or use a cable after reboot - Register your MacBook on the page that appears
After that, I was able to successfully go to 14.7 and then to 15.0.

If you got a brand new system, this should not be much of a problem- else consider to backup and restore your data.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I'm not sure why this problem even exists to begin with. It makes no sense as to what is causing this. Apple needs to release an update regarding this for those of us who are experiencing this.

ArtemMoshkovich

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
I'm not sure why this problem even exists to begin with. It makes no sense as to what is causing this. Apple needs to release an update regarding this for those of us who are experiencing this.

They are. That's what I mentioned in my last reply to you. Apple Engineering is more than aware of the widespread cases and Apple Junior & Senior support agents are advising a hotfix release by end of week.

ArtemMoshkovich

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Same situation here: brand new MacBook Air M3, I tried everything I could find in forums and some comments, but nothing worked.

When I got the MacBook, it came with an older version of Sonoma 14.x.x Then I upgraded it to 14.6.1. From there I wanted to go to Sequoia 15.0, which lead to the issues described in this thread. Same for 14.7, and also same for trying to reinstall in recovery mode. Could not personalize upgrade …

After reading some weird stories of people getting their mainboard swapped, I was really desperate to get the MacBook fixed without performing a DFU firmware update - or even bringing it in for repair.

I was finally able to get 15.0 installed, but I had to erase everything. If you can afford/accept wiping all your data, this is how I did it:

Go to system settings and perform a factory reset:

1. Go to system settings -> General
  2. Click „Transfer or Reset“
  3. Click „Erase All Content and Settings“
  4. Login to your Apple account and confirm everything
  5. Activate your wifi or use a cable after reboot - Register your MacBook on the page that appears
After that, I was able to successfully go to 14.7 and then to 15.0.

If you got a brand new system, this should not be much of a problem- else consider to backup and restore your data.

Just as a heads up to @muxilla and anyone else coming upon this post, while you can attempt the wipe-and-restore route, just know that DFU Revive is far, far less time and energy intensive, and revives firmware without touching your install/personal data. If you have access to another Mac or can get to an Apple Store, it's the most painless way we know of as of this writing. For ref: https://support.apple.com/en-us/108900

untkay

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Boston
I've graduated from

failed to personalize​

to :

Installation failed

An error occurred while installing the selected updates.

I dont mind hanging until Apple fixes the update, imma wait.

Reactions: Bob_DM and oHaze

Asmit

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
just made an account cause I m also fed up with this I talked with apple support and they said they are not releasing any update for 3 -4 weeks and this issue is not from their end as per them they suggested me the dfu method but I can't go to Apple Store its like 600 km away and of course I don't have a other Mac so I m f..... how can apple be so silly about this

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

untkay

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Boston
just made an account cause I m also fed up with this I talked with apple support and they said they are not releasing any update for 3 -4 weeks and this issue is not from their end as per them they suggested me the dfu method but I can't go to Apple Store its like 600 km away and of course I don't have a other Mac so I m f..... how can apple be so silly about this
that sucks cuz Apple be telling others here and update in a couple days. imma wait and see for a little bit

jimbosjetset

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/1fiplc0/_/lnj1cuk
"Another person said, "I ran into this on the previous update and got past it by logging out of my Apple ID in system settings, then updating, then logging back in."

This worked for me. I downloaded the macOS Sequoia update from the App Store. Logged out of my Apple ID and then carried on with the installation. It appear to get stuck halfway through so I opened Activity Monitor to prove that the Installation was still writing to the disk, which it was, so I just waited patiently for it to complete. Hope that helps other folks.

untkay

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Boston
"Another person said, "I ran into this on the previous update and got past it by logging out of my Apple ID in system settings, then updating, then logging back in."

This worked for me. I downloaded the macOS Sequoia update from the App Store. Logged out of my Apple ID and then carried on with the installation. It appear to get stuck halfway through so I opened Activity Monitor to prove that the Installation was still writing to the disk, which it was, so I just waited patiently for it to complete. Hope that helps other folks.
BINGO !!!

I signed out of my account and updated no problem ! THANKS !! Signed back in and all is well

CorranQ

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC

Happy to report this FINALLY worked for me as well. Thank you!

Mike57000

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023

Same approach, but I had to go further because the Mac was impossible to activate. And then I had the prohibited sign at startup... Fortunately the restore option worked from the finder (not with Apple Configurator).

To all those affected by this problem : make a backup before any attempt.
From everything I've read in this thread, the only thing I haven't tried is to sign out of my Apple account.
So start with this.

Reactions: Bob_DM

aquintanar

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Hi everyone, I had a MacBook Pro M1 Pro and experienced this issue for a few days. I tried all the usual methods to fix it, but nothing worked. Eventually, I reached out to Apple Support, and they suggested the following steps:

1. Back up your Mac using Time Machine.
  2. Revive the Mac by following this guide: [How to revive or restore Mac firmware].
  3. Upgrade macOS to the latest version.
It’s a long process, and you’ll need access to an extra Mac, but in the end, it worked for me. I didn’t lose any data—it was just a firmware update. However, make sure everything is backed up before you start. After completing the DFU revive, the macOS update process worked as expected.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 09.26.59.png

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
If i go to settings and try to sign out of iCloud it shows this:

I don't want it to remove all my credit cards as I have to readd and reactivate them. I have a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.30.30 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.30.30 AM.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.30.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.30.23 AM.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.