Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
2024 agenda: leuchtturm1917 A5 weekly.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Last edited:

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I just looked up a Leuchtturm1917 planner, and was a bit amused to see that it has acid free paper. So one use archival ink, and preserve the planner forever, immortalizing such entries such as: "Take car in for oil change." 😆

(Although I suppose some might want long term archival quality for one reason or another, like to record major events that occur, etc.)

Past this, I like the looks of Leuchtturm1917...although it's A) sold out, B) more than I want to spend and C)I really don't need a planner (which is one reason for "more than I want to spend").

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
Last year, I was a bit tempted by some Midori planners I saw advertised at one on-line store. Small, month at a glance (which is more planner than I really need). But there was also a Japanese transit map of some sort, which I thought might be fun to show to a couple of people I know who worked for public transit agencies.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just looked up a Leuchtturm1917 planner, and was a bit amused to see that it's got acid free paper. So one use archival ink, and preserve the planner forever, immortalizing such entries such as: "Take car in for oil change." 😆

(Although I suppose some might want long term archival quality for one reason or another, like to record major events that occur, etc.,)

Past this, I like the looks of Leuchtturm1917...atlhough it's A) sold out, B) more than I want to spend and C)I really don't need a planner (which is one reason for "more than I want to spend").
It really is - one almost hesitates to write words such as "beautiful" - but, it really is a beautiful experience to write on such good quality paper (especially, when writing with a fountain pen).

These days, I use them (and nothing else) when taking notes, taking minutes, and just........when writing.

I used to use Moleskine, as well, but the the quality of the paper they use has really deteriorated in the past decade.

Reactions: WriteNow

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
It really is - one almost hesitates to write words such as "beautiful" - but, it really is a beautiful experience to write on such good quality paper (especially, when writing with a fountain pen).

These days, I use them (and nothing else) when taking notes, taking minutes, and just........when writing.

I used to use Moleskine, as well, but the the quality of the paper they use has really deteriorated in the past decade.
I've been mostly using fountain pens the last year, and I'm seriously tempted to start using only using them. I'm finding that I like using ballpoint/roller ball/gel pens less and less. But there are times when it seems like those lesser pens are more practical, such as dealing with really bad paper. A lot of paper seems pretty terrible here in the US.

As for quality paper... I have a small supply of Rhodia, which I used to write a note to someone yesterday, and it was an interesting experience using something that behaved well compared to most paper I use. But Rhodia isn't cheap. (Yes. I'm a cheapskate. And I've been writing so much this year that I'd rack up quite a paper bill if I used nothing but the good stuff.) My next round of ink will probably be chosen partly with "handles terrible paper gracefully" as a criteria.

Apparently, some were finding really good deals on Leuchtturm1917 notebooks in Home Goods stores. I visited the local store several times in hopes of finding something, but that hope was in vain.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
Another thought on paper...

My first exposure to fountain pens (at least that I recall) was when my father got one as a birthday gift. He did not use it much or for long--in fact, I can't even remember him using it. I think I heard one issue was that the cheap writing paper he used at work didn't work well with fountain pens, but I can't remember that for certain. It sort of puzzles me now--he wrote a fair amount, and while I can appreciate his frugality in using cheap ballpoints and cheap paper, I'd think that least upgrading the pen (even if only to a better ball point) would have made his life more pleasant.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've been mostly using fountain pens the last year, and I'm seriously tempted to start using only using them. I'm finding that I like using ballpoint/roller ball/gel pens less and less. But there are times when it seems like those lesser pens are more practical, such as dealing with really bad paper. A lot of paper seems pretty terrible here in the US.

As for quality paper... I have a small supply of Rhodia, which I used to write a note to someone yesterday, and it was an interesting experience using something that behaved well compared to most paper I use. But Rhodia isn't cheap. (Yes. I'm a cheapskate. And I've been writing so much this year that I'd rack up quite a paper bill if I used nothing but the good stuff.) My next round of ink will probably be chosen partly with "handles terrible paper gracefully" as a criteria.

Apparently, some were finding really good deals on Leuchtturm1917 notebooks in Home Goods stores. I visited the local store several times in hopes of finding something, but that hope was in vain.
To my mind, Rhodia is also pretty good; actually, I've used it, and will still use it, for, while it is not quite on a par with Leuchtturm1917, it is actually very, very good and I will cheerfully use it in the absence of Leuchtturm1917.

No, neither Rhodia nor Leuchtturmm1917 are cheap; neither are (good) fountain pens.

However, unlike computers (or ballpoint pens) which are very forgiving of poor quality paper - fountain pens are not, and the ink simply will not hold (it will feather and spread, and will not hold its shape when the paper has been inked) when you use it to write on poor quality paper.

The thing is, the quality of paper available has deteriorated so much (for which I blame the fact that computers do not need paper of such good quality on which to print, and neither do ballpoint pens, thus, the default for the entire stationary industry has become poor quality paper, which is clearly cheaper to produce), that, if one wishes to be able to write - when using a fountain pen - with any degree of comfort (and legibility), one needs good quality paper.

And no, it is not cheap.

The paradox, or irony, is that I have also come across very good quality paper in some - perhaps less well developed countries - places such as some of the former communist countries of central and eastern Europe, the Balkans, the former Soviet space, (and Japan also produces some excellent quality paper).

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
The thing is, the quality of paper available has deteriorated so much (for which I blame the fact that computers do not need paper of such good quality on which to print, and neither do ballpoint pens, thus, the default for the entire stationary industry has become poor quality paper, which is clearly cheaper to produce),

Before the end of 2022, it had been years since I last used a fountain pen with any regularity. In the past, when I used fountain pens (at one point in the 1990s almost exclusively), I had no problems that I recall now. Although I'm sure some paper was less than ideal. But I've had experiences the last year with paper that was downright terrible.

One thing that is a bit puzzling to me is that while fountain pens are very much of a niche item, it seems like gel pens are pretty common, and I'd think they'd benefit from better behaved paper. Which is something one would think the paper makers would think of. Although, in my experience, I've noticed that gel pens (and roller balls) don't seem to have quite as much trouble. I suspect the ball helps to meter out the ink--so the ink might not behave well, but it's a controlled amount going onto the paper.
that, if one wishes to be able to write - when using a fountain pen - with any degree of comfort (and legibility), one needs good quality paper.
The hitch, though, is that paper quality may not be in one's control, and one may wish to use a fountain pen. Some might take this to extremes--like trying to find something that will work on a newspaper crossword puzzle. But there is also the situation of an office with cheap copier paper. So at that point, some will find ways to make a fountain pen workable--at least for them--under less than ideal circumstances. One trick I've heard many times is using something like a Japanese fine nib. Or selecting an ink that is known to behave well with bad paper.

The paradox, or irony, is that I have also come across very good quality paper in some - perhaps less well developed countries - places such as some of the former communist countries of central and eastern Europe, the Balkans, the former Soviet space, (and Japan also produces some excellent quality paper).
I don't know much about those places, but I have to wonder if there isn't still enough people using fountain pens that paper makers pretty much feel like they must have paper that works with fountain pens. Of course, it could also be that the paper makers just don't see any reason to change--it's easier or cheaper to just keep doing what they've always done.

Paper from Vietnam is something that seems to get mentioned a lot, although I've frankly had mixed experiences. One fairly cheap notebook really worked well. But one I'm using right now is only usable for my own personal use.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
At the moment I'm using Midori MD paper with my fountain pens, and I'm quite happy with that.
Leuchtturm and Rhodia work good as well, I think all three are about the same price.
In the near future, I plan on testing Clairefontaine and the famous Tomoe River.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Rhodia is my go to reference paper.

I have an A5 Midori notebook around here that I don't use too often but I do really like the paper. It's pleasantly "toothy" in such a way that it makes it a real pleasure to write on.

The last few years, my lecture notebooks have mostly been Mnemosyne spiral bound in the B5 size. I really like their paper-it's smoother than Midori but not quite Rhodia smooth. Best of all, though, for that application for me is that it's lightweight. I think-don't hold me to this-it's a 70gsm paper.

I know some people view lightweight papers as a downside(and I'm guessing a lot of those people have never used 52gsm Tomoe River). There are times where I like the feel/presence of a 90gsm or so paper(not much heavier or it starts feeling like card stock), particularly for a single sheet or a couple of sheets such as in a letter. At the same time, in a bound book, a light weight quality paper is a big selling point. That's especially true if your intent is to carry it around at the front of a classroom while also writing on a board for an hour or more-an A4 Rhodia pad starts to get heavy(although a lot of that is carrying something that large with one hand). I find the B5 size to be great for me too for that sort of task-A5 is too tall and skinny for my liking

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Rhodia is my go to reference paper.

I have an A5 Midori notebook around here that I don't use too often but I do really like the paper. It's pleasantly "toothy" in such a way that it makes it a real pleasure to write on.

The last few years, my lecture notebooks have mostly been Mnemosyne spiral bound in the B5 size. I really like their paper-it's smoother than Midori but not quite Rhodia smooth. Best of all, though, for that application for me is that it's lightweight. I think-don't hold me to this-it's a 70gsm paper.

I know some people view lightweight papers as a downside(and I'm guessing a lot of those people have never used 52gsm Tomoe River). There are times where I like the feel/presence of a 90gsm or so paper(not much heavier or it starts feeling like card stock), particularly for a single sheet or a couple of sheets such as in a letter. At the same time, in a bound book, a light weight quality paper is a big selling point. That's especially true if your intent is to carry it around at the front of a classroom while also writing on a board for an hour or more-an A4 Rhodia pad starts to get heavy(although a lot of that is carrying something that large with one hand). I find the B5 size to be great for me too for that sort of task-A5 is too tall and skinny for my liking
I could be wrong, but Rhodia notebooks are equipped with Clairefontaine paper (at least some of them).
Read a lot of good about the Mnemosyne paper.
About lightweight paper in general, my main concern would be ghosting and bleed through of fountain pen writing.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I could be wrong, but Rhodia notebooks are equipped with Clairefontaine paper (at least some of them).
Read a lot of good about the Mnemosyne paper.
About lightweight paper in general, my main concern would be ghosting and bleed through of fountain pen writing.
Clairefontaine and Rhodes are the same company, but their papers are distinctly different products.

The typical Rhodia dot pad(or other ruling) is 80gsm. There is a 90gsm Rhodia branded paper, but IMO it’s awful for FP use(it’s almost plasticy feeling). Clairefontaine Triomphe is also 90gsm but a wonderful paper.

The lightweight Japanese papers do sometimes ghost, but tend to be fairly bleed resistant, and that’s from someone who loves big wet writing B and larger nibs. If you would like I’m happy to show my 149 Italic Edge, which is somewhere in the range of 6B, on some of these papers.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Clairefontaine and Rhodes are the same company, but their papers are distinctly different products.

The typical Rhodia dot pad(or other ruling) is 80gsm. There is a 90gsm Rhodia branded paper, but IMO it’s awful for FP use(it’s almost plasticy feeling). Clairefontaine Triomphe is also 90gsm but a wonderful paper.

The lightweight Japanese papers do sometimes ghost, but tend to be fairly bleed resistant, and that’s from someone who loves big wet writing B and larger nibs. If you would like I’m happy to show my 149 Italic Edge, which is somewhere in the range of 6B, on some of these papers.
Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing !

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I've been using my Traveler's Company standard size notebook intensively for the past six years.
As my journal, notebook, composition book, sketchbook - you name it.
I added the Traveler's Company passport size two years ago as my notebook on-the-go and passport.

As much as I like the minimalistic concept of the folded leather, the elastics and the refills, I've always struggled with the fact that these books don't lay flat nor remain open. Yes you can use one or more clips, but they add bulk and are a hustle to clip on and off.
Over time I customized both covers by removing the tin medallion, moved the closing elastic from the back to the spline in order to avoid having bumps all over.
But still, in the end, I guess I've just about had it with the Traveler's notebooks.

So, for 2024, I decided to fundamentally replace my writing gear towards what I hope to be a more comfortable toolset - at least for longer writing sessions. I hope you'll enjoy the picture below.

- Harber London leather notebook cover A5
- Rhodia hardcover A5 Webnotebook as my journal
- Rhodia softcover A5 Composition book as my notebook
- Traveler's Company passport size notebook
- Lamy leather pen case (3 pce)
- Caran d'Ache Ecridor (I truly adore this pen)
- Lamy 2000, Caran d'Ache mechanical pencil 0.7, Caran d'Ache clutch pencil 2.0

EDC.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've been using my Traveler's Company standard size notebook intensively for the past six years.
As my journal, notebook, composition book, sketchbook - you name it.
I added the Traveler's Company passport size two years ago as my notebook on-the-go and passport.

As much as I like the minimalistic concept of the folded leather, the elastics and the refills, I've always struggled with the fact that these books don't lay flat nor remain open. Yes you can use one or more clips, but they add bulk and are a hustle to clip on and off.
Over time I customized both covers by removing the tin medallion, moved the closing elastic from the back to the spline in order to avoid having bumps all over.
But still, in the end, I guess I've just about had it with the Traveler's notebooks.

So, for 2024, I decided to fundamentally replace my writing gear towards what I hope to be a more comfortable toolset - at least for longer writing sessions. I hope you'll enjoy the picture below.

- Harber London leather notebook cover A5
- Rhodia hardcover A5 Webnotebook as my journal
- Rhodia softcover A5 Composition book as my notebook
- Traveler's Company passport size notebook
- Lamy leather pen case (3 pce)
- Caran d'Ache Ecridor (I truly adore this pen)
- Lamy 2000, Caran d'Ache mechanical pencil 0.7, Caran d'Ache clutch pencil 2.0

View attachment 2327806
That is terrific (and yes, I am enjoying the images you have shared with us).

Lovely selection.

My own would comprise mainly of Leuctturm1917 A5 notbooks (I love them, the quality of the paper, and the size, which combines sufficient space for proper note-taking with wonderful portability, whereas A4 is a lot less comfortable), some Rhodia notebooks of the same size (A5), and a small Moleskine diary.

American readers might wish to learn that I have found the quality of the paper of the notebooks (or journals) made by the US company Colonel Littleton (I have bought a briefcase and spectacle lanyards, among other purchases, from this company) to be excellent (or, to have been excellent), when writing with a fountain pen, and I strongly recommend them.

The reason I no longer buy them are import duties and shipping costs - I'm in the British Isles - and the fact that I can obtain Rhodia and Leuchtturm1917 notebooks and paper relatively easily.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
That is terrific (and yes, I am enjoying the images you have shared with us).

Lovely selection.

My own would comprise mainly of Leuctturm1917 A5 notbooks (I love them, the quality of the paper, and the size, which combines sufficient space for proper note-taking with wonderful portability, whereas A4 is a lot less comfortable), some Rhodia notebooks of the same size (A5), and a small Moleskine diary.

American readers might wish to learn that I have found the quality of the paper of the notebooks (or journals) made by the US company Colonel Littleton (I have bought a briefcase and spectacle lanyards, among other purchases, from this company) to be excellent (or, to have been excellent), when writing with a fountain pen, and I strongly recommend them.

The reason I no longer buy them are import duties - I'm in the British Isles - and the fact that I can obtain Rhodia and Leuchtturm1917 notebooks and paper relatively easily.

Many thanks for your nice comment, much appreciated !

While standing at the Leuchtturm1917 display in my stationary shop, I ultimately purchased the sketchbook instead - since I ordered the Rhodia Webby anyway.

Colonel Littleton looks like an interesting shop indeed, but -like you- the import duties and shipping costs would be too much for me.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I found out that a local store has Clairefontaine letter writing paper. I must be strong. I must resist. I must be strong...

I wish they had some interesting fountain pen ink so I could have something with a bit of flair for writing notes this time of year. Indeed, I've been struggling over whether to mail order some ink--part of me would like something nice, but another part of me notes the ink I have now is "good enough." It might be easier to sell myself on nicer ink if that store had some. Although I will say at least their basic ink selection was helpful when I needed ink, fast last winter.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I found out that a local store has Clairefontaine letter writing paper. I must be strong. I must resist. I must be strong...

I wish they had some interesting fountain pen ink so I could have something with a bit of flair for writing notes this time of year. Indeed, I've been struggling over whether to mail order some ink--part of me would like something nice, but another part of me notes the ink I have now is "good enough." It might be easier to sell myself on nicer ink if that store had some. Although I will say at least their basic ink selection was helpful when I needed ink, fast last winter.
Well, I'm not sure that I would be capable of resistance in such circumstances.

Actually, I had entirely forgotten about Clairefontaine paper when we were discussing quality writing paper; if memory serves, my recollection is that it is excellent.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
Oh, yes...the store also apparently has planners that are supposedly fountain pen friendly AND are attractively priced at a level I might actually spend. The drawback: they are academic year, so they are cheap because they are only good for half a year. Yet another temptation. Must be strong. Must resist. (Particularly since I really have no real need for a planner.)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh, yes...the store also apparently has planners that are supposedly fountain pen friendly AND are attractively priced at a level I might actually spend. The drawback: they are academic year, so they are cheap because they are only good for half a year. Yet another temptation. Must be strong. Must resist. (Particularly since I really have no real need for a planner.)
Remember the Borg?

Resistance is futile.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just arrived, new family member: the Caran d'Ache Fixpencil - Alfredo Häberli Limited Edition (see the Launch interview)

View attachment 2337527
Gorgeous.

Well wear.

Forgot to mention that last week-end, (last Friday, to be exact, 12th January), I belatedly purchased a diary (a paper diary, a small Moleskine 2024 diary), along with two of my favourite Leuchtturm1917 lined A5 notebooks.

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Gorgeous.

Well wear.

Forgot to mention that last week-end, (last Friday, to be exact, 12th January), I belatedly purchased a diary (a paper diary, a small Moleskine 2024 diary), along with two of my favourite Leuchtturm1917 lined A5 notebooks.
Thanks! Guess I found my new love in the Caran d'Ache products. Top quality and relatively affordable IMHO.
Congratulations on you purchase, good choice indeed. Enjoy the writing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.