Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I posted the lightbulb in one of the POTW contests.

Attachments

• Curvilinear-03-1100.jpg
    Curvilinear-03-1100.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • 1-bulb-5b 900.jpg
    1-bulb-5b 900.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 64

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This certainly has lines and curves . Took it at the Chihuly exhibit at the DeYoung Museum in SF a 2 summers ago.

IMG_0110_1319.jpg

Dale..... Thought your ceiling in POTD looked familiar ... same guy.

Dale Chihuly is a Tacoma, Washington native. The Museum of Glass was originally named Chihuly Museum of Glass. The man is a maniacal genius. There are 20 installations of his works in the Seattle-Tacoma area.

Visit his official site

http://www.chihuly.com/

Dale

pyth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Looking from the balcony on a cruise in the Western Caribbean. The curve is on the horizon, however slight it might be.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 74

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Playing around with a macro. This is a quarter size hole in a chimney cap caused by a lightning strike. (clickable)

Attachments

• _7003176.jpg
    _7003176.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 70

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Playing around with a macro. This is a quarter size hole in a chimney cap caused by a lightning strike.

I wish I had a chance to look at this before knowing what it is. It would have been fun to figure it out. I like this image and I'm fascinated by the patterns and features caused by the strike. My only suggestion would be to crop out some of the right side. The amount of empty space keeps pulling my eye away from the pipe. I cropped it enough to eliminate the distraction but left enough still to show it is a pipe.

Attachments

• CKW.jpg
    CKW.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 55

Subaquaman

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
norcal
Taken with canon G10 and canon underwater housing. The spiral hose was an intriguing shape. This picture was the best of a few. let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_3351.jpg
    IMG_3351.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 83

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Taken with canon G10 and canon underwater housing. The spiral hose was an intriguing shape. This picture was the best of a few. let me know what you think.

Welcome to our group. I saw your other post on POTW, but can't comment on that one until the contest closes.

I've spent lots of time in the water (hence my name) and I know how difficult it is to control the environment. This is a good photo. I like the relationship between the kid (your son???) and the skimmer hose. There is also a great relationship between the hose and the curve of the pool on the right side of the image. The colors are good for being shot under water. Underwater shots are difficult. They are even more difficult if being shot through glass, but that's another story. (Chappers or Designer Dale can tell you all about that. :D:D:D:D:D)

The one thing I really do not like at all in this image is the automatic skimmer. COME ON. If you're gonna own a pool, do it right. :D:D:D:D:D

Again, welcome and keep posting.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
LOL Dale/diver/Chappers, thanks for the C&C.

I am really liking the Museum of Glass photos!! Another place to add to my list of spots to visit.

Nice shot kallisti!

diver, here is one for you to try and figure out ;)

Attachments

• _7003171 - Version 2.jpg
    _7003171 - Version 2.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 63

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
kallisti - nice shot - pity about the sky but weather is weather.

I'll pop in this as my last shot.

Attachments

• S6302999.jpg
    S6302999.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 69

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
kallisti -- I like this and I think the overcast sky is what makes this possible. I lived in St. Louis for 2 years and have many failed attempts at shooting the Arch. I think the silver/grey of the Arch and the grey sky compliment each other well. I really like the texture in the Arch that the overcast sky allows. Well done.

diver, here is one for you to try and figure out ;)

I am not sure, but I'll try. It looks like it's ferric. I'm going to say it's a macro shot from the same shoot as the chimney cap. I wonder if it was also struck by lightening. I do not see any singe but the globules suggest the metal was melted. How'd I do?

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
kallisti -- I like this and I think the overcast sky is what makes this possible. I lived in St. Louis for 2 years and have many failed attempts at shooting the Arch. I think the silver/grey of the Arch and the grey sky compliment each other well. I really like the texture in the Arch that the overcast sky allows. Well done.

Thanks. I was driving through on my way to K.C. and decided to stop and take some shots. I attempted some super-wide shots and they looked horrible--made the arch seem tiny and distorted in all the wrong ways. Wasn't happy with any of the shots that included the ground either. I initially cursed at the overcast sky, but for this shot I thought it kind of helped. Thanks again for the comments.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
I am not sure, but I'll try. It looks like it's ferric. I'm going to say it's a macro shot from the same shoot as the chimney cap. I wonder if it was also struck by lightening. I do not see any singe but the globules suggest the metal was melted. How'd I do?

Pretty close, but a different type of failure. Here are some uncropped versions. It's an electric element from a stove top. It appears that over time the insulation around the energized line inside the element became damaged and caused an arc to occur within the element blowing it outward. The damage from the element arc also easily penetrated the bottom of the pot that was sitting on the element (and scared the heck out of the homeowner who was turning the stove on).

You definitely have potential if you ever decide on a career change. :D

Attachments

• _7003171.jpg
    _7003171.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 70
  • _7003172.jpg
    _7003172.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.