Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwa56334

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
I am experiencing the same thing on a M2 MacBook Air. The download starts every time, and gets to the letters o and a in the word download (above the download status bar), and gets the error ever time. It worked fine on my 27" iMac, so it seems to me like a silicon issue.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

iBookmaster

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
So, is everybody that can't update using a VPN? I don't use one and had no problems installing on a 14" MacBook Pro M1, Mac mini M2 and 13" M1 MacBook Pro.

BigScott

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Apple screwed up. But it's not like we're dead in the water. Just have to be patient and wait till they fix the issue. I already updated on my Studio and iMac and honestly its nothing special, just another MacOS so I would suggest trying to get go on using your current OS till apple fixes this for us. That's where I am at. Yes, it's frustrating, I get it but life will go on without MacOS 15 LOL.

Reactions: oHaze

leonlink

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
So guys, here I am…

I’ve been to the Apple Store, at the Genius Bar. I told to the guy all the problems we faced, showing him also the screenshots posted here on the forum. He of course tried to update both from settings and App Store because he blamed the network, while the APPLE MAGIC ETHERNET CABLE would have solved every problem!!

Failed on every attempt.

So then he tried to initialize Mac and restore from boot screen but the error was: FAILED TO ACTIVATE DEVICE.

Finally, he decided to bring the Mac to the back office and restore it with Apple Configurator, as many of you tried.

Tomorrow morning I’ll come back to take the Mac, hoping everything went well.

I’ll let you know!

P.S. the guy told me that in 2-3 days Apple will drop Mac OS 15.0.1 that, according to his words, will fix all these kind of problems, but I wasn't quite sure he knew what he was saying, maybe they were just words of reassurance.

Reactions: iBookmaster

iBookmaster

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
So guys, here I am…

I’ve been to the Apple Store, at the Genius Bar. I told to the guy all the problems we faced, showing him also the screenshots posted here on the forum. He of course tried to update both from settings and App Store because he blamed the network, while the APPLE MAGIC ETHERNET CABLE would have solved every problem!!

Failed on every attempt.

So then he tried to initialize Mac and restore from boot screen but the error was: FAILED TO ACTIVATE DEVICE.

Finally, he decided to bring the Mac to the back office and restore it with Apple Configurator, as many of you tried.

I’ll let you know!

P.S. the guy told me that in 2-3 days Apple will drop Mac OS 15.0.1 that, according to his words, will fix all these kind of problems, but I wasn't quite sure he knew what he was saying, maybe they were just words of reassurance.
What I'd like to know is why some M1, M2 & M3 Macs are having this problem and some are not. None of mine have had the problem. It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is.

leonlink

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
What I'd like to know is why some M1, M2 & M3 Macs are having this problem and some are not. None of mine have had the problem. It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is.
Yes that would be nice, but you could know this kind of things maybe if you know someone who work for apple, like a software engineer, otherwise it’s quite unlikely that Apple would explicitly publish this low level errors. Probably you’ll see a changelog like “bug fixing” and stop.

iBookmaster

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
Yes that would be nice, but you could know this kind of things maybe if you know someone who work for apple, like a software engineer, otherwise it’s quite unlikely that Apple would explicitly publish this low level errors. Probably you’ll see a changelog like “bug fixing” and stop.
Not sure why many who are having the problem are not erasing and installing. Backing up to Time Machine first of course. Has anybody had problems erasing and installing? Better yet, has anybody used Settings/General/Erase All Content and Settings, then installing?

leonlink

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Not sure why many who are having the problem are not erasing and installing. Backing up to Time Machine first of course. Has anybody had problems erasing and installing? Better yet, has anybody used Settings/General/Erase All Content and Settings, then installing?
Yes I tried this myself directly at the Apple Store, but the error was: FAILED ACTIVATING DEVICE

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
hello, I registered here because i have the same issue...1 week old M3 and i can't install macos Sequoia, same error message.
I don't have access to another Mac to try the procedure described earlier in this thread. Does anyone know if Apple plans to release a fix? or this will be the only way for us to upgrade to Sequoia?
Nobody knows at this point if it's even something that Apple can fix without requiring another computer.

FelixVasquez20

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
It is much easier to revive the firmware than to erase and install. Also, some people don't back up their data 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: changed restore to revive

Last edited:

oHaze

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2024
So guys, here I am…

Failed on every attempt.

I’ll let you know!

Thank you for coming back! Apple always tries everything that youve already done lol they think were all dummies. Appreciate the news, im sure the people with bricked computers will really appreciate it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It is much easier to restore the firmware than to erase and install. Also, some people don't back up their data 🤷‍♂️
For clarity, Restore will erase all the data on the disk, irretrievably. Revive is the command that won't erase.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Just tried as of now and still the same problem with the failed to personalize the software update. I don't use VPN either. For you who are doing the revive/restore/DFU method, are they all the same thing? I'm running out of options here. But I have a relative that has an old iMac 27 from 2012-2013. So I'm not sure if I can use that to fix my M1 macbook pro? Seriously extremely frustrated.

I remember I disabled SIP a longtime ago, but now I can't even re-enable it back. It involves you entering recovery mode and typing in "csrutil enable". But I get an error whenever I try to do this. I can't even enter the "start up disc recovery" to set the permissions back to the default "full" without getting errors too. I have a feeling it has to do something with my SIP being disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.