Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm honestly not being a jerk - I wonder how many updates you feel $3-$5 should buy a person? It doesn't seem sustainable to give away software for life when prices are so low.
That's fair, but Flexbits charges 5 dollars for the iPhone version and $15 for the Mac version. It's entirely possible that someone only has the iPhone version, but for all the benefits of the app, many people have both. They likely spent about $20. To me, that's pricey for a calendar, and if they follow suit on the Mac end, existing users are spending close to $20 again.

Your argument is fair enough though for users exclusively using the iPhone app.

You don't like to pay. Easy. Write a fully updated version of an equivalent app yourself. Quit your job so you can work on this full time. Then see if you like giving the app to all the rest if us for free.
Get off your high horse. Flexbits is hardly giving away software for free. The Mac version is $15 and many users have both. They'll likely release a second version for the Mac, and charge users for that.

Let's also get something straight. I didn't cry calamity, I just said it was a bummer.

But you are not an "existing user," it's a new app. You are free to continue using your v.1 app. Nothing has changed. As consumers we have no right to expect free feature updates unless promised @ purchase. It's nice when we get them but devs have families and other expenses too. We only pay for the product we buy when we buy it, be it software, hardware or a box of cereal.
That's certainly one way of looking at it. I just feel we live in a world where reasonable updates to software are expected when we purchase products. (Not saying this update isn't above and beyond that reasonable point. I don't know.)

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
But you are not an "existing user," it's a new app. You are free to continue using your v.1 app. Nothing has changed. As consumers we have no right to expect free feature updates unless promised @ purchase. It's nice when we get them but devs have families and other expenses too. We only pay for the product we buy when we buy it, be it software, hardware or a box of cereal.

But will the v1 release of Fantastical continue to receive any support from Flexibit? I'm not against them charging for v2, but I do hope they at least ensure functionality for any device running Fantastical v1 on that device's latest supported version of iOS.

I think that's a fair expectation as a consumer; I hope Flexibits doesn't let us down. That being said, I'm totally buying the new version.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I wasn't aware that devs could add their own keyboard... or is it an API that calls for that keyboard if the dev chooses to use it. If so... why wouldn't it be an option system wide?

Apps can add a toolbar to the top of the keyboard. The API is called an "input accessory view". They can also define their own custom keyboards (that API is called an "input view").

They're part of the App though; they're not available system-wide.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
But will the v1 release of Fantastical continue to receive any support from Flexibit? I'm not against them charging for v2, but I do hope they at least ensure functionality for any device running Fantastical v1 on that device's latest supported version of iOS.

I think that's a fair expectation as a consumer; I hope Flexibits doesn't let us down. That being said, I'm totally buying the new version.

V1 doesn't seem to be in the App Store anymore, so I doubt it. To me, that's problematic, but according to some users that makes me a cheapskate.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Love love LOVE that there are enough options to change this thing around a bit and make it work like Apple's iOS 6 calendar.

It takes a few switch flips in the options, but it works!

Attachments

• fantastical2.png
    fantastical2.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 116

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
Pulled from the app store

Developer,

Thanks for thinking about your existing customers by pulling the original version. :mad:

You could have added an in app purchase?

Locodice

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Easily one of my most used iPhone apps so bought the upgrade.

It's worth it for the notifications alone, let alone all the other improvements!

Hello "open in google maps" :cool::cool::cool:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Somehow I can't get behind a third party Calendar app until Apple allows you to change the defaults and lets devs use live icons.

Love it on the Mac though.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
V1 doesn't seem to be in the App Store anymore, so I doubt it. To me, that's problematic, but according to some users that makes me a cheapskate.

Developer,

Thanks for thinking about your existing customers by pulling the original version. :mad:

You could have added an in app purchase?

Go to Update > Click Purchased > Redownload the Purchased V1 Fantastical from there. It has been removed so that all FUTURE customers purchase the new updated V2 instead of the out of date V1. This is to prevent customers getting pissed that they accidentally bought an out of date app. Not a big deal.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Was hoping someone could answer a question for me, since it's going to decide whether I go for this app or not.

I've always used Apple's calendar app in conjunction with iCloud, but since the new app sucks I'm looking for a replacement. Fantastical looks great, but there's one feature it doesn't have, and can't possibly have under current iOS rules - the ability to show events in Notification Center. This is a deal breaker for me because I constantly check my NC to see what events are coming up.

However, I noticed that Fantastical says it works with iCloud. Does this mean I can create events in Fantastical that will automatically go to my iCloud calendar? Which will in turn automatically sync to the Apple calendar, and hence show these events in my NC? It's confusing but it's a workaround I'd be willing to deal with if it meant being able to use Fantastical. Thanks for any help!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Does this mean I can create events in Fantastical that will automatically go to my iCloud calendar? Which will in turn automatically sync to the Apple calendar, and hence show these events in my NC? It's confusing but it's a workaround I'd be willing to deal with if it meant being able to use Fantastical. Thanks for any help!

Yes.

FFocuSS

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Was hoping someone could answer a question for me, since it's going to decide whether I go for this app or not.

I've always used Apple's calendar app in conjunction with iCloud, but since the new app sucks I'm looking for a replacement. Fantastical looks great, but there's one feature it doesn't have, and can't possibly have under current iOS rules - the ability to show events in Notification Center. This is a deal breaker for me because I constantly check my NC to see what events are coming up.

However, I noticed that Fantastical says it works with iCloud. Does this mean I can create events in Fantastical that will automatically go to my iCloud calendar? Which will in turn automatically sync to the Apple calendar, and hence show these events in my NC? It's confusing but it's a workaround I'd be willing to deal with if it meant being able to use Fantastical. Thanks for any help!

Yes, the process you described will definitely work. Also, Fantastical gets all its calendar info from the default calendar app anyway, so any calendar that's in the default calendar app will also be in Fantastical (assuming you've got it checked in the Fantastical settings). Events from the default calendar will show up in NC, and any new events you enter in Fantastical will sync with your default Calendar (thru icloud, google calendar, etc.).

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
I noticed that Fantastical says it works with iCloud. Does this mean I can create events in Fantastical that will automatically go to my iCloud calendar? Which will in turn automatically sync to the Apple calendar, and hence show these events in my NC? It's confusing but it's a workaround I'd be willing to deal with if it meant being able to use Fantastical. Thanks for any help!

As far as I can tell, yes, you can. I use PlanBe to make reminders and events, but I have the standard iOS Reminders and Calendar apps to show up in the notification centre, and what I create in PlanBe shows up there, so it should work just the same with Fantastical.

ammusk

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009

Fantastical creates events in your desired iCloud calendar. You are given the freedom to select the default calendar when new events are created.

Events created in Fantastical will show up in notification center and even sync to iCloud.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
That's fair, but Flexbits charges 5 dollars for the iPhone version and $15 for the Mac version. It's entirely possible that someone only has the iPhone version, but for all the benefits of the app, many people have both. They likely spent about $20. To me, that's pricey for a calendar, and if they follow suit on the Mac end, existing users are spending close to $20 again.

Your argument is fair enough though for users exclusively using the iPhone app.

I understand that view as well. No real arguments with what you said.

I also hope I didn't seem like I was calling you a cheapskate. I just wanted to see what people thought about upgrade expectations.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Debating between Fantastical and Calendars 5 for my iPhone. I have an iPad that I use Calendars+ on, and it is the best I've found for the iPad, but I didn't really like the look of the iOS version. Calendars 5 looks better than + does. And Fantastical looks great, but isn't universal.

Thoughts?

glasshead13

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
This is awesome, have been waiting for the update to get rid of the stock calendar app on iOS 7 which I really just don't like because they got rid of the quick look area in day view.

Anyways, maybe someone could answer these questions for me before I make the purchase???

1. Does this sync across iCloud to the stock calendar apps on my mac and iPad? Since updated versions of fantastical are not available yet for those two platforms, I want to know if the iPhone version will sync events across to the iPad and Mac until I can get fantastical on them???

2. Does this integrate with the "Today" view in Notification Center? Do appointments appear for today, under my calendar, and tomorrow??

Thanks!!!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This is awesome, have been waiting for the update to get rid of the stock calendar app on iOS 7 which I really just don't like because they got rid of the quick look area in day view.

Anyways, maybe someone could answer these questions for me before I make the purchase???

1. Does this sync across iCloud to the stock calendar apps on my mac and iPad? Since updated versions of fantastical are not available yet for those two platforms, I want to know if the iPhone version will sync events across to the iPad and Mac until I can get fantastical on them???

2. Does this integrate with the "Today" view in Notification Center? Do appointments appear for today, under my calendar, and tomorrow??

Thanks!!!

1. Read the thread, yes.
2. By extension, yes.

Note that there is still no way to set a default calendar app, so if you tap on anything in NC it'll launch the Apple app.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I understand that view as well. No real arguments with what you said.

I also hope I didn't seem like I was calling you a cheapskate. I just wanted to see what people thought about upgrade expectations.

Oh no, you didn't. Another reply went on a rant about how I should quit my job and yadda yadda. It was all a bit excessive. That's what my comment about being a cheapskate was about.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Bought version 1 but found myself not using it as WeekCal and Calendars 5 were both so much better. WeekCal has already had an ios 7 update for free, and is soon to get a complete new look and functionality, also as a free update.

Fantastical was always the worst of the three, by quite a margin.

I'll pass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.