Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Lost luggage!

The airlines lost my guitar once, but I did get it back, this guy was not so lucky with his cases.
p82339887-5.jpg

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Mind if I post a few? Havn't posted in a while but got round to processing a few photos tonight.

**All clickable to my flickr account**
Or visit my websites photography section

First day of snow - 19/12/09

Tree Deco

Christmas eve in my village!

Christmas eve in my village!

Xmas Eve - had a go with the lights thing! :p

Appreciate any comments!
Luke

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The airlines lost my guitar once, but I did get it back, this guy was not so lucky with his cases.

The airline is still processing the claim. Besides that, they want $50 per bag to return them. :D:D

The tree growing out of the luggage is a bit distracting. If the green weren't so bright I think it would be better.

Mind if I post a few? Havn't posted in a while but got round to processing a few photos tonight.

Welcome back.

I like the first image. The contrast between the spots in the foreground and the streaks under the light is interesting. I get a real sense of what that snowfall is like.

I'm not so sure about the others. I'm not sure what you want me to see and my eye doesn't settle anywhere. The subjects have potential. You might want to reshoot them.

Well wishes to all my friends.

Dale

Thank you. To you as well.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Merry Christmas!
From church service last night, seated in 1st row.
No flash, I used my 50mm 1.4 set at ISO 800, Tv mode shutter speed 1/60, let the camera pick aperture.
I tried 200 & 400 ISO but got underexposure then for some angles during testing.
Not having a zoom limited my shots, but I needed the speed of the 50mm 1.4 vs my kit lens 18-55mm since no flash.
(turned off the "beep" confirmation after a few shots also)
_MG_3538.jpg

_MG_3518.jpg
_MG_3560.jpg

and....my 7 year old daughter getting over her nerves doing the 1st reading, with mom there for support. Once she got started she did good.
_MG_3488.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home

Appreciate any comments!
Luke

1. I like - and agree with deep diver
2. This has potential - but I'd look at Maxxamillian's work - this is screaming for something. See page 1 of this thread.
3 & 4 Crop the village out. Lots of potential again but need attention.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Merry Christmas!
From church service last night, seated in 1st row.

Lots of potential. I like the mobile in the first image and I think you captured it well. The candle lights add an interesting component. I would crop out the lectern and paint out the microphone. They are both pretty distracting.

The subject of the second and third shots could make a good image but it would need to be set up. I don't think it could be done in the service where your options for framing are limited. I love the last shot of your daughter. I've gotten that same look many times from my own kids. What a precious memory!!!!!!!!!!!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Taken this morning with a gentle reminder of our Beetle - sitting in for our slightly crashed Suzuki Swift.

I'm sure you are looking forward to returning to the UK, but you are going to miss the treasures of your mountain. This is yet another truly stunning image.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'm sure you are looking forward to returning to the UK, but you are going to miss the treasures of your mountain. This is yet another truly stunning image.

I'll half miss it - its a strange place and remarkable place. Summer is normally 45C (113F) - but winter, lots and lots of snow and can be -30C (-22F). So I won't miss the up coming winter weather. On the other hand UK weather is dull, grey and damp.

mmmmm - waiting for summer - somewhere in the world.

4214546183_eef7835c11_b.jpg

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
a big hello

hello to all happy christmas

iam very new to all of this so bare with me i was very good this year

and santa brought me my first camera with lens

i have a sony a330 slr

very happy so i will be uploading my first pic ever all coments gratly recived

thank jason

this is my lovely wife that bought me my cam so this was my one of my first pics

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 104

rekud300

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Christmas Kitty

Christmas Kitty

1st week with new camera.

Attachments

• DSC_0222.jpg
    DSC_0222.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 108

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Every year Grandma has sewn pajamas for my girls and nephews as Christmas Eve presents. First shot is my youngest showing how loved they are. The second is showing off the jammies, the pose is “ok now look like the Grinch!”

4217744752_34e95e804a_b.jpg

4216976039_afceaf85d0_b.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
hello to all happy christmas

iam very new to all of this so bare with me i was very good this year

and santa brought me my first camera with lens

i have a sony a330 slr

very happy so i will be uploading my first pic ever all coments gratly recived

thank jason

this is my lovely wife that bought me my cam so this was my one of my first pics
Firstly - Welcome. You have a great wife - mine usually buys my Macs. I would have shot this in "Portrait" as opposed to "Landscape". My advice is take lots of photos - look at other peoples work - read stuff. And take even more photos. Keep it up - welcome again. This is a very friendly and gentle thread.

Christmas Kitty

1st week with new camera.
Lovely photo with a few distractions (I'd photoshop out the cable for example and tried to get a slightly different angle to avoid so much tree. Also and only as a suggestion if you are interested in the style, look at Maxxamillians work on Page 1 of this thread - it would seem to suit your photo.)

Every year Grandma has sewn pajamas for my girls and nephews as Christmas Eve presents. First shot is my youngest showing how loved they are. The second is showing off the jammies, the pose is “ok now look like the Grinch!”
Very difficult to control the surrounding on these but lovely photos - capturing the elements that you need for preserving your memories. Love the faces - I would have tried (I stress the word tried here - as I have a son) to get close-ups of faces as portraits so the background is blurred but hey its Christmas - no time for that. Love those expressions though.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
loving all the photos folks will post some more when i have some better

holladay snaps

keep up the good work :D:D:D:D

Of course you can always do some work on your holiday snaps afterwards - all done in iPhoto. - I straightened it, cropped it, upped contrast and sharpness.

What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 108

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Your lovely wife is indeed lovely. I like your concept/thinking in this shot. I also like what Chappers has suggested.

There are so many details to understand in creating a good image, and one needs to understand how the eye travels across an image. The eye is drawn to faces and the "rule of thirds" dictates the focus of the image. While there may be compositional reasons to break that rule (and most of us do so at some time) this image is not one of them. What this means is that the eye is very strongly drawn to the reflection of your wife's face. That is what should be in focus. Right now the focus is on the left side of the back of her head. Your camera should allow you to select where you want to set the focus and then recompose.

Try reshooting this. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

rekud300

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Ohio
Thanks Chappers

That was a quick shot with the new camera, even though I have had it for a couple of weeks now, there is still obviously much to learn. Also, just learning how to use Aperture as well and tweaking all the different elements.

Maxxamillians is incredible with that photo, and the steps he went through to accomplish that, as of now, is far from my knowledge. Yet willing to learn and play. Between this forum, and the Nikon web page, I have learned quite a bit. The next step is to get some books that have been suggested on this site.

Is this more the direction I should be heading?

Attachments

• DSC_0222.jpg
    DSC_0222.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.