Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - April 2 thru April 15

Challenge topic(s): Eyes/Height

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM April 15

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Here's my height entry.

DSC_0588.jpg

Camera: Nikon
Model: D60
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/3 sec
Aperture: 3.5
Focal Length: 18mm
Flash Used: No

This was handheld too. C&C is appreciated!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I'll start with an older one for height. This is the top of Mt Shasta looking south. You can see Mt Lassen in the distance on the horizon.

Attachments

• peak110.jpg
    peak110.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 161

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Rare air...

Higher than most clouds blanketing the surrounding mountain ranges, a snowboarder hikes back up to the start point at 7,000 ft. after taking a leap off the jump carved out for the day. From my trek up Mt. Hood this week.

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Exposure: 1/200
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO Speed: 200

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Kill two birds with one stone. The "Eye" and height.
244215347_ee3c41b16a_b.jpg

Camera: Casio EX-Z750
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Higher than most clouds blanketing the surrounding mountain ranges, a snowboarder hikes back up to the start point at 7,000 ft. after taking a leap off the jump carved out for the day. From my trek up Mt. Hood this week.
4488618170_cc0617b24d_b.jpg

Love this - except for the person on the left in the background - distracts me. I'm easily distracted. Otherwise its beautiful.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Eiffel Tower

Methinks it must be time for the peacock photos again! :)

My height contribution. I have photos of the Eiffel Tower, but it was only in this picture which shows two of the bases, and people queueing to go up giving scale, that I really got a sense of just how high it really is. It's something I didn't realise until I was right next to it.

eiffeltower1.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Methinks it must be time for the peacock photos again! :)

My height contribution. I have photos of the Eiffel Tower, but it was only in this picture which shows two of the bases, and people queueing to go up giving scale, that I really got a sense of just how high it really is. It's something I didn't realise until I was right next to it.

dsc0111de.jpg
Ish - great stuff - but I'd up the saturation a bit - just to highlight the light source a bit

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007

This a couple of weeks old I'm afraid. Taken at the Sainsbury Centre Gallery, opposite my department.

@PDXflint, I really like your picture too, but could you clone out the little guy that Chappers mentioned? I'm having touble not seeing him now.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
rare air... (fixed)

Thanks Chappers and capoeirista... and yeah, I noticed the other guy's head, but somehow tried to overlook it--it didn't work! So, thanks to LR3's excellent healing brush, little man is now officially gone! :)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks Chappers and capoeirista... and yeah, I noticed the other guy's head, but somehow tried to overlook it--it didn't work! So, thanks to LR3's excellent healing brush, little man is now officially gone! :)

Pdxflint, that is an amazing capture.
I really feel as though I'm there, ready for the jump...
leading down into the unknown, below the mystic clouds...the warm colours in the sky against a cold landscape adding great emotion. Excellent.
Keep coming back to this one to dream :p
Thanks for sharing!

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Glad to see I'm the first to post a cat photograph. I think NathanCH and I are going for the same "match the background to the cat" effect. :D

Great photos posted so far... I was going to mention those I found particularly striking, but I quickly realized that I'd be listing most of those posted!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

I love this photo. It really gives me a sense of being there (without all the hard work of getting there!)

Ish - great stuff - but I'd up the saturation a bit - just to highlight the light source a bit

Thanks, Chappers. Good suggestion. I accidentally deleted the original photo when I uploaded the revised picture to ImageShack. I've replaced it, and replaced it in this thread but it's messed up your quote.

I upped the saturation a bit, then increased the exposure a little too and finally desaturated the yellow canopy a bit to make it less distracting.

eiffeltower2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.