Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Three sets of eyes watching me. (The $75 camera experience continues)

4495338131_bf5c1684e7_b.jpg

Nice capture. That's one example where equipment was the limiting factor. Wish you had your DSLR with you for that one. It's still a great "eyes" shot and conveys the mood well.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I think I'd crop it some more - I love the colour tones that flow though this but I'd bring it in a bit tighter. Quite a change for you - nice work and nice eye.
Now its only a personal opinion I tried what I thought - cloned out the grass too. I was trying to use the fence poles as a pseudo frame

Hmmm, this is what i came up with.... And now looking at the thumbnail (gotta love preview post) looks like perhaps i should have taken a bit more off the left side. I also cloned the grass out, lol. I was afraid to the firs time around for fear of ruining the picture. I can do some thing in Photoshop, but cloning isnt one of them.

Thank you for the compliment. Its hard for me to find stuff to shoot, Im mostly confined to my house due to lack of transportation. That, and I hate the city i live in. It's so bland and ugly.

img49012.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Nice capture. That's one example where equipment was the limiting factor. Wish you had your DSLR with you for that one. It's still a great "eyes" shot and conveys the mood well.
I miss my big camera - $75 doesn't buy much and this I borrowed from my mother. Great for snaps.

Hmmm, this is what i came up with.... And now looking at the thumbnail (gotta love preview post) looks like perhaps i should have taken a bit more off the left side. I also cloned the grass out, lol. I was afraid to the firs time around for fear of ruining the picture. I can do some thing in Photoshop, but cloning isnt one of them.

Thank you for the compliment. Its hard for me to find stuff to shoot, Im mostly confined to my house due to lack of transportation. That, and I hate the city i live in. It's so bland and ugly.

img49012.jpg

I think you're being hard on yourself - I've looked through your Flickr page and there is some great urban stuff there. There are also shots that need to be in this thread- one of them is "Mis Ojos".

damov2

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Cambridge, uk
You looking at me!

Royal Python(ball python).

EXIF
Camera:Canon EOS 40D
Lens:EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Exposure:0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture:f/13.0
Focal Length:60 mm
ISO Speed:100
Exposure Bias:0 EV
Flash:On, Fired

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Is that as is or did you apply something in PP with that pattern? It's like one of those 3d posters that you stare at and something pops out.

I used the Poster Edges filter in PSE (filters>artistic>poster edges). The stairs are a pretty boring industrial eggshell color that I just could not make interesting without this kind of PP.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I think you're being hard on yourself - I've looked through your Flickr page and there is some great urban stuff there. There are also shots that need to be in this thread- one of them is "Mis Ojos".

Well, they say we are our own worst critic...

The camera is in the eye of the beholder..

I dig the reflection, but cant help but wonder about the tones? The skin doesnt really look like skin, imo.

As Chappers suggested 'Mis Ojos' or in English, 'My Eyes':

Clickable...

Exif Info:
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Hope you guys dont mind me posting two, but I like this one and it fits the theme. :p

Clickable...

Exif Info:
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/2.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Zoey Blue Eyes

Ill Have to see what I have for the Height topic.
View the image at full size, the thumbnail colors are garbage for some reason.

Attachments

• zoey.jpg
    zoey.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 89

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Ill Have to see what I have for the Height topic.
View the image at full size, the thumbnail colors are garbage for some reason.

Very cute. Reminds me of my daughter. I struggle with portraits. Mine are on the fly and not really set up. I often feel I don't get enough of the head/hair in focus, maybe because I'm focusing on the eyes. That's what is slightly distracting about this one. Her hair not being in focus. Take a look at NeGRit0's shot. Probably 3/4 of her hair is in focus. I don't know if there's a rule of thumb for how much DOF you want in shots like this. I suppose it's up to the artist.

cyantist

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Canada
Nice. I like the softness. Do you have any of this guy "facing" the camera instead of a profile shot?

No sorry, that was the only shot I got.. I just happened to notice him as I was passing by.. I just turned and snapped.. This is at 200mm from about 7 feet IIRC..

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
My cat, Monet, likes to climb up on top of the cupboards and I was able to catch her up there. This photo really doesn't show the height very well though.

Attachments

• monet.jpg
    monet.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 92

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Very cute. Reminds me of my daughter. I struggle with portraits. Mine are on the fly and not really set up. I often feel I don't get enough of the head/hair in focus, maybe because I'm focusing on the eyes. That's what is slightly distracting about this one. Her hair not being in focus. Take a look at NeGRit0's shot. Probably 3/4 of her hair is in focus. I don't know if there's a rule of thumb for how much DOF you want in shots like this. I suppose it's up to the artist.

With kids, on-the-fly and not set up are about all you can get, lol. In this shot there is an assistant running around behind me and the child with a Vivitar flash on a monopod, diffused through an umbrella. I tend to HATE studio shots of kids, simply because they look completely fake. Anyone who is around, or had kids, know they don't sit still unless theyre asleep, lol. So I feel take two or three hundred shots in a 15 minutes span is worth it to get a "real" portrait of that kid.

Regarding her hair, normally, more of her hair would be in focus but at the time of day this was shot and the fact her daddy had her whizzing around his head, I felt the OOF hair was fine. 1. it denotes motion (you can see it is motion blur if you take a look at the full sized image) and 2. in these kinds of situations it is perfectly fine to have everything but the eyes slightly OOF. Having the eyes in crisp focus is very important in a shallow DOF image. If nothing else, for the untrained eye, it helps to draw them to her eyes, which is where I want them to go. The fact that the OOF hair distracts just tells me you have a good eye :D

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
For the height category. In Chamonix a few years ago on the Grande Traverse. We were going along the ridge at 12k feet and this guy was just there to jump off.

Attachments

• PICT0041.jpg
    PICT0041.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 89

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Another height submission...

Still shooting in manual. Had to use the autofocus though cause i couldnt tell in the viewfinder. I thought i straightened it in photoshop, but in the preview it still looks a little off.

Exif Info:
Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 800

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.