Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I don't know. Is there really that big of a market for stuff like this? I've been doing just fine with the stock calendar app dating back many, many years now. I can see how this introduces additional options, but it seems inapplicable fro so many people out there.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
They need to start offering discounts to existing customers. I bought the first OS X version (I think it was $20?). Then I wanted it on my iPhone, and there was no free companion app. So, another $10 for the iPhone app. Then I bought an iPad and expected to download the iOS app that I already purchased. Nope - there's another app for the iPad for another $20.

I like the app, but the developers are too greedy. It's bad enough that they charge A LOT for a simple upgraded calendar app, and charge separately for each device, but this is too much. They need to give a substantial discount to those who already spend $50 on the OS X, iPhone, and iPad apps. There's no way I'm paying $40 for an app update (and after reading the article, this is nothing more than an update).

Bob-K

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2014
Oakland, CA
I have Fantastical 1 as well as the iPad and iPhone versions. I like and use them all.

Given that version 1 was priced at $19.99, the pricing of version 2 seems steep, especially when the $40 introductory price ends and it goes up to $50.

This might not be rational, but at $20 I would have bought it immediately; at $25 I probably would have hesitated briefly, but still bought it; and at $30 I probably would have thought 'this is a little pricey' but still would have bought it.

But at $40, I'll wait and see if it shows up in a bundle. Or I'll stick with the iPad version, which is the one I use most often.

What's irrational about all this is that these price differences are not that big in the grand scheme of things.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Hmm. really?

Realllly?

Yes, reallllllly! I don't need it, but at $9.99 I'd buy it, and it would be less than $10.00 to convince myself I need it. And I'd probably like it. At $39.99, I'll never need it. Of course I can only speak for myself.

But yes, really. At $9.99 I'm all in even if I don't need. At $19.99, as an impulse buy I could see myself getting it, especially if iCal did something that got me mad. At $39.99, I'll live with what I didn't like about iCal.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
They need to start offering discounts to existing customers. I bought the first OS X version (I think it was $20?). Then I wanted it on my iPhone, and there was no free companion app. So, another $10 for the iPhone app. Then I bought an iPad and expected to download the iOS app that I already purchased. Nope - there's another app for the iPad for another $20.

I like the app, but the developers are too greedy. It's bad enough that they charge A LOT for a simple upgraded calendar app, and charge separately for each device, but this is too much. They need to give a substantial discount to those who already spend $50 on the OS X, iPhone, and iPad apps. There's no way I'm paying $40 for an app update (and after reading the article, this is nothing more than an update).

They can't offer discounts to existing customers. The App Store doesn't allow upgrade pricing on the App Store and the App Store rules forbid offering lower pricing on channels other than the App Store.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
The price is exorbitant and likely well thought-out. A statement to the effect that this is a stellar calendar app, and intended to cause a stir. We'll see. Lots of app developers will be looking at this decision as a case study.

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
They need to start offering discounts to existing customers.
The current introductory price of $40 is already the discounted price for existing customers according to their blog.

Oh yeah, we also want to give prior users (hopefully that’s you!) a discount to say “thanks”, so we’re launching with a limited-time sale that will provide you with a 20% discount.
The entire post can be read here.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
They can't offer discounts to existing customers. The App Store doesn't allow upgrade pricing on the App Store and the App Store rules forbid offering lower pricing on channels other than the App Store.

I bought fantastical 1 through their website so they could offer an upgrade version that way. At 50.00 they just priced me out of ever upgrading to fantastical 2, 40.00 the same. If it were the same price I would probably go for it.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Because someone paid for it to be, that is more important than respecting the readers of the forum.

:apple:

It should have been labeled as advertising, since it really looks like sponsored content, or at least like a "plug for my buddy, who bought me dinner."

It has rather dubious news value, other than as an example of a grossly overpriced app.

Florpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
ABC 4
I don't know. Is there really that big of a market for stuff like this? I've been doing just fine with the stock calendar app dating back many, many years now. I can see how this introduces additional options, but it seems inapplicable fro so many people out there.

There's a big enough market. They're not trying to compete with the built-in Calendar app, some people need more than what is offered.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Couple of thoughts:

1) The price is high but would be okay for a quality product. The problem I have with this company is that they haven't been very good about updates.

2) This is clearly another infomercial from MacRumors! The CEO told us "while the original Fantastical app reinvented calendar apps, the new update reinvents Fantastical". That's their advertising headline. Why am I coming back to this crappy site!?

It should have been labeled as advertising, since it really looks like sponsored content, or at least like a "plug for my buddy, who bought me dinner."

It has rather dubious news value, other than as an example of a grossly overpriced app.
Or it's a popular and one of the top third party calendar apps in the Apple ecosystem that got a major redesign/update and news about it interests quite a few people. Perhaps the pricing point and that aspect of it all makes it that much more of an interesting topic for those who are interested. Seems like a very likely straightforward rational explanation as well.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
No need

I have BusyCal and Fantastical 1. That's already overkill, but Fantastical 2 offers nothing new if you have those apps.

I wanted to like this, but there's NO WAY I'm paying for a less powerful app.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Or it's a popular and one of the top third party calendar apps in the Apple ecosystem that got a major redesign/update and news about it interests quite a few people. Perhaps the pricing point and that aspect of it all makes it that much more of an interesting topic for those who are interested. Seems like a very likely straightforward rational explanation as well.

An unbiased review would have mentioned competitors and differences/advantages.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
An unbiased review would have mentioned competitors and differences/advantages.
A news piece about an updated popular app isn't exactly a review even if it does talk about various features and so forth. Also not all reviews necessarily make references to competitors or anything like that, and can still in fact be unbiased.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
There's a big enough market. They're not trying to compete with the built-in Calendar app, some people need more than what is offered.

yes, there is a big enough market for it considering it's already #6 in the ranking of top paid for apps in the app store

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I am feeling the same as everyone else. Considering I purchased Fantastical 1 at $20, and both iOS versions at their full price, I feel a little bit annoyed that they are asking us to upgrade to 2.0 and hiked up the price. I have shelled out a premium on apps that deserve it. Airmail 2, Fantastical, and Things. I am not opposed to giving people money for great apps. But, for an upgrade to a $20 app costing double that, nope. Sorry. I will wait for the price to drop to a more reasonable amount. Or you know... Yar!!!

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Love Fantastical for my iPhone and iPad. I bought the old Mac version as well but there's noway I'm purchasing the new one for that price.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011

They can sell the app on their website too - that's where I bought the first version.

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
$40 is the price for everyone.

Yes, I am aware, and so are they. I think what they're trying to say is they gave it a $40 price tag with existing users in mind... but of course, new customers also gets part of the deal. That's their idea of upgrade price... sadly. I was hoping for an actual upgrade price too, but it seems like that isn't happening.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't give us an exclusive discount, but I guess part of it is due to how they gave consistent free updates for four years according to one of their tweets.

We supported F1 for 4 years for free to show the level of support we provide.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.