Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the1sttransport

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2007
4396773149_c3f534bcbb_o.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
^^^ I think it works real well. The strong dark outline is in radical contrast to the soft hues of the sky. I think IO would like it better without the camera.

Dale

Thanks for the comment.

Not quite sure of what you mean about "IO would like it better without the camera" unless your suggesting that the silhouette should have left out the camera?

Still has the camera but it is a variation of the original shot.

4379929934_e18fcaf617.jpg

By the way just to clear my own concious I would comment on other people's photos but my school firewall blocks all the popular picture sharing sites. I have to even guess from the title's which pictures I am adding!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
By the way just to clear my own concious I would comment on other people's photos but my school firewall blocks all the popular picture sharing sites. I have to even guess from the title's which pictures I am adding!

Some of our images are posted directly. Are you able to see any of them? If so, then give feedback on those. We would love to get your feedback.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks for the comment.

Not quite sure of what you mean about "IO would like it better without the camera" unless your suggesting that the silhouette should have left out the camera?

Still has the camera but it is a variation of the original shot.

4379929934_e18fcaf617.jpg

Spelling error. "I'd like to see it without the camera". I mean that if you had the opportunity to shoot it over, it might be better with just the person. Smoother lines and such. Part of the "How could this photo be improved" mission of this thread.

BTW: Got your message regarding Flickr policy. Thanks.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
From my Mt. Rainier shoot. This guy wandered into the parking lot late in the day. I had my tripod set up in the bed of my truck and was able to snap this off. The snow up there was really ugly. Carbon and soot from folks using the sliding area.

fox1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/30s f/8.0 ISO100 237mm

Dale

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
This is a Mali spiny-tailed lizard. I cropped what I wanted, adjusted the color levels, cloned to fill in the shadows, adjusted brightness and contrast, and created a negative image.

I like the pic and I think the crop is just right. It gets the imagination going. I wish it was completely in focus all the way to the tip of the tail. What do you mean by "created a negative" exactly? I guess I'm asking what that would be in relation to digital post processing.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
forgive.jpg

Taken under the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis, MN.

Almost missed this one. I like the concept and what the pic is trying to convey very much. Is this cropped in from the original? I wonder what it would look like if there was a little more green around the "forgive".

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I like the pic and I think the crop is just right. It gets the imagination going. I wish it was completely in focus all the way to the tip of the tail. What do you mean by "created a negative" exactly? I guess I'm asking what that would be in relation to digital post processing.

I would like more to have been in focus as well. I shot this in a crowded space in the aquarium. The little bugger was hiding and I had to contort around the glass case to get this. The aquarium does not allow flash because of the negative impact on the animals. So..... short focal length + wide open aperture + close range to subject = no DOF.

Inverting colors is the digital equivalent of creating a negative image. I just can't get the old fangled film oriented language out of my vocabulary. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Beautiful and tasty. Some mistakenly think these are ugly. Well.... there's just no accounting.... :D:D:D

Attachments

• sprouts.jpg
    sprouts.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • sprouts-negative.jpg
    sprouts-negative.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I was getting the "beauty in the ugly" reptile vibe so here's my contribution from the DC Zoo reptile house. Deep Diver, I think my DOF was a bit shallow on this one as well as I didn't quite get to the end of his nose.

p773088866-4.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I was getting the "beauty in the ugly" reptile vibe so here's my contribution from the DC Zoo reptile house. Deep Diver, I think my DOF was a bit shallow on this one as well as I didn't quite get to the end of his nose.

I think the shallow DOF works here. The focus on the eye adds to the sinister feel. I would crop out some of the empty space on the left and top. I think it would work better if the eye were not center frame.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Another work shot. Wish I could get out more to take regular photos, but gotta pay the bills. (clickable)

Attachments

• DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 81

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Another work shot. Wish I could get out more to take regular photos, but gotta pay the bills. (clickable)
Well we started with what I thought summed up this thread with Dales photo of an ugly stream with a beautiful reflected sky. Now we finish with this stunning shot of the ugliness of fire that causes so much damage and yet is so beautiful.
Good work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.