Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Chappers

Am I the only one seeing this??? I mean to say...:eek::eek: centered :eek::eek:

Go to your mountain and do 30 Rule of 1/3s...

Dale

Attachments

• DSC00080chappers2.jpg
    DSC00080chappers2.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 118

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
thanks

Hi. Let me comment on your children: They are cute...:)...

And now the photos themselves.

Do what you can in the viewfinder to keep the subject out of the center of the frame. When we look at something in a frame, we tend to look first to a line about 1/3 of the way up the frame and then slide out of it. There is a visual rule called "rule of thirds" that will explain this. Look it up in Google or whatever.

Be aware of what is going on around the edges of the frame.. Try to avoid leaving things hanging part way in or out of the frame like the planter (?) on the left and your son's feet on the top. My design instructor used to tell us to "Make it look intentional", either include all of it or crop it out. That keeps a photo from looking haphazard.

Glasses and flash have been sworn enemies since the dawn to image making with film. This works fine, but I want to see his eyes more.

This is how I would crop this one. Just enough to remove the visual junk (on offense).
The photo of your daughter is fine except for the focus. Sharp focus on the eyes is critical for pictures of people. All would work better if he was looking to the frame right, but you can't have everything now, can you?

A real good and entertaining way to learn how to place a subject in a frame is to watch movies. Pay attention to how the frame is setup. Directors and cameramen pay extreme care to framing.

Dale

thanks for the help there i just forund the focus ring at the end of my camra i think this will make a big diffrance when taking the photos.

i see what you men when you are keeping the junk out or choseing the frame.

and as for my son i should of got doewn on the floor so i could get his eyes in the photo too

thank you agine for you kind istrution

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Hi All,
I have returned to the internets after my holiday trips.

Macuser360 - I love the blurred lights photo on page two, it looks great. Was it the full tree or just a portion of it?

Chappers - Thanks for posting the photograph of the kid on the beach. It's 5F here (Minnesota) as I write this and we just got 15 inches of snow, on Christmas no less, I needed the reminder that summer does exist somewhere.

Maxx - Your Jackson Hole photograph is very striking, I find that area of the USA to be beautiful and you captured the essence their Autumn season very well, nice job.

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Holiday?

Let me begin by saying that this is not a gripe, I really am slightly confused,

Is it just me that got it wrong or am I the victim of the difference between English English and American English?

It seems from the contributions to this competition that you guys over on the US side of the pond understand the competition title 'Holiday' slightly differently to us here in England since the majority of pictures have a 'Christmassy' theme whilst I personally took a much wider view of it and expected photos taken on holiday or about holidays at any other time of the year, just as a 'for instance', I would not have been surprised to have seen some people riding camels in the middle east (Nothing to do with the three wise men!) or scuba diving in the mediterranean.

I suspect that had a brit chosen the title they would have called it 'The Christmas Holidays'.

As I say not a criticism, merely an observation.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Is it just me that got it wrong or am I the victim of the difference between English English and American English?

It seems from the contributions to this competition that you guys over on the US side of the pond understand the competition title 'Holiday' slightly differently to us here in England since the majority of pictures have a 'Christmassy' theme whilst I personally took a much wider view of it and expected photos taken on holiday or about holidays at any other time of the year, just as a 'for instance', I would not have been surprised to have seen some people riding camels in the middle east (Nothing to do with the three wise men!) or scuba diving in the mediterranean.

I suspect that had a brit chosen the title they would have called it 'The Christmas Holidays'.

No confusion. You are right. We have always interpreted the theme broadly. This is just a question of what people have chosen. The fact that we would say "vacation" where you would say "holiday" surely influences these choices. If it makes you feel any better, I have not posted any Christmas images.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The Berlin Wall started to fall on November 9, 1989. It was a celebration of freedom and reunification. This section of the wall is at the Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston.

Attachments

• adventure-1.jpg
    adventure-1.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 107

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN

ukuleleman, I choose to use the word "Holiday" as a very broad topic. I completely understand that in the United Kingdom the word "holiday" is often used to describe what we call in America a "vacation". The timing of this topic allows people to post images from the Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years "Holidays" or a vacation "Holiday" or anything else they choose to interpret as a "Holiday". The goal of the challenge is not to force people to take photographs of a narrow topic but to instead get people out taking photos. With this in mind, topics are often chosen to give people as much latitude as possible.

JohnMC

Edit: If it makes you feel better, I will try to post an image from my vacation in Yellowstone Nat Park this last summer in the thread tonight.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Rockefeller Center , yesterday

someoldguy, I really like what you are trying to capture with this image. There are two things that are hindering this photograph in my opinion. The first is the trumpets seem a little soft. The second is I would love to see this same location as a vertical. I think the image would look superb as a vertical with the "trumpet walkway" leading your eye into the Christmas tree in the center.

JohnMC

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Hi All,
I have returned to the internets after my holiday trips.

Macuser360 - I love the blurred lights photo on page two, it looks great. Was it the full tree or just a portion of it?

Chappers - Thanks for posting the photograph of the kid on the beach. It's 5F here (Minnesota) as I write this and we just got 15 inches of snow, on Christmas no less, I needed the reminder that summer does exist somewhere.

Maxx - Your Jackson Hole photograph is very striking, I find that area of the USA to be beautiful and you captured the essence their Autumn season very well, nice job.

Thanks--it was a fun exercise to go through that shot. Your Yellowstone ornament shot brought a smile to my day :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

For the benefit of all new to this Challenge, here is page 1.

Fortnightly Challenge - Dec 18 thru Jan 8

Challenge topic: Holiday (the Holidays, a Vacation, be creative)

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Jan 8 (extended so everyone can take part in New Years.)

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

This is not a contest. Join in.

Dale

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
someoldguy, I really like what you are trying to capture with this image. There are two things that are hindering this photograph in my opinion. The first is the trumpets seem a little soft. The second is I would love to see this same location as a vertical. I think the image would look superb as a vertical with the "trumpet walkway" leading your eye into the Christmas tree in the center.

JohnMC

Your comments are appreciated . Actually , I'm surprised the image came out as well as it did . There had to be 20,000 people in and around Rock. Center that night , all trying to get pretty much the same pictures . I held the camera (a 5d mk2) over my head and tried to compose it using live view . Here's the specs for the image : f.5@1/30 Tamron 28-300 VR @ 100 , ISO 1250 . Maybe there was some shake the VR didn't compensate for . Anyway , I have to visit some friends in Queens on Saturday and if things work out I'll go back on my return trip and try to retake it as a vertical . I'll post it if I think it's OK.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
First time I've participated in the Fortnightly Challenge. I'd like to do more of them. Here's one from visiting family. I was trying to do a decent job without a tripod.

Attachments

• DSC_4583.jpg
    DSC_4583.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 94

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Your comments are appreciated . Actually , I'm surprised the image came out as well as it did . There had to be 20,000 people in and around Rock. Center that night , all trying to get pretty much the same pictures . I held the camera (a 5d mk2) over my head and tried to compose it using live view . Here's the specs for the image : f.5@1/30 Tamron 28-300 VR @ 100 , ISO 1250 . Maybe there was some shake the VR didn't compensate for . Anyway , I have to visit some friends in Queens on Saturday and if things work out I'll go back on my return trip and try to retake it as a vertical . I'll post it if I think it's OK.

I have that lens. I love it! Even an old guy like me can get sharp shots.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
First time I've participated in the Fortnightly Challenge. I'd like to do more of them. Here's one from visiting family. I was trying to do a decent job without a tripod.
^^^ EXIF Summary: 1/20s f/5.6 ISO200 200mm (35mm eq:300mm) ^^^

I like the colors and framing. Not bad for a hand-held photo. If you take your lens support arm, the one you have your watch on, and jam it in against your chest you can gain a little stability. Your elbow winds up on your stomach. Hard to describe.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Welcome to this forum. You have a good eye. I'm looking forward to your participation here.

It took me a few minutes to figure out this one. In the end I like it. The shadowy scene within the red and the motion blur give this a very eerie feel. I wonder if you intended what came out but it works.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
^^^ EXIF Summary: 1/20s f/5.6 ISO200 200mm (35mm eq:300mm) ^^^

I like the colors and framing. Not bad for a hand-held photo. If you take your lens support arm, the one you have your watch on, and jam it in against your chest you can gain a little stability. Your elbow winds up on your stomach. Hard to describe.

Dale

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time for sure. Typing this I was also thinking about how I learned to shoot a rifle. When we shot, you pull the trigger after exhaling and I would use the rifle sling as leverage to hold it more steady. Could probably do the same thing with a camera. I shoot alot with out a tripod. (most of the time I wish I had a tripod).

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Welcome to this forum. You have a good eye. I'm looking forward to your participation here.

It took me a few minutes to figure out this one. In the end I like it. The shadowy scene within the red and the motion blur give this a very eerie feel. I wonder if you intended what came out but it works.

There are very few shots that I take that come out the way I intended them. :) I was trying for a blurry background with as sharp of an image of me in the ball as I could get. It came out way underexposed but a little work with Aperture resulted in what you see. I wasn't going for an eerie feel just trying to capture a fish eye view of me in the ball.

Thanks for the comments and tips.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
A couple from a recent holiday in Genoa NV. (clickable)

Attachments

• _7004627.jpg
    _7004627.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 98
  • _7004630.jpg
    _7004630.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.