Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muxilla

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Just as a heads up to @muxilla and anyone else coming upon this post, while you can attempt the wipe-and-restore route, just know that DFU Revive is far, far less time and energy intensive, and revives firmware without touching your install/personal data. If you have access to another Mac or can get to an Apple Store, it's the most painless way we know of as of this writing. For ref: https://support.apple.com/en-us/108900
Agreed - It would be helpful if Apple released a tool for iOS that allows firmware revival directly from an iOS device, eliminating the need for a second Mac or traveling to an Apple Store (which both was no available option to me). If possible, I’d prefer to sign out of my account and then upgrade, though- as this avoids data loss and messing with the firmware.

Also, some reports suggest that DFU revival may need to be repeated with every system update, I don‘t know if that holds true, though.

This issue seems to affect all upgrades and even recovery mode restores once it occurs, indicating a persistent (firmware ?) problem linked to the active account that may not be directly fixable by Apple - but rather needs action on each affected device, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

rivolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2024
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I finnally updated to 15.0

Thank you to @jimbosjetset

I bought a MacBook Air M3 2 weeks ago and also face the same problem: "failed to personalize the software update".
I tried many options and none one work except one.

1. Download macOS Sequoia from appstore (its about 14gb)
2. Cancel installation after it downloaded
3. Sign out from you apple id (!)
4. Close all apps on your mac
5. Go to launchpad and start installing again
6. Wait (it was about 30 min and 1 reload for me)
7. Bingo! you have 15.0 (sign in with you account back and welcome to new macOS)

Reactions: iBookmaster

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/1fiplc0/_/lnj1cuk
"Another person said, "I ran into this on the previous update and got past it by logging out of my Apple ID in system settings, then updating, then logging back in."

This worked for me. I downloaded the macOS Sequoia update from the App Store. Logged out of my Apple ID and then carried on with the installation. It appear to get stuck halfway through so I opened Activity Monitor to prove that the Installation was still writing to the disk, which it was, so I just waited patiently for it to complete. Hope that helps other folks.
Signing out of my icloud account and running the upgrade worked for me! Wow, thanks so much for that!

biaksoy

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Yes, I've come to share the good news as well. After downloading the 14GB update from the App Store, I signed out of my Apple account and started the update. After a brief update that lasted less than half an hour, my MacBook came to life with macOS Sequoia 15.0. Afterwards, I was able to sign back into my Apple account without any issues. I guess we've reached the end of another adventure... By the way, I didn't like the new wallpaper at all.

Reactions: iBookmaster

kungkrist

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2024
I create this account just to write this.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 23.46.48.png

I've had this issue for a few weeks and I tried different solutions, like installing in safe mode, etc. Nothing worked until I tried to just sign out of my apple account.

What worked for me:
1. Turn off beta updates (not sure if that's needed)
2. Log out of apple account.
3. Download and install via system menu.

Could be worth a try for all of you who are still stuck with a specific version. I haven't tried to install the newest beta yet, and not sure I really want to anymore.

alisonsilva47

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2024
Update: I logged out and tried to download, it gave me an error, but after logging in again, when I looked the update was being downloaded. Now I'm waiting for the download to finish, it looks like it will work (it's not the 14gb update, but the 6gb one)

surajvanv

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2024
****kkkkk. This worked.

1. Download from AppStore
2. Turn FindMyDevice Off
3. Logout from iCloud
4. Hit Install.

💀🤌🏻 Apple

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
the failed to activate mac issue should be resolved for those in here that were having the problem

i was able to do erase all content and settings, reactivate mac without getting that error

i did this yesterday around 3:00 pm CST

Nightline

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I finnally updated to 15.0

Thank you to @jimbosjetset

I bought a MacBook Air M3 2 weeks ago and also face the same problem: "failed to personalize the software update".
I tried many options and none one work except one.

1. Download macOS Sequoia from appstore (its about 14gb)
2. Cancel installation after it downloaded
3. Sign out from you apple id (!)
4. Close all apps on your mac
5. Go to launchpad and start installing again
6. Wait (it was about 30 min and 1 reload for me)
7. Bingo! you have 15.0 (sign in with you account back and welcome to new macOS)
Thanks for this rivolf. Doing it now and its proceeding further than before. fingers crossed.

UPDATE!! - WORKED PERFECTLY!!

View attachment 2421510

Last edited:
Reactions: rivolf
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.