Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Probably my favorite ink, just got me a fresh bottle.

IMG_2655.jpg

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Ah, wonderful.

Do enjoy.

What is special, or unique, about this particular ink?

Is the texture of the ink different, or is it a particular pleasure to write with?

In recent times, I've used Mont Blanc ink (and, earlier, in my student days, Parker ink).

Typically Iroshizuku inks are on the wetter side, which is why I like to pair them with a Fine nib.
I feel it somehow compensates for the rather thin line width.
As for the Tsuki-Yo in particular, I love the colour. A mixture of black, blue and green.

pilot-iroshizuku-tsuki-yo.jpg

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I am really curious to try Iroshizuku ink... There is so much praise for it. (Although I do amuse myself thinking that Iroshizuku is Japanese for "expensive ink" LOL)

What is special, or unique, about this particular ink?

Is the texture of the ink different, or is it a particular pleasure to write with?

I see positive comments about both the behavior of the ink when writing and the appearance on the page. Some colors are particularly liked. The appearance is what makes me curious--I was half thinking in December that Iroshizuku could add some flair to my Christmas card mailing. But in the end, I ended up sticking with my less exciting--but far cheaper per milliliter--Diamine ink.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I feel it somehow compensates for the rather thin line width
It makes sense, given that it seems that Japanese pens often seem to have finer nibs.

I'm using Pilot black in a Pilot fine nib pen (basically to get rid of a cartridge that came with a pen...). I don't really like black ink--I've always preferred blue, since my first fountain pen, in which I used blue Sheaffer Skrip--but it seem like that Pilot ink works well in that pen.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I am really curious to try Iroshizuku ink... There is so much praise for it. (Although I do amuse myself thinking that Iroshizuku is Japanese for "expensive ink" LOL)

I see positive comments about both the behavior of the ink when writing and the appearance on the page. Some colors are particularly liked. The appearance is what makes me curious--I was half thinking in December that Iroshizuku could add some flair to my Christmas card mailing. But in the end, I ended up sticking with my less exciting--but far cheaper per milliliter--Diamine ink.
I agree, it's a rather expensive ink. As are many of the Japanese stationary products, I'm afraid.
But in general, you get high quality.
To enjoy writing with a fountain pen, I think you need a good pen, good ink and good paper. Which is why I often lean towards Japanese brands.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
It makes sense, given that it seems that Japanese pens often seem to have finer nibs.

I'm using Pilot black in a Pilot fine nib pen (basically to get rid of a cartridge that came with a pen...). I don't really like black ink--I've always preferred blue, since my first fountain pen, in which I used blue Sheaffer Skrip--but it seem like that Pilot ink works well in that pen.
Black is a somewhat save choice but indeed, there are so many others out there to enjoy.
I recently emptied a Diamine Damson (very dark purple and gray mix).

Reactions: WriteNow

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
To enjoy writing with a fountain pen, I think you need a good pen, good ink and good paper.
+1. And don’t forget: writing with a fountain pen in 2023 is superfluous. If you like it, enjoy it and baby your passion with good products (pens, inks and papers) ☺️

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
+1. And don’t forget: writing with a fountain pen in 2023 is superfluous.
No, it is not superfluous.

One can use modern tech, and one can write with pen and ink; the one does not - or need not - exclude the other.
If you like it, enjoy it and baby your passion with good products (pens, inks and papers) ☺️
Absolutely agreed.

Reactions: WriteNow

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It’s superflous:
Your opinion, not mine.

a 30 cent ballpoint pen is enough to write with ink and paper 😉

Some of us don't much care for (the feel) of writing with a ballpoint pen; I've been writing with a fountain pen since I was in school, and like the physical experience of writing with a good quality pen, on good quality paper.

Reactions: xodh and WriteNow

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
It’s superflous: a 30 cent ballpoint pen is enough to write with ink and paper 😉
"Enough" may be the key word here. But I just want more than enough :p
While I do use a rollerball or a felt tip occasionally (for drawing), a ballpoint does turn me off because it needs more pressure, is less responsive and often leaves a poor quality line.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Your opinion, not mine.

Don’t misunderstand me: I’ve got at least 10 fountain pens each ones with its inks 😅 and I hate the fatigue that I feel writing more than two words with a ballpoint 😂 I’m just saying that in the rest of the world, the one that is outside us (fountain pens lovers), still don’t understand why we are paying 30€ for a bottle of ink or 300-1000 or more € for a fountain pen ☺️

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Don’t misunderstand me: I’ve got at least 10 fountain pens each ones with its inks 😅 and I hate the fatigue that I feel writing more than two words with a ballpoint 😂
Fair enough.
I’m just saying that in the rest of the world, the one that is outside us (fountain pens lovers), still don’t understand why we are paying 30€ for a bottle of ink or 300-1000 or more € for a fountain pen ☺️
Well, each to their own.

In the past, I have had - and enjoyed - fountain pens made by (among others) Papermate, Cross, Caran d'Ache, and various others, but not Parker, as I found their pens too large and heavy to hold comfortably.

Over the past decade and a half, I have written with Mont Blanc Meisterstuck fountain pens, (and one Mont Blanc ballpoint pen) and these days, this is all I write with.

I love how I feel when I write, that these pens are an extension of my wrist when I write with them, the ease and comfort with which I write when using them, the way the ink glides easily over the page, and the wonderful lack of fatigue despite writing - sometimes - for hours on end.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I'm reaching the point where I don't want to seriously use any other kind of pen. Fountain pens are more comfortable--a fact I notice each time I try using anything else. I've even started using a fountain pen for crossword puzzles. My only real use for a ballpoint recently was addressing an envelope. I am tempted to have a fountain pen with waterproof (or at least very water resitant) ink for such uses, but it's probably not worth it, given how infrequently I address envelopes.

I rcently got a Uni-bal roller ball for the princely sum of ten cents (thrift shop find) to play with. I've used it enough to understand why people like these, but I much prefer a fountain pen.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
While I like both black ink and blue ink, I find that I also really like writing with blue/black ink, a sort of very dark blue ink.
Blue/black might be a good choice for those days you can't decide between blue and black!

I personally prefer blue, but at some point want to try iron gall blue/black. I'd be fascinated watching the color shift after writing that gets reported.

I had some blue/black cartridges from Cross. (Dye based, I'm sure.) The ink worked fine, but it seemed more black to me.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
I’m just saying that in the rest of the world, the one that is outside us (fountain pens lovers), still don’t understand why we are paying 30€ for a bottle of ink or 300-1000 or more € for a fountain pen ☺️
Pricing is probably one thing that repels many away from fountain pens. Although there are affordable pens and inks that are decent. A cheap Pilot pen with cheap Pilot ink is affordable. And for the right person, it would be preferable to cheap ballpoints/gel/roller ball pens.

But there are other factors that could repel the modern person, such as pen maintenance.

And then so many are conditioned to think that pens are a cheap, disposable commodity.

Reactions: stanza.richi

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Pricing is probably one thing that repels many away from fountain pens. Although there are affordable pens and inks that are decent. A cheap Pilot pen with cheap Pilot ink is affordable. And for the right person, it would be preferable to cheap ballpoints/gel/roller ball pens.

But there are other factors that could repel the modern person, such as pen maintenance.

And then so many are conditioned to think that pens are a cheap, disposable commodity.
Nowadays, many people seem to fill their (limited) need for writing with their smartphone. Think appointments, grocery list, tasks, reminders etc. So why on earth would they even consider a writing instrument, let alone a fountain pen?

And I would count myself among these people - if it weren't for the fact that I keep a daily journal and a commonplace book, mostly as an incentive to pick up my pens. My guess is, one has to be intentional enough to do any kind of (serious) handwriting. As it turns out, not too many people are - but that's perfectly OK.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Leaving aside "serious" writing, (for professional reasons, or for reasons of personal pleasure), whenever I wish to prepare something as mundane as a list - a to-do list, a grocery list, tasks, reminders, or a mix of the aforementioned - I will invariably write in by hand (and usually on a yellow post-it with a fountain pen).

To my mind, there is something that I find to be immensely enjoyable physically in constructing such a list (by hand) and crossing out each item as you have dealt with it.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Leaving aside "serious" writing, (for professional reasons, or for reasons of personal pleasure), whenever I wish to prepare something as mundane as a list - a to-do list, a grocery list, tasks, reminders, or a mix of the aforementioned - I will invariably write in by hand (and usually on a yellow post-it with a fountain pen).

To my mind, there is something that I find to be immensely enjoyable physically in constructing such a list (by hand) and crossing out each item as you have dealt with it.
Really? I always found the post-it paper to be not absorbent enough.
I'm using an A6 "reporter" notepad instead (I got a lot of them for free, when I was still an architect ;))

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Really? I always found the post-it paper to be not absorbent enough.
Well, I have to wait for the ink to dry, but I find it extraordinarily satisfying to write one out, fold it into a pocket, cross out the various entries as they have been attended to, (and compose a fresh list, if necessary).

I'm using an A6 "reporter" notepad instead (I got a lot of them for free, when I was still an architect ;))
My A5 notebooks (Leuchtturm1917) are perfect for note-taking - perfect in size and in the superb quality of the paper - but too large for ordinary errands.

Mind you, there is also my lovely (paper) Moleskine diary, which I find most useful, and is a pleasure to write on, as the quality of the paper is excellent.

And yes, I regularly write in it, - and not just for appointments, necessary notes, reminders, contact details, personal details, some passwords, etc.

Reactions: GerritV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.