Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flutegirl822

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Zooming

Chappers, all you have to do is set your camera on a tripod aimed in the center of the tree. Set timer and a long exposure. After it clicks, wait half the time and then zoom either in or out and wait until the last click. (8-20 second exposure in a darker room works best.) Experiment and have fun. Try changing the center point or the speed you choose to zoom. :)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers, all you have to do is set your camera on a tripod aimed in the center of the tree. Set timer and a long exposure. After it clicks, wait half the time and then zoom either in or out and wait until the last click. (8-20 second exposure in a darker room works best.) Experiment and have fun. Try changing the center point or the speed you choose to zoom. :)

Sadly you've mentioned the magic word "tripod" - I'm kinda famous in these parts for not owning one - but I'll get there and when I do - I'll be trying something like this - thanks for the tip.

Didn't you post an orange amphibian on the Weekly Photo Contest?

flutegirl822

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Chappers, yes, that was my photo. I found it on my driveway one rainy morning and the little orange guy sat still while I took the photo. Were you the judge on that contest?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
New York City:
4186791998_4c7b70f488_b.jpg

Wow. I have got to get out more. Stunning.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
♫♫ Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....... ♫♫

Now I'm really lonely...I haven't sat by a wood fire since '03...Most of what I cut around here was alder, fir and some maple. We had oak when I was a kid in Ohio, but I don't really remember much about it other that when we burned a $20 lost in wrappings...:eek:

What kind of wood? Where are the chestnuts??

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Now I'm really lonely...I haven't sat by a wood fire since '03...Most of what I cut around here was alder, fir and some maple. We had oak when I was a kid in Ohio, but I don't really remember much about it other that when we burned a $20 lost in wrappings...:eek:

What kind of wood? Where are the chestnuts??

Dale

I finished the chestnuts last week. They are outstanding cooked into real oatmeal with real maple syrup. The house was built with a wood fireplace. The original owners converted it to gas. What you see are genuine 100% ceramic logs fresh cut from a ceramic tree. Sorry. If it helps, we have a fire pit on the patio. I burn whatever has fallen in the woods behind our house. If you want, I'll take a picture of that in the spring (with roasted marshmallows). Right now it is late December in Cleveland. I'm not making any fires outside.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers, yes, that was my photo. I found it on my driveway one rainy morning and the little orange guy sat still while I took the photo. Were you the judge on that contest?
Yes I was the judge - thought I recognised your name - what was that little guy?

Chappers - By the way, your Dangerous Flower Spider photo would have been great for the http://www.dpchallenge.com "A Bug's Life" photo contest. :eek:
Thank you but I think I need some better glass - the stuff over there is so detailed (need a true macro lens)- although I think anyone would have struggled to take that photo in the very windy conditions that I suffered from that day - and without a tripod :D

♫♫ Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....... ♫♫
I can almost taste them :)

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
A firework shot from last year. I was pleased with the way it turned out as it was my first attempt.

... probably needs cropping a bit though !

Attachments

• Photo (1 of 1).jpg
    Photo (1 of 1).jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 81

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I finished the chestnuts last week. They are outstanding cooked into real oatmeal with real maple syrup. The house was built with a wood fireplace. The original owners converted it to gas. What you see are genuine 100% ceramic logs fresh cut from a ceramic tree. Sorry. If it helps, we have a fire pit on the patio. I burn whatever has fallen in the woods behind our house. If you want, I'll take a picture of that in the spring (with roasted marshmallows). Right now it is late December in Cleveland. I'm not making any fires outside.

Gas fire was my first thought, but the flames looked different from your photo in the Weekly Contest. I really didn't want to insult anyone by mistaking wood for gas.

Dale

Share your photos:: Photo of the Day | Fortnight Challenge | Weekly Contest

flutegirl822

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Chappers: "Yes I was the judge - thought I recognised your name - what was that little guy?"

Just a salamander. I live in a forested area and find them often, but this was the first orange colored one I'd seen.

PNW

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I love all the low light lighting shots. It's a subject I've always struggled with (I can never seem to get the exposure right). I especially like the NYC and altstadt shots.

Here are a few shots of the kids. They were super excited about seeing Santa until we got to the front of the line then they all hid behind my legs.

Edited to add: deep diver I like the fireplace shot as well I'm going to have to build a fire and pull out the camera.

Attachments

• UmmHotCocoa.jpg
    UmmHotCocoa.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 85
  • SoExcited_sm.jpg
    SoExcited_sm.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 86

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Gas fire was my first thought, but the flames looked different from your photo in the Weekly Contest. I really didn't want to insult anyone by mistaking wood for gas.

I shot some with the gas turned up all the way. The POTW shot is one of those. I had one of my kids pick the one he thought was most fierce. This one had the gas open only about half way. What I like most about this one is the way some of the flames have separated.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I love all the low light lighting shots. It's a subject I've always struggled with (I can never seem to get the exposure right). I especially like the NYC and altstadt shots.

Here are a few shots of the kids. They were super excited about seeing Santa until we got to the front of the line then they all hid behind my legs.

Edited to add: deep diver I like the fireplace shot as well I'm going to have to build a fire and pull out the camera.

Very cute kids.

The fire images were fun to do because you really cannot anticipate what will show itself until afterwards.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Yes, another zoom-zoom effect

Honestly, I saw this effect on a different site and wanted to try it out before I saw flutegirl822's on here. Oh well! Thanks for looking, C&C more than welcome.

4210455652_eb3115509b.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
No Christmas here but we still have a tree - but I still don't have a tripod :D

flutegirl822's brings a trend to the thread. I will work on this tonight.

4209843277_c75362ce40_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.