Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Vincent had a go ...... I took this in Paris where they let you photograph the paintings - it is quite difficult.

I think Vincent was brilliant. It's the frame that catches my eye here. It has great depth and character.

BTW: In most museums on this side non-professionals only can take photographs. I was shooting some stuff at Chicago's Art Institute and was told I could not use a monopod which they consider to be professional equipment. The guard then shadowed me through the entire gallery. It must be hard not having anything better to do than stalk a "monopodist".

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I think Vincent was brilliant. It's the frame that catches my eye here. It has great depth and character.

BTW: In most museums on this side non-professionals only can take photographs. I was shooting some stuff at Chicago's Art Institute and was told I could not use a monopod which they consider to be professional equipment. The guard then shadowed me through the entire gallery. It must be hard not having anything better to do than stalk a "monopodist".

:eek:I have a monopod. It cost $60. Does that make me a professional? Now I can charge for posting my witty comments and sharing my vast knowledge of whatever...:cool:...

Prepare to suffer, all monopodless minions...

Dale 2.0 Pro

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I am in awe. $60 is top of the line. I paid $30 for mine. I'm feeling very inadequate. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder when Chappers' birthday is. Perhaps we should all chip in....... :D:D:D

Bugger - my mother has been here for two weeks on holiday (leaving tomorrow) and I totally forgot about a prezzie for myself and she keeps asking if I want something.

Still I can't complain - I've survived this long without a stick - I can survive a little longer. I think my son got all the presents :D

Taking photos of paintings in Paris was OK - they seemed to have relaxed in the Louve - with the Mona Lisa as it was very strict when we were there.
I've never seen anyone allowed to take shots in museums in the UK. They want you to buy posters and cards.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I got bored this evening.

Attachments

• double.jpg
    double.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 80

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm stumped and need help.

I started playing around with RAW this evening. I am using PSE 6 for Mac. When I finished working with the image it saved as a .dng file. I could then save the .dng as any one of a few file formats but not as a plain ol' jpeg. What am I missing?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm stumped and need help.

I started playing around with RAW this evening. I am using PSE 6 for Mac. When I finished working with the image it saved as a .dng file. I could then save the .dng as any one of a few file formats but not as a plain ol' jpeg. What am I missing?

This is the RAW edit interface that comes up in PhotoShop CS3 when I click Edit on a RAW image in iPhoto. Does Elements look anything like this??

Edit: If you have a Format: Digital Negative drop-down, it has .jpg and .tiff options.

Dale

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-14 at 9.30.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-14 at 9.30.34 PM.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 79

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is the RAW edit interface that comes up in PhotoShop CS3 when I click Edit on a RAW image in iPhoto. Does Elements look anything like this??

Edit: If you have a Format: Digital Negative drop-down, it has .jpg and .tiff options.

Dale

I got that piece. I was working in 16-bit color and it will not automatically convert to 8-bit. PSE's RAW converter will only save as a dng file. If you open the file in PSE you can then save it as jpg as long as it was saved in 8-bit in the dng.

I'm having another problem that what I have after I do the adjustments in the RAW converter and open the image in PSE only some of the changes carry over and the two images do not look alike. I'll keep working on that one.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I got that piece. I was working in 16-bit color and it will not automatically convert to 8-bit. PSE's RAW converter will only save as a dng file. If you open the file in PSE you can then save it as jpg as long as it was saved in 8-bit in the dng.

I'm having another problem that what I have after I do the adjustments in the RAW converter and open the image in PSE only some of the changes carry over and the two images do not look alike. I'll keep working on that one.

jpeg does not seem to recognize 16 bit color. png and tif do, however. The first screen shot below is 16 bit and the second is 8 bit. Why do you want to use 16 bit? My glass photo blew up to 60MB at the 240 dpi that my Canon gives me. That is very much not postable. I don't know if 16 bit prints better than 8 bit. Tif is the best storage format because it doesn't loose detail when it is opened and re-saved like jpg does. png is supposed to be lossless too.

Edit: Here is a link on 8 and 16 bit color. 8 bit gives 16 million colors, which is more than the eye can see. 16 bit gives trillions of colors.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/16-bit/

Dale

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 2.29.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 2.29.37 PM.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 2.31.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 2.31.09 PM.png
    354 KB · Views: 74

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Mine for today. Glass sculptures in the reflecting pool. It is on the terrace between the Museum of History and Museum of Glass.

reflectingpoolsculpture.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/400s f/8.0 ISO100 77mm

Dale​

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I got bored this evening.

^^^Interesting use of symmetry in a simple light/dark layout. You might increase the interest level by cropping off part of the left or right side to knock it a bit off balance.

I thought this might make the Curvilinear topic, took and played with it 3 days ago...
_MG_1521.jpg

^^^What I had to say for Deep Diver applies here, too. This has a nice variation in the weight of the curves.

Still in Paris.

4093680890_8c05f47b91_b.jpg

^^^I like this a lot. The lines of the walls and ceiling pull my eye into the door at the end. It is just enough off center to keep from looking like a vortex. Nice.

My son likes snails and designed this for me to photograph.

4105919544_4318d63a6f_b.jpg

^^^Nature has a wonderful way of translating numbers and form into beautiful shapes. There is a thing called Golden Numbers or Fibonacci Numbers that explain the symmetry of shells and flowers. Even the growth of cells. Wow your son with his hidden knowledge of Fibonacci. Look at the link below.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_17.htm

Nice work by all. If I missed you, well, my aim has never been all that good...;)...

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Wow your son with his hidden knowledge of Fibonacci.

He may only be three but he has hidden talents - and takes quite good photos too. My wife doesn't really like the P&S Samsung I bought for her so he uses it. My dSLR is a bit heavy for him so that will have to wait.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Mine for today. Glass sculptures in the reflecting pool. It is on the terrace between the Museum of History and Museum of Glass.
Dale​

This seems to lack definition as its quite dark. Its all there as a potentially great photo - but lacks a little of your usual touch.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This seems to lack definition as its quite dark. Its all there as a potentially great photo - but lacks a little of your usual touch.

I agree about too dark, but.......... I have not commented on this one because I have been struggling with it. It is not "eye catching" but that makes me have to examine it very closely. I see new things every time I look at it and there are many terrific aspects of this image. If I did not intentionally look at it, as this forum encourages, I might not take notice. I think that is the down side.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Agate and hematite. These images are particularly important to me. In August 2008 I was very seriously injured. I am very happy still to be part of the world. We were not sure, however, that I would be able to hold a camera again. These images come from my first day back behind the lens.

Attachments

• Agate-2.jpg
    Agate-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • Hematite.jpg
    Hematite.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 67

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Agate and hematite. These images are particularly important to me. In August 2008 I was very seriously injured. I am very happy still to be part of the world. We were not sure, however, that I would be able to hold a camera again. These images come from my first day back behind the lens.

Speaking as someone from the other side of the planet who is pleased to say : I'm glad you were able to take these photos because ...... well, just because. Great stuff and although I've seen several of your mineral shots - I don't get bored of them.

I agree on Dales photo but for me it needs tweaking just a little. It seems fuzzy - like I'm a photo expert :eek: (not)

4111784215_b72b2ded7a_o.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This is a reprocess based on suggestions. There are a lot of distractions in the bottom of the pool like algae and coins. I tried to limit their impact by toning the shot down. This is lighter.

reflectingpool2.jpg

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Here is another from the Bridge of Glass in Tacoma. The ceiling is made of panels like the one I posted in Photo of the Day and the walls have these sculptures in glass blocks.

bridgeofglassvase.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/60s f/8.0 ISO100 28mm

Dale
Edit: Two days left of this project. Start dreaming up fantastic ideas for us to play with.​

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
This certainly has lines and curves . Took it at the Chihuly exhibit at the DeYoung Museum in SF a 2 summers ago.

IMG_0110_1319.jpg

Dale..... Thought your ceiling in POTD looked familiar ... same guy.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Speaking as someone from the other side of the planet who is pleased to say : I'm glad you were able to take these photos because ...... well, just because. Great stuff and although I've seen several of your mineral shots - I don't get bored of them.

Thank you.

I agree on Dales photo but for me it needs tweaking just a little. It seems fuzzy - like I'm a photo expert :eek: (not)

I like this rendering the best. You've done a great job of bringing up the richness of the blue.

This certainly has lines and curves . Took it at the Chihuly exhibit at the DeYoung Museum in SF a 2 summers ago.

I like almost all of Chihuly's work. One of my favorite pieces is "The Flame of Liberty" at the National Liberty Museum in Philadelphia (the greatest city in the world). This is not my photo.

Attachments

• Chihuly.jpg
    Chihuly.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.