Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
That was a quick shot with the new camera, even though I have had it for a couple of weeks now, there is still obviously much to learn. Also, just learning how to use Aperture as well and tweaking all the different elements.

Maxxamillians is incredible with that photo, and the steps he went through to accomplish that, as of now, is far from my knowledge. Yet willing to learn and play. Between this forum, and the Nikon web page, I have learned quite a bit. The next step is to get some books that have been suggested on this site.
If you have Photoshop (elements) more can be achieved than meets the eye. Maxx is a master and I think there is something to aim for.

The next thread will be working on each others photos to see what fellow posters do with each others work. Maybe you could join us and hey maybe Maxx will work on a photo you submit.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Elaborate please ?

Of course. You are correct when you said it needed to be cropped. There is too much negative space (all of the black) in the original and the burst is centered in the image. Both of these things make the image sort of bland. Cropping out a lot of the black makes the burst the dominant part of the image. Moving the center of the burst to the top right creates movement as the trails fall into the frame. Because of the shape of the burst that is the only place it can go. If you create a mirror image then it would go top left. Our eyes naturally track left to right so you might want to make the mirrot image and see what looks best.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
That was a quick shot with the new camera, even though I have had it for a couple of weeks now, there is still obviously much to learn. Also, just learning how to use Aperture as well and tweaking all the different elements.

Maxxamillians is incredible with that photo, and the steps he went through to accomplish that, as of now, is far from my knowledge. Yet willing to learn and play. Between this forum, and the Nikon web page, I have learned quite a bit. The next step is to get some books that have been suggested on this site.

Is this more the direction I should be heading?

Books are great to teach you concepts. The only way to develop your own eye is to take lots of pictures. In this age of digital images )and no worries about film costs) many people shoot a lot of images hoping that something will come out. If you shoot fewer images of more subjects and pay attention to the composition you will learn more quickly.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Books are great to teach you concepts. The only way to develop your own eye is to take lots of pictures. In this age of digital images )and no worries about film costs) many people shoot a lot of images hoping that something will come out. If you shoot fewer images of more subjects and pay attention to the composition you will learn more quickly.

This is very good advice - there are times when lots of pictures of the same thing will yield results but not without good composition.

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Odd colours

The airline is still processing the claim. Besides that, they want $50 per bag to return them. :D:D

The tree growing out of the luggage is a bit distracting. If the green weren't so bright I think it would be better.

Yeh, your right, it's not the best picture I've ever taken, but my eyes were full of tears, those cases looked so sad, a bit like an abandoned dog!!

The tree is a strange colour, but the colour is really close to the original, it was a sort of fungus or alge and it was bright green.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Of course. You are correct when you said it needed to be cropped. There is too much negative space (all of the black) in the original and the burst is centered in the image. Both of these things make the image sort of bland. Cropping out a lot of the black makes the burst the dominant part of the image. Moving the center of the burst to the top right creates movement as the trails fall into the frame. Because of the shape of the burst that is the only place it can go. If you create a mirror image then it would go top left. Our eyes naturally track left to right so you might want to make the mirrot image and see what looks best.

Great advice thank you !

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Is this more the direction I should be heading?

Welcome. I really like what you did with this photo just by cropping it. You pulled the subject up front and moved him/her/former him/her out of the center of the frame. You also removed the distraction of the light cord without trying to PS it out. For me, PhotoShop alteration is a last resort. I try to do as much in the camera as possible. Excellent focus across the eyes.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
hello to all happy christmas

iam very new to all of this so bare with me i was very good this year

and santa brought me my first camera with lens

i have a sony a330 slr

very happy so i will be uploading my first pic ever all coments gratly recived

thank jason

this is my lovely wife that bought me my cam so this was my one of my first pics

Welcome.

Shots like this are difficult, and you did a good job on it. See if you can reshoot this with better framing and place the image in the mirror in sharp focus. Autofocus (I assume) did a nice job of focusing on your wife, but the subject is her face in the mirror.

Chappers beat me to it with his cropping suggestion, but let me explain why.

The dark curtains on either side of the frame distract from the subject and there is too much dark area above her head. I left more of the white on the right in, but had no real reason for that.

Excuse us for messin' with your photo. We do that...:rolleyes: Keep it up.

Dale

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-27 at 6.14.28 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-12-27 at 6.14.28 PM.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 112

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
Of course you can always do some work on your holiday snaps afterwards - all done in iPhoto. - I straightened it, cropped it, upped contrast and sharpness.

What do you think?

nice i like the crop and iam am using iphoto i finde it verry good i also have apiture

biut i find that very complicated and long winded i like the feel of iphoto and the simplisaty of that.

i dont know much about the setting and ajustments yet but still learning

loving the site and all the help and comets

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
Welcome.

Shots like this are difficult, and you did a good job on it. See if you can reshoot this with better framing and place the image in the mirror in sharp focus. Autofocus (I assume) did a nice job of focusing on your wife, but the subject is her face in the mirror.

Chappers beat me to it with his cropping suggestion, but let me explain why.

The dark curtains on either side of the frame distract from the subject and there is too much dark area above her head. I left more of the white on the right in, but had no real reason for that.

Excuse us for messin' with your photo. We do that...:rolleyes: Keep it up.

Dale

thats fantastic

i see what you mean will try to get my wifey to pose for me agine i did sneek up on her lol i did use a auto focus and i can remeber now the focuing on the back of her head

you lot are all ace giving me all this encurragement

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
thats fantastic

i see what you mean will try to get my wifey to pose for me agine i did sneek up on her lol i did use a auto focus and i can remeber now the focuing on the back of her head

you lot are all ace giving me all this encurragement

This thread is known for being friendly and helpful. Take your time - think about what you want to see in the photo and what you don't.

We are happy to offer encouragement and help.

I tried Aperture - wasn't keen - like some features of Picasa. Have Photoshop but use it less and less.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
nice i like the crop and iam am using iphoto i finde it verry good i also have apiture

biut i find that very complicated and long winded i like the feel of iphoto and the simplisaty of that.

i dont know much about the setting and ajustments yet but still learning

loving the site and all the help and comets

I never thought that iPhoto was not enough for me but I agree that Aperture is way too much. I currently use PhotoShop Elements. When I no longer feel this is adequate then I'll move up to PhotoShop. I expect it will be a long time before that happens.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
nice pic i like the light effecs that you have achived

This is how it looked. I try not to adjust my photos very much.
I live on a mountain surrounded by more mountains - so when the sun goes down - it appears to have set, but in reality is only hiding behind a mountain - it then (and just for a minute) pops out from behind the mountains edge and gives sometimes quite interesting effects.

This one - is looking in the opposite direction and I noticed the sky go a strange colour - this lasted for about 2 minutes.

4223914671_4a0053b949_b.jpg

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
I never thought that iPhoto was not enough for me but I agree that Aperture is way too much. I currently use PhotoShop Elements. When I no longer feel this is adequate then I'll move up to PhotoShop. I expect it will be a long time before that happens.

when i bought my mac i bought the package that will let you book lessons from the mac pepole

they said they will teach you anthing you want to know lasts a year and you can
ask them to teach you on any software or subjuect you can only get this offer when you buy a new mac

fingers crossed it was on £70 qid if it dose what it says on the tin than this will be good i think

madazrex

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
chappers

how cool living on a mountain are you in the uk and i bet you have seen lots of snow lol

well i live in weeton lancs uk nr blackpool but just down the road from the weeton army camp

it a very sleepy village and will be getting out and about with my cam today finger crossed

but my 2 little rascals wanted to pose for me

please comment on my photos as these are taken manualy

Attachments

• DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00080.jpg
    DSC00080.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 111

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
how cool living on a mountain are you in the uk and i bet you have seen lots of snow lol

well i live in weeton lancs uk nr blackpool but just down the road from the weeton army camp

it a very sleepy village and will be getting out and about with my cam today finger crossed

but my 2 little rascals wanted to pose for me

My mountain is about 2000 miles from the UK - I'm originally from Cambridge - which is very flat so being up high took some getting used too.

The mountain home is nice and lots of snow in the winter (well at least a metre of the white stuff) and very very hot in the summer 130F - 45C . Its has its plus points but everyone knows me because I'm the foreigner. I was adopted by a patisserie at one point. I never pay for a haircut. My son is given toys and sweets in shops. I once had to meet the entire family of a baker just because I mentioned his bread was good :D

Photos - nice kids - posing too - good. Girl - out of focus slightly - I'd get right down on the floor for these shots. I would crop the photos. Try adjusting the contrast and saturation in your photos too - you might like the results and is a good place to start with adjustments.
A good crop is also something to look into.

Attachments

• DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00080.jpg
    DSC00080.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 108

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
This is how it looked. I try not to adjust my photos very much.
I live on a mountain surrounded by more mountains - so when the sun goes down - it appears to have set, but in reality is only hiding behind a mountain - it then (and just for a minute) pops out from behind the mountains edge and gives sometimes quite interesting effects.

This one - is looking in the opposite direction and I noticed the sky go a strange colour - this lasted for about 2 minutes.

4223914671_4a0053b949_b.jpg

Live in the Rocky Mountains and love it when I see such dramatic cloud displays. Is there any way you could get rid of the buildings while keeping the tree silhouettes? I just love this picture :D :D

I am not one for landscape photography (it rarely does anything for me). This is a shot from a trip to Jackson, Wyoming just before the holidays. I couldn't resist the orange / blue complementary color potential.

752804120_t7C6e-XL.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Live in the Rocky Mountains and love it when I see such dramatic cloud displays. Is there any way you could get rid of the buildings while keeping the tree silhouettes? I just love this picture :D :D

I am not one for landscape photography (it rarely does anything for me). This is a shot from a trip to Jackson, Wyoming just before the holidays. I couldn't resist the orange / blue complementary color potential.

I love the colour contrast on your photo. Truly a lovely photo - but I am a bit like you - landscapes don't often do it for me - but yours is everything anyone could want from one.

As for mine - - buildings gone - I should have spent a bit more time on this - maybe it can be offered up for the next challenge (pre-building removal).

4226209930_6bcb6fda44_b.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<<__>>

Hi. Let me comment on your children: They are cute...:)...

And now the photos themselves.

Do what you can in the viewfinder to keep the subject out of the center of the frame. When we look at something in a frame, we tend to look first to a line about 1/3 of the way up the frame and then slide out of it. There is a visual rule called "rule of thirds" that will explain this. Look it up in Google or whatever.

Be aware of what is going on around the edges of the frame.. Try to avoid leaving things hanging part way in or out of the frame like the planter (?) on the left and your son's feet on the top. My design instructor used to tell us to "Make it look intentional", either include all of it or crop it out. That keeps a photo from looking haphazard.

Glasses and flash have been sworn enemies since the dawn to image making with film. This works fine, but I want to see his eyes more.

This is how I would crop this one. Just enough to remove the visual junk (on offense).
The photo of your daughter is fine except for the focus. Sharp focus on the eyes is critical for pictures of people. All would work better if he was looking to the frame right, but you can't have everything now, can you?

A real good and entertaining way to learn how to place a subject in a frame is to watch movies. Pay attention to how the frame is setup. Directors and cameramen pay extreme care to framing.

Dale

Attachments

• DSC00077crop.jpg
    DSC00077crop.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 110
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.