Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Still waiting for the booster

Nikon doesn't have the 4:3, checked even other models
Only 1:1, 3:2, 16:9
Is it something important or post cropping will help?

I don't know about Nikon's aspect ratios, but Sony camera bodies offer 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1. I tend not to mess with that in the camera, and instead wait until I'm in an editing program to decide about cropping an image or changing the aspect ratio.

Reactions: katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Still waiting for the booster

Nikon doesn't have the 4:3, checked even other models
Only 1:1, 3:2, 16:9
Is it something important or post cropping will help?
I'm not sure if this was a general question or a reply to someone else, but the native ratio of crop (the Z50) and full frame sensors is 3:2; these mimic the film size of 35mm. (A crop body is the same ratio, but more "zoomed in.")

I would always shoot at the native ratio to whatever sensor you are using so that you get the largest amount of photo pixels available, then crop in post if you want something different for some other reason. 3:2 is also (unsurprisingly) the same ratio as a typical 4x6 print.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Since the Pandemic started and even though now I have been vaccinated -- two Moderna injections plus the Moderna booster -- I am still leery of going downtown to DC and wandering around. I've only done a few local excursions to nearby botanical gardens in my suburban area.
I got Vaxed and Boosted - I venture out with a mask, even on streets when passing people.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I don't know about Nikon's aspect ratios, but Sony camera bodies offer 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1. I tend not to mess with that in the camera, and instead wait until I'm in an editing program to decide about cropping an image or changing the aspect ratio.
My understanding is the raw file is full image, even if you change the aspect in-camera.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I got Vaxed and Boosted - I venture out with a mask, even on streets when passing people.

I've started to venture out to shoot photos in public again.

About the only time I don't wear a mask when I leave the house these days is when I go running. Even when I don't think I'll run into a situation when I'll need one, I'll just have it on because it's just so awkward to abruptly put one on when you should. If it's already on, I just carry on as I would have.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
My response was in one's hesitation to use in-camera crop - since that can be readjusted in post as a raw file. There was no reference to jpegs - which are locked into the in-camera aspect ratio.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Today, after long reading this thread and more and more
I made my decision after trying out the two finalists, Nikon Z50 and Sony A6400.
I had the blessing for extra $ from my husband - end of the month is my birthday..and Xtmas is not too far away.

Sony A6400 is the one I got. Smoother to play with it, more lenses to choose from, included from Sigma in case.
It came with 50mm and 210 mm lenses. I'm thinking to get -further down the road- a pancake lens.

Thanks for all your precious comments!

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Today, after long reading this thread and more and more
I made my decision after trying out the two finalists, Nikon Z50 and Sony A6400.
I had the blessing for extra $ from my husband - end of the month is my birthday..and Xtmas is not too far away.

Sony A6400 is the one I got. Smoother to play with it, more lenses to choose from, included from Sigma in case.
It came with 50mm and 210 mm lenses. I'm thinking to get -further down the road- a pancake lens.

Thanks for all your precious comments!
+1 pancake lens. A new toy to play with

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Congratulations, Katbel! I'm glad that you considered everything carefully and then tried out the two camera bodies in which you were most interested and made your decision based on what felt right to you, works best for you, has the most to offer in terms of lenses both now and in the future for you.

A wide-angle pancake lens will be the icing on the cake at some point when you're ready to purchase that!

Image quality should be terrific with this camera -- it is something that I began to appreciate long ago with Sony as far back as the NEX-7. Sony makes or has made sensors for many other brands, so, yeah, they've always been on top of things with regard to that.

Have fun with your new camera -- a wonderful birthday and Christmas gift combined!

Last edited:
  • Love

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Both of those are great cameras. A friend of mine had an A7 and an A6100. He ended up selling his A7 because he didn't feel the extra capability justified the cost for his needs.

It's really hard to get a bad digital camera these days. They're all pretty damn amazing.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
You could buy the pancake pre-owned. KEH, MPB, Roberts Camera could be sources
Thanks for the tip. I need to find it in Canada though and with the latest disasters to order anything from the States could be very costly and a long waiting time.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Yeah, used lenses can really be a good option to save money. Most of those sites offer a no-questions-asked return policy, so they at least give you some time to put a lens through the paces.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure it will work out nicely for you!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, used lenses can really be a good option to save money. Most of those sites offer a no-questions-asked return policy, so they at least give you some time to put a lens through the paces.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure it will work out nicely for you!
Thanks ☺️
Need to study it first, but it’s the best exciting thing in some time,
beside discovering the MacRumors digital photography thread ?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Best thing to do is to just get out there and shoot. Experiment. Shoot stuff you've shot before that is familiar to you, shoot something new and different, play with the different settings in the camera, swap lenses to get the different perspectives and angles of view, etc., etc.

What editing program do you use, or will you be looking at to use? This is also an important component of the whole digital imagining process these days. Another whole learning curve, too, and skill set to develop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.