Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - Nov 6 thru Nov 19

Challenge topic: Curvilinear i.e. Lines and Curves

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Nov 19

Rules
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The rains have settled in so you may be seeing other versions of this. I do need to move away from the ocean.

img9815v.jpg

Dale

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
A couple to get things going. I wish I had a wider lens for the interior room shot. Really didn't do justice to the curved ceiling.

Attachments

• DSC_2109.jpg
    DSC_2109.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_2079.jpg
    DSC_2079.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 103

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
A couple to get things going. I wish I had a wider lens for the interior room shot. Really didn't do justice to the curved ceiling.

This is a great shot. I disagree with your self-critique. I think you got the ceiling. In any DOF shot like this, you are going to have to "enter the frame" somewhere. If you wanted more of the ceiling you might have tried moving back more and/or shooting this as a vertical. Again, however, I like it as is.

Where is this?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
HERECY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your photo, however, is a winner. I really like the way the tape breaks the clean flow of the pipes and caps. I think that's what makes this image.

Thanks for the comments on the photo. I like the way the tape breaks up the solid forms, too.
I was born and raised in Ohio and have been in the Pacific Northwest for about 30 some years now. It is wonderful in the Spring and Summer, but during the Fall and Winter we get these moist flows of air from the Pacific called Pineapple Express. They bring variations of rain that run for weeks on end. It kills me to be stuck inside with an itchy shutter finger...:(...

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I was born and raised in Ohio and have been in the Pacific Northwest for about 30 some years now. It is wonderful in the Spring and Summer, but during the Fall and Winter we get these moist flows of air from the Pacific called Pineapple Express. They bring variations of rain that run for weeks on end. It kills me to be stuck inside with an itchy shutter finger...:(...

Dale

That explains it. I was raised in Philadelphia and we spent lots of time in the Atlantic City, NJ area ("down the Shore" to those in the know). There are no weeks long rain spells like on the West Coast. Now, however, I live in Cleveland - grey all of the time. :(:(:( I went to school in Cincinnati - smog all of the time. :mad::mad::mad:

Where in Ohio did you grow up?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
That explains it. I was raised in Philadelphia and we spent lots of time in the Atlantic City, NJ area ("down the Shore" to those in the know). There are no weeks long rain spells like on the West Coast. Now, however, I live in Cleveland - grey all of the time. :(:(:( I went to school in Cincinnati - smog all of the time. :mad::mad::mad:

Where in Ohio did you grow up?

Born and raised in Toledo, half way between Detroit and Cleveland. Went to college at Ohio University in Athens. I have lived in Boston, as well. The East coast is not as wet as the West coast, but some of the winter storms can be awesome. In the words of Blue Velvet; it's a strange world.

Dale

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
I really like the way you caught the curved lines of the blinds NathanCH. Nice shot.

Designer Dale, outstanding shot! Great colors and the tape caps it off. Way to start the challenge.

Another nice shot deep diver. The 'noodles' turned out great.

Also, thanks for the C & C diver. The location is the Residenz Museum in Munich. It's an amazing place made even better when they allow photographs (but no flash). I took it using a DX camera and a 20mm lens. I just wish for the few degrees wider I get now that I'm shooting FX. A 24mm PC-E lens on a FX camera would be ideal for the location, but I haven't saved up enough pennies for that lens yet.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Born and raised in Toledo, half way between Detroit and Cleveland. Went to college at Ohio University in Athens. I have lived in Boston, as well. The East coast is not as wet as the West coast, but some of the winter storms can be awesome. In the words of Blue Velvet; it's a strange world.

Dale

I certainly know where Toledo is. I've made many rest stops there traveling between "Chicagoland" and Cleveland. Even stopped at Paco's once but they were closed. So sad. :( My oldest just moved to Boston to study at Berklee School of Music. This is getting strange. Perhaps we are long lost brothers or something. :D:D:D:D

Remains of the Roman baths, Trier Germany

I studied in Jerusalem for a year. You see this kind of thing all over the place. There are so many aspects of these ancient sites that you captured really well. Brings back a lot of memories as well.

NathanCH -- I like the depth on this. I initially had a little difficulty seeing what this is because of the perspective (comment, not critique). I especially like the color and form of the copper colored swatches. The focus is a little too soft for my eye and makes it hard to find a focal point. I'm interested to know if that was your intent.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This one was really hard because of the complexity of the chandelier. My wife likes it. I don't know.

Attachments

• Curvilinear-06-900.jpg
    Curvilinear-06-900.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 88

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I just picked up a "lead" from POTD for a photo blending program called xFuse. I found it at http://www.kekus.com/for_reg_users/

"XFuse is a Mac OS X front-end for the Enfuse exposure blending tool. Enfuse merges images using the Mertens-Kautz-Van Reeth exposure blending algorithm. The result is an image where details are present in the highlight and shadow areas without the need to create a high dynamic range image and then attempt to adjust to a format usable for printing or web viewing. XFuse is designed to either process single image sets or folders full of images."

I tried it and it works well. Very cool stuff.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Buckley Bench Detail. This is a seperate shot from the one I have in POTD. Horrid light.

Dale

It is a good shot for the topic. There is a lot here. The light certainly gave you flat tones. The blue at the bottom gives some life to the image but also draws attention away from the chair. I blocked out the blue and my eye went right to the chair, but the image looked even more flat. I imagine this would not be an issue if you had some good light.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
The rains have settled in so you may be seeing other versions of this. I do need to move away from the ocean.
Dale
Quality stuff - so simple but so effective.
More quality.
Here's my first. Far from the ocean but close to my pool.
You bought back some memories of a recent holiday with my son - again simple but effective.
Remains of the Roman baths, Trier Germany
I took a photo like this the day before yesterday on a similar building but in a different world. Mine is not as good as this. Although I'd straighten this a little.
I just picked up a "lead" from POTD for a photo blending program called xFuse. I found it at http://www.kekus.com/for_reg_users/
I tried it and it works well. Very cool stuff.
Thank you - I will try this.
Got the linear part ... now gotta work on the curve part .
I see curves - nice shot

Buckley Bench Detail. This is a seperate shot from the one I have in POTD. Horrid light.
Dale
Nice concept but a shame about the light.

The foyer floor at Cleveland's Cole Eye Institute.
Nice work - this fits the theme.

Hopefully I'll get back here with a shot sometime today. Finally after a few grey days and even some snow (and its only November!!) the sun is back out and providing some light.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The foyer floor at Cleveland's Cole Eye Institute.

Very nice piece of framing. I like the fluid but staccato movement imparted by the swirl. You have the same issue I do with my bench. Flat subjects give flat images. For what we are trying to do, this works fine.

I usually don't PhotoShop my pictures very much. I'm a "you see what I saw" photographer. That said, I may work on this in PS and see if I can improve the depth by trying to lighten the lower strip of that wall.

Dale

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Also posted in the POTD thread
Taken during low tide in Abel Tasman National Park in NZ

Attachments

• P1020770_2.jpg
    P1020770_2.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.