Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
_MG_1526.jpg

miastole

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Los Angeles
This is the Glendale CA Airport. Early fliers took off from here and Casablanca ending was shot here as well.

Attachments

• GlendaleAirport2.0 (1).jpg
    GlendaleAirport2.0 (1).jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 65

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is the ceiling of the Cole Eye Institute, looking straight up from the center of that floor shot. The sky light is fashioned after an eye. The ceiling is painted in some really boring/ugly neutral colors. I was messing around and came up with this. I created a negative and adjusted the lighting levels.

Attachments

• Curvilinear-10a-1400-2.jpg
    Curvilinear-10a-1400-2.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 64

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
water well

not too curvy and way too linear... Unfortunately don't have the opportunity to go out with my camera these days and this is the best fitting picture i had from a previous trip...

P.S. Chappers your bridge picture is stunning and now is my desktop background.

Attachments

• indiawaterwell.jpg
    indiawaterwell.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 72

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
not too curvy and way too linear... Unfortunately don't have the opportunity to go out with my camera these days and this is the best fitting picture i had from a previous trip...<snip>

This is an extremely interesting photo. Could you fill us in on what we're looking at? Strikes me as something I would expect from an archeologist in these parts.

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
not too curvy and way too linear... Unfortunately don't have the opportunity to go out with my camera these days and this is the best fitting picture i had from a previous trip...

P.S. Chappers your bridge picture is stunning and now is my desktop background.

I'll happily send you the full version by email if you would like.

Your picture is as Dale says - very interesting - very interesting indeed. Obviously we need more information - quality stuff.

OK Bruce - it looks like some sort of material - I obviously considered marine life but I honestly don't know.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

Your picture is as Dale says - very interesting - very interesting indeed. Obviously we need more information - quality stuff.

OK Bruce - it looks like some sort of material - I obviously considered marine life but I honestly don't know.

^^^I thought this was not a contest, but Bruce seems to be making it a guessing game... The graphics thread has Identify This Font. Maybe Bruce could start an Identify This Marine Life Thingy...

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Okay. This is not a "marine life thingy." If it were, then I would have shot it through glass and it would be all blue-green.

The last couple of days have been really hard. I guess this seemed a little cuter last night when I was physically and emotionally exhausted. This is a panel from a tie produced under Jerry Garcia's name. It caught my attention because I used to do clinical work (I'm a therapist) with a guy at the Indiana State Prison who was a "Dead Head". He told me that when he was using his own product (he "earned" his living making and selling LSD stamps) he would see patterns just like this.

What has always caught my eye is the fluidity and motion created by the pattern in the weave.

I promise -- no more guessing games and no more posts when I'm too tired.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land

It's from a recent adventure to India. The picture shows only some of the steps of a gigantic water well called a bawdi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepwell

It'd be great if you could send the full version!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
What has always caught my eye is the fluidity and motion created by the pattern in the weave.

I promise -- no more guessing games and no more posts when I'm too tired.

So I was close - but don't stop throwing them in - I rather enjoy the challenge.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I'm not sure of the level of PhotoShop knowledge here so I put together a tutorial on using Levels with Adjustment Layers. Adjustment Layers allow you to edit a photo by putting Levels, Brightness and Contrast and such on layers above the original. You can adjust the original without actually changing it. You can turn the Adjustment Layer on and off to see the changes and even throw it away if you don't like it. This means you don't have to go back to the History Pallet all the time. This process is called Non-Destructive Editing. When I do this with something important, I copy the original layer and hide it. Then I have a spare copy right there in case I really mess things up.

To create an Adjustment Layer, click on the split circle icon in the Layers Pallet. For this I selected Levels. The result is the second screen shot. I added some notes to the Histogram. My photo has lots of shadow detail and little in the highlights. I pulled the sliders in to put more emphasis on the shadows in the third screen shot. If you hold the Option key, the Cancel Button changes to Reset and you can go back to where you started without closing any windows. This works in most windows that have Cancel. Handy.

The result of all this is my next post. I'll include a thumbnail of the original.

Dale

Thx Dale;
I have 0 training in RAW editing, just playing in iPhoto, moving sliders, seeing what "looks right" to my eye w/o formal background.
(I usually hate training books also.....)
Every tip learned becomes base knowledge to build on. I think PSE8 can do what you outlined as well, will try.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I like this a lot. The people on the balcony are a huge distraction. I'd love to see this with those "intruders" Photoshopped out.

Thanks ... we tried to get there at opening , but so did everyone else . If I get a chance this weekend , maybe I'll try to send those unwanted tourists into the ozone .

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Had my choice of doing the work I took home tonight , or expunging unwanted humanity from the Guggenheim. Work lost.

IMG_1412_1319nt.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I submitted this to my first POTW challenge. Chicago's answer to NY's Central Park is called Millennium Park. There is this polished chrome sculpture in the middle called "Cloud Gate". It looks like a big shiny kidney bean. This is Chicago's Loop reflected in the bean.

Attachments

• Chicago in Bean-1.JPG
    Chicago in Bean-1.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 76

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I'm having trouble finding a good subject for this challenge, so I have decided to pull out an old photo.

3370153093_601a2e0650.jpg

The horizontal (curvilinear) line is the International Space Station.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Rail lines in Buckley, Washington's Heritage Park. The sky is like that for most of the fall and winter around here, and I won't reshoot this area until the spring. I make do with what I have to make do with...

buckleyrail.jpg

Quiz: If the rail car moves toward the camera, will it take the left or right tracks? Explain your answer.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Rail lines in Buckley, Washington's Heritage Park. The sky is like that for most of the fall and winter around here, and I won't reshoot this area until the spring. I make do with what I have to make do with...

Quiz: If the rail car moves toward the camera, will it take the left or right tracks? Explain your answer.

Dale

This is great. I do not like the washed out sky, but that is out of your control. On the other hand, that helps keep the eye on the subject. The colors are rich and framing are perfect. The tracks and junction pull the eye into the frame, but then the bend in the track creates an unexpected disturbance that enhances the image. Well done.

The car will go to the track on our right. The switch and the position of the switch tracks are set that way.

BTW: Was this shot in an aquarium through glass as well?? :rolleyes:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I thought getting something good out of the fire pit would be easy. It was pretty hard to record the curve of the bowl in a picture.

Attachments

• Curvilinear-04b-1200.jpg
    Curvilinear-04b-1200.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Vincent had a go ...... I took this in Paris where they let you photograph the paintings - it is quite difficult.

Attachments

• Van Gogh 2.jpg
    Van Gogh 2.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 79

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I submitted this to my first POTW challenge. Chicago's answer to NY's Central Park is called Millennium Park. There is this polished chrome sculpture in the middle called "Cloud Gate". It looks like a big shiny kidney bean. This is Chicago's Loop reflected in the bean.
Didn't you win with this? Nice shot.

I'm having trouble finding a good subject for this challenge, so I have decided to pull out an old photo.
The horizontal (curvilinear) line is the International Space Station.
An oldie but a goody.

Dale
Would that be the trains left or mine? :)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Didn't you win with this? Nice shot.

That was the beginning of February. How do you remember that?

Anyway, yes it did win. That was the first time I ever submitted a photo to any contest. Not a bad way to start.

Would that be the trains left or mine? :)

I'll bet it's a trick and he posted a mirror image of the original. In that case, we are wrong no matter what we answer. Of course that means Dale would also have to be wrong. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.