Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
All choices above are great, but just in case, some of the cameras told above are reviewed in here:
Good listings. I was considering the Sony a6000. I found a pre-owned body only for around $350 w/1-year warranty. Then purchase lens of choice and have a good low priced walk-about setup.

No tilting screen, does have an EVF

Last edited:
Reactions: katbel

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Beyond wanting a larger sensor size, what are you looking for. If you are trying to keep it compact your choices are a bit limited. If you don't mind a bigger foot print then things really open up, including interchangeable lenses.

I can tell you the Lumix ZS 200 has a very limited aperture range, so if you are looking to expand or contract the field of focus your main weapon with that camera is varying the focal length. Nor does that camera have a tiltable display. I like this camera but I suspect you should be looking in a different direction.

In the Lumix line you might look at this one, which uses the 4/3rds sensor. If you are looking for long telephoto that of course would mean a second lens.
Yes, the G95 is priced really well right now, just dropped to $700 this very day, and the kit lens is actually really good. Weather resistant, checks the box on the articulated screen, has an EVF. Sticking with Panasonic might help OP with the learning curve as well. The G95 is built well and is a decent place to start. Lenses for M43 are pretty light and many are quite budget-friendly as well. Another great M43 body in OP’s range is the OMD E-M5 mk III with either the wonderful 12-45 lens, or the 14-150ii. That camera is as light as a feather and quite compact.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
What do you shoot now, and other than aperture range, where do you feel you are lacking? Like what photos are frustrating to you? Aperture is obviously important, but you can make do with a slower lens on a larger sensor, because larger sensors handle higher ISOs better.

Do you currently shoot in manual mode? If not, is that something you are wanting to learn? Or do you want a camera with auto mode also, or primarily?
I like the manual mode, but I don't use it too often because of the frustration of the hardware and what I would like to do combined.
Sure enough I have to learn A LOT
Nikon has a steal on the Z50 two lens kit, although the lenses might not be fast enough. You could go body only and get the 40mm 2.0 pancake lens if you don't mind a fixed focal length. So another question, what kind of zoom range?

The Z50 would probably be a great size for you, coming from a bridge camera. I agree with going to mirrorless over dSLR, just because the tech and industry are moving that way, regardless of what brand you ultimately choose.

I like the Nikon Z50 you are suggesting, it has many of the features I'm looking to improve plus the two lens kits

You might want to take a look at Sony's line of APS-C mirrorless cameras as opposed to the full-frame sensor cameras. I think the price tags are lower on the APS-C ones. Also, if one decides to make the shift later from APS-C to FF, Sony uses the E mount for both types of camera, which can be advantageous. They still do also designate some specifically as "FE" for the full-frame Sony bodies, but there is definitely flexibility overall.
Need to learn the difference between APS-C and full frame sensor cameras
At this point in time, DSLRs are really not the bodies and lenses moving forward. ....Good luck! This is not an easy decision, as many of us here can attest!
DSLRs are off, after reading here.

The Panasonic G95 was already on my list but now I need to check the Sony and Nikon
Meanwhile :

Thanks to all of you for the detailed informations that will help me reflect on what you wrote and read on this thread.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If you were satisfied with the Panasonic way of doing things when you first got your camera, I would suggest the Panasonic G85 or G95 dual lens kits, which should be about US$999 right now.

If you're willing to go with an older, used model, you might like the GX8, which a rangefinder-like body with a tilting viewfinder and weather-sealing.

If you're willing to go to another brand, Pentax offers the best values at the lower end of their dSLR range and includes weather-sealing. Sony and Fujifilm are good brands but they end up expensive.

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Call KEH and talk to them. They are a good used dealer and could fit you out with something that wouldn’t break your budget. And have fun!

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I like the manual mode, but I don't use it too often because of the frustration of the hardware and what I would like to do combined.
Sure enough I have to learn A LOT

I like the Nikon Z50 you are suggesting, it has many of the features I'm looking to improve plus the two lens kits

Need to learn the difference between APS-C and full frame sensor cameras

DSLRs are off, after reading here.

The Panasonic G95 was already on my list but now I need to check the Sony and Nikon
Meanwhile :

Thanks to all of you for the detailed informations that will help me reflect on what you wrote and read on this thread.
You basically have 3 contenders with the sensors. Increasing in size, you have M43, APS-C, and Full Frame. All 3 of these sensors will be considerably bigger than what is in the camera you are retiring.

For interchangeable lens systems, each body manufacturer uses a specific lens mount—that is, you have to buy lenses specifically built for that mount. Yes, adapted lenses are possible, but I wouldn’t recommend that starting from scratch. The point is, something to very seriously consider when getting an ILC is the cost of lenses for that mount. It can get really expensive to grow your lens lineup, depending on what you chose. There are certainly cheap lenses in every mount, but that doesn’t mean they are great lenses to buy!

Reactions: katbel and KurtMann

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
This site provides a very useful chart and information:

Digital-Camera-Sensor-Size-Comparison-Chart.jpg.webp

• Love

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
I have a Nikon Z6 and like it a lot. I think it's a logical camera, great ergo, and fantastical lenses. But today it's not easy choosing a system. If you want mirrorless, Sony probably has the most lenses to choose from; Canon is THE biggest camera maker by a large margin, Canon is never wrong. I like Fuji a lot as a company, they support their cameras for several years. There is a lot of right answers to this question.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Although it doesn't show it on the chart, most P&S cameras are the 1/2" size or so, and some bridge cameras are as well. A few higher-end P&S (enthusiasts' compacts) are 1" and so are some bridge cameras. For instance, the Sony RX100 series of enthusiasts' compact cameras (a little too large to really be called a pocket camera and a little too sophisticated to be considered a mere P&S) are 1" and so are the bridge cameras in Sony's larger RX10 line.

There are also compact cameras which are actually APS-C or full-frame -- not too many out there, but a few.....

ILC (interchangeable lens cameras) come in DSLR, m4/3 and mirrorless flavors. Lenses usually range in focal length from around 10mm (very, very wide-angle and into "fisheye" territory) to 800mm -- the big, expensive bazookas, with everything in between. Prime lenses are one focal length, whereas zoom lenses are multi-focal length.

35mm is a very popular focal length, as is the "nifty 50," and both are often used as "standard" lenses. Everyone has his or her own preferences in focal lengths but sometimes it takes a while to figure out just what one really does love to shoot and towards which focal lengths and range the photographer tends to go, time after time. Of course certain types of shooting rather dictate the focal length and type of lenses one chooses, too. A wildlife shooter is going to go for that long 600mm or 800mm bazooka while a street photographer might prefer to stick with 35mm or even wider. Someone who really likes to get up close and personal with his or her subjects is going to want a dedicated macro lens. If one does a lot of shooting indoors and/or under low light conditions a "fast" lens (f/0.95, f/1.2, f/1.4, f/1.8) fits the bill. f/2.8 is considered the "standard' speed, so to speak, for lenses: not too fast, not too slow.

An advantage of purchasing and using a zoom lens is that one can get several focal lengths all in one without needing to change the lens, but the price one pays for this is that often a zoom lens is variable in its speed, rather than, say, being a constant f/2.8 throughout its ranges. Usually those speeds are fairly slow, too, which really doesn't matter much in good lighting but can be a hindrance if one needs to shoot in low light conditions. Often "kit" lenses will have smaller apertures (slower) and be variable, which makes them less expensive. These often come bundled, either one or even two lenses, with camera bodies meant for the beginner or the consumer. Many experienced photographers prefer to purchase their cameras as "body-only," and then they select the lens(es) that they want to buy and use with it. In the long run this can save a person some money, as they can choose a higher-quality lens or two right from the get-go and not have to mess with "kit" lenses at all.

Thankfully these days there has been much improvement in ISO so that we can often shoot at much higher ISO levels than we ever could have dreamed of with film or even when digital photography was first coming into its own. That helps significantly, especially when shooting in natural light, low light, etc. Even at that, though, it is still considered best to keep the ISO as low as possible in order to get the best resolution from one's camera and lens and to avoid "noise" (which is similar to, but not identical to, what in the terminology of the film days, we called "grain").

In one's reading they may run across the term "holy trinity" when applied to lenses, and the major camera manufacturers indeed do each offer their own variation of this. For instance, Sony's previous "holy trinity" consists of the 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, the 24-70mm f/2.8 GM and the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM. However, now Sony is in the midst of revamping this by updating their lenses, so as of now the newest "holy trinity" includes the 12-24mm f/2.8 GM, the 24-70mm f/2.8mm GM and the 70-200mm f/2.8mm GM. The 12-24mm is a new lens released early in 2021, and Sony has just released their new version of the 70-200mm GM, so it's a no-brainer to assume that the 24-70mm GM will be coming along sooner rather than later as well.

From my Nikon days if I recall correctly the "holy trinity" (DSLR lenses) is 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8. Not sure if they've got all of these now covered in their mirrorless line yet or not. I've never used Canon, never bought any of their lenses so am unfamiliar with their offerings but I can guess that they, too, present the same range in a "holy trinity" of zooms.

An advantage of having a "holy trinity" of zoom lenses is, of course, that it covers the entire range from the widest lens in the set to a telephoto. Some people like to have the "holy trinity" and then also build around that with prime lenses. Others find that they don't really need or want some of the focal lengths so skip one or more of the components of the "holy trinity." Some users prefer all prime lenses and so create their own "holy trinity" of those instead.

Last edited:

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
The Panasonic GX8 does look interesting. And there is the GX9 - I was considering this one, had a GX85 previous (was built like a mini tank) - though I didn't want to change to the 4:3 image format from how I currently shoot.

If you want to check it out (as all the cool kids say) here is a review link. I have seen the camera with kit lens (3.5-5.6 aperture) for ~ 797 new.

LenticularTapir

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2020
Just echoing the suggestion of getting the twin-lens Nikon Z50 kit.

It gives you a lot of zoom range in a very portable package, with the caveat that there are no affordable ultra-wide angle (e.g. 12-16mm range) or fast portrait (35mm f/1.8) native DX Z-mount lenses - which would be the next lenses a beginner would add to their collection.

Instead of writing a major wall of text, just know that if you find the equivalent 24-375mm range from the kit sufficient, it's an excellent buy. If you want more, it's going to cost you a fair bit of money because... reasons.

Nikon hasn't built up their selection of DX-sized Z-mount lenses to the level of their competitors' APS-C or m43 lenses. The irony is that if you don't understand what any of this means, then the Z50 twin-lens kit is probably right for you.

Reactions: katbel and mollyc

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
The Panasonic GX8 does look interesting. And there is the GX9 - I was considering this one, had a GX85 previous (was built like a mini tank) - though I didn't want to change to the 4:3 image format from how I currently shoot.

If you want to check it out (as all the cool kids say) here is a review link. I have seen the camera with kit lens (3.5-5.6 aperture) for ~ 797 new.

I tried the GX9 and didn’t like the EVF implementation. It wasn’t that it tilted (that was actually cool), but I could see the RGB cycling when I moved a little bit, which was rather distracting. It’s also odd that Panasonic paired it with the 12-60, which is kinda large for the body. The 12-32 is actually a pretty capable pancake, so I’m surprised they didn’t go with that lens as the kit.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I tried the GX9 and didn’t like the EVF implementation. It wasn’t that it tilted (that was actually cool), but I could see the RGB cycling when I moved a little bit, which was rather distracting. It’s also odd that Panasonic paired it with the 12-60, which is kinda large for the body. The 12-32 is actually a pretty capable pancake, so I’m surprised they didn’t go with that lens as the kit.
The GX85 I had came with the 12-32, nice compact lens

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Good listings. I was considering the Sony a6000. I found a pre-owned body only for around $350 w/1-year warranty. Then purchase lens of choice and have a good low priced walk-about setup.

No tilting screen, does have an EVF
The price is good in Canada too, but it charges via USB and it’s 2014…
Probably you could buy a charger

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
You basically have 3 contenders with the sensors. Increasing in size, you have M43, APS-C, and Full Frame. All 3 of these sensors will be considerably bigger than what is in the camera you are retiring.

For interchangeable lens systems, each body manufacturer uses a specific lens mount—that is, you have to buy lenses specifically built for that mount. Yes, adapted lenses are possible, but I wouldn’t recommend that starting from scratch. The point is, something to very seriously consider when getting an ILC is the cost of lenses for that mount. It can get really expensive to grow your lens lineup, depending on what you chose. There are certainly cheap lenses in every mount, but that doesn’t mean they are great lenses to buy!
Good thoughts to keep in mind , thanks.
Tomorrow I’m going out with a friend who has experience and a mirrorless Olympus to see how it works.
After I will compare all the pro and cons and make a trip to a shop and try few of the cameras mentioned in this thread . Hopefully it will be sunny, still raining today: we got ~150 mm in the last days.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The price is good in Canada too, but it charges via USB and it’s 2014…
Probably you could buy a charger

One thing I would STRONGLY urge is that, regardless of which brand or type of camera you purchase, rather than charging the battery while it is in the camera, buy a separate external charger and use that instead. (I think these days only the high-end camera bodies seem to come with an external charger included in the box, which is too bad, really.). This then makes it easy and convenient to use a second battery in the camera and continue shooting while the other battery is charging. You'll want a second battery anyway, as well as a spare memory card or two as accessories.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
One thing I would STRONGLY urge is that, regardless of which brand or type of camera you purchase, rather than charging the battery while it is in the camera, buy a separate external charger and use that instead. (I think these days only the high-end camera bodies seem to come with an external charger included in the box, which is too bad, really.). This then makes it easy and convenient to use a second battery in the camera and continue shooting while the other battery is charging. You'll want a second battery anyway, as well as a spare memory card or two as accessories.
Plus if you are travelling would you leave your camera to charge in an hotel room?! Beside you need your camera with you. Always had two batteries , two memory cards anyway.

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
No, I never leave the camera in the hotel room. I have the camera and extra batteries and memory cards with me while out-and-about, and do the battery charging later when I'm back in the room for a while. I also travel with at least one external SSD and my memory card reader, and one of the projects at the end of the day is to unload all the images from the memory cards to the computer and to the external SSD as backups. If I've got enough memory cards with me, and I usually do, I also leave the images on the memory card as well and use fresh cards to record the next day's adventures. Much depends, of course, on what type of trip I'm taking -- some trips just the RX100 VII is fine and other trips I've taken the RX10 IV.

I haven't traveled in two years, though, now, thanks to COVID-19, so neither the A7R IV or the A1 has gone on any exciting adventures yet outside of my local area. I am planning a brief weekend trip in December, but it's not photography-related. That time I'll just take the small RX100 VII as I know I won't be doing much shooting. At some point in the spring I'd like to take a trip where the primary focus will be photography, and for that I'd have all or most of the gear along.

Reactions: someoldguy

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
No, I never leave the camera in the hotel room. I have the camera and extra batteries and memory cards with me while out-and-about, and do the battery charging later when I'm back in the room for a while. I also travel with at least one external SSD and my memory card reader, and one of the projects at the end of the day is to unload all the images from the memory cards to the computer and to the external SSD as backups. If I've got enough memory cards with me, and I usually do, I also leave the images on the memory card as well and use fresh cards to record the next day's adventures. Much depends, of course, on what type of trip I'm taking -- some trips just the RX100 VII is fine and other trips I've taken the RX10 IV.

I haven't traveled in two years, though, now, thanks to COVID-19, so neither the A7R IV or the A1 has gone on any exciting adventures yet outside of my local area. I am planning a brief weekend trip in December, but it's not photography-related. That time I'll just take the small RX100 VII as I know I won't be doing much shooting. At some point in the spring I'd like to take a trip where the primary focus will be photography, and for that I'd have all or most of the gear along.
Didn't either, but I had some interesting one day trip around here , in BC.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since the Pandemic started and even though now I have been vaccinated -- two Moderna injections plus the Moderna booster -- I am still leery of going downtown to DC and wandering around. I've only done a few local excursions to nearby botanical gardens in my suburban area.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Still waiting for the booster

Nikon doesn't have the 4:3, checked even other models
Only 1:1, 3:2, 16:9
Is it something important or post cropping will help?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Good thoughts to keep in mind , thanks.
Tomorrow I’m going out with a friend who has experience and a mirrorless Olympus to see how it works.
After I will compare all the pro and cons and make a trip to a shop and try few of the cameras mentioned in this thread . Hopefully it will be sunny, still raining today: we got ~150 mm in the last days.
I’ve shot with both Panasonic and Olympus extensively. Both are great, and many love the “Olympus warmth” in their JPGs, and swear by their weather sealing. I remember reading one guy who had his EM1X fall off a rock into the ocean, and he just rinsed it off with bottled water and kept going.

Panasonic is where I tend to land, largely because the G9 has such a good EVF. The EM5.3 is packed with features for its size and weight though.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

If you want to learn to be a better manual mode photographer, the Z50 is an excellent camera to do that with. It has more manual controls than you would normally find in an entry level camera. It has dedicated dials for aperture and shutter control with a number of accessory buttons you can program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.