Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Nursing homes are usually seen as "ugly" places. My son's band was playing a concert at one of the local nursing homes. I was standing behind this lovely couple. They have probably been married forever and could not stop holding hands. They reminded me of my grandparents.

Attachments

• Hands-1000.jpg
    Hands-1000.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 330

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
After a few years of sitting I've started driving my Mustang again and it started making weird noises. I tracked down the loudest noise the rear brakes. Here is one of the brake pads, I love how smooth the grooves are. I couldn't get a decent shot of the rotors, maybe when I'm home next week.

4378356472_e71d0950d2_o.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Things are getting ugly in America, eh?
Why people in the Nisqually Delta tote 400 mm L lenses. I don't...

img0353r.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/250s f/8.0 ISO100 300mm

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_0353copy.jpg
    IMG_0353copy.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 65

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I've been having to shoot again for my design thesis class. Going to start with this one and may post some more if the shots come out.

Ugly-1.jpg

Attachments

• Ugly-1.jpg
    Ugly-1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 58

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I've been having to shoot again for my design thesis class. Going to start with this one and may post some more if the shots come out.

Ugly-1.jpg

^^^ Nice use of line and angle in the composition of this one. I think I would like to see a bit more of the bar in focus with a slightly deeper depth of field.
BTW: If you link from an online source like Photobucket, you don't need to upload the thumbnail to MR. Just the link is all you need.

Smoke from a structure fire (clickable)

^^^ This is a really interesting photo. The placement of the sun through the smoke is great. There is something camera-right that bothers me a bit. Just a bit of a crop?

^^^ Love the colors and line in this one, Chappers. Looks almost like a mirror reflection.

Nice photos, folks!

Dale

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
^^^ Nice use of line and angle in the composition of this one. I think I would like to see a bit more of the bar in focus with a slightly deeper depth of field.
BTW: If you link from an online source like Photobucket, you don't need to upload the thumbnail to MR. Just the link is all you need.

Thanks for the compliments. I plan on getting back to that spot to take some more with better/different lighting.

Only reason for outside link and attachment is I have run into problems with images from Photobucket being picky about loading.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks for the C & C guys. I'm just trying to keep up with the great images that have been submitted to the Challenge.

Designer Dale: here are a couple of other versions with light to moderate cropping. Is it the chimney on the right that throws it off?

Attachments

• DSC_0187-2.jpg
    DSC_0187-2.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0187-3.jpg
    DSC_0187-3.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 327

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the C & C guys. I'm just trying to keep up with the great images that have been submitted to the Challenge.

Designer Dale: here are a couple of other versions with light to moderate cropping. Is it the chimney on the right that throws it off?

I actually like the crop to the right better. Cool pic. Have you tried it in B&W?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Yes, that's it. I didn't want to jump back from the message window to see the pic again because I've had it dump all my text before...

The crop is better. Too bad you couldn't have a wider shot to show more of the smoke at the top. Do you work in Fire & Rescue?

Dale

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks JD Davis, and as requested:

Designer Dale: I was using a prime and unfortunately couldn't move back any more. Yes, not in the Suppression end though. I try and figure out what caused the fire.

Attachments

• DSC_0187-bw.jpg
    DSC_0187-bw.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 62

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Sorry I've been very busy lately and haven't had much time for contributing to the forums. Trying to get caught up a bit here (with some random commenting)...

Ugly paint, beautiful car, ugly car beautiful paint?

Shot yesterday, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania. Stitched with AutoPanoPro.

attachment.php

Nice light and complementary color scheme. Curious as to why you chose f/2.8, though? EXIF shows f/2.8, 1/8000s, ISO 640...an odd combination. I checked it because I was seeing the focus drop off halfway down the train and couldn't really see a reason for it.

Not sure about the beauty part...

792850050_jAhw6-XL.jpg

I really like the color in this one, although I'm undecided about the heavy vignetting. I supposed you decided that shallow DoF was not enough to provide some isolation, but we still get a sense of unresolved focus here (that is, my eye looks in vain for a good place to rest). I wonder if going the opposite route and having a riot of texture and color might be the way to go here--by lifting the veil of darkness a bit? Just a thought.

Life amongst death. Life is short. All that stuff...

flower1f.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/160s f/8.0 ISO100 84mm

Dale

Not sure I'm getting "death" out of this one, but you've done a nice job of providing a focal point in a shot with multiple flowers. Most people struggle to provide a "home base" for the eye when flowers are involved, especially when there are numerous flowers in the frame.

Nursing homes are usually seen as "ugly" places. My son's band was playing a concert at one of the local nursing homes. I was standing behind this lovely couple. They have probably been married forever and could not stop holding hands. They reminded me of my grandparents.

attachment.php

A very nice address to the theme. For this one, you might consider adding some subtle vignetting to contain the focus even more.

attachment.php

I prefer the one without the chimney. It's a great shot with that part out of the frame. Rather mystical and very much in keeping with this fortnight's theme.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Nice light and complementary color scheme. Curious as to why you chose f/2.8, though? EXIF shows f/2.8, 1/8000s, ISO 640...an odd combination. I checked it because I was seeing the focus drop off halfway down the train and couldn't really see a reason for it.

I left my gloves in the truck, so I didn't change my settings because I couldn't feel my fingers- I should have reset the camera before I got out of the truck or taken at least a thin pair of gloves, but sometimes you just have to go with what you have.

Paul

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Still looking for something that really fits the theme. You'd think with everything covered in dirty snow here I'd find it. This was from a frozen swampy area near the Potomac.

4382023314_6062aeb6c9_b.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
You are right. I realized this as I drove to work this morning. I will work on it and repost in the next day or two.

I agree with the vignetting. I was thinking the same. Nice pic and it sends a nice message.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
After a few years of sitting I've started driving my Mustang again and it started making weird noises. I tracked down the loudest noise the rear brakes. Here is one of the brake pads, I love how smooth the grooves are. I couldn't get a decent shot of the rotors, maybe when I'm home next week.

4378356472_e71d0950d2_o.jpg

I like the shot. I think it's nicely done. Is the beauty part the fact you didn't end up driving off a cliff with brakes like this? I think it needs something else in light of the challenge. Not sure if you could do anything with the car (beauty) and the horrid brakes together?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I don't think I've ever participated in one of these because I know jack shyte about photography but I took this in a tube station one day and exaggerated the motion blur in photoshop to give you this piece of ugly beauty:

After I took the shot I walked up The Escalator Less Travelled. It didn't make all the difference but there you go. :p

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Decay in the Morning Dew

I posted this photo to the daily thread last night because I temporarily decided I would not post it here. Why you may ask? Because, even though I shot it specifically for the challenge thread, somebody... **cough**...husband...**cough**...didn't think it was "ugly" enough. Well, I can assure you that most of the day, without the morning light and the morning dew, this dirty patio table looks just plain nasty. It's all covered in dirt and decaying petals (see this photo for proof). It was a fleeting moment yesterday morning that made it look beautiful. So here it is...

DecayInTheMorningDew2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.