Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Reactions: Aneres11

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
On our snow day we went sledding in the evening after the winds died down and I took the Pixel 2, aptly named Snowball, out with me.

I was shocked it held to WiFi out in the field next to my house. I ended up receiving and responding to texts from a teacher who was trying to coordinate work and events that had to be postponed. Being a snow day, I wasn’t expecting to hear from teachers, let alone in the evening, but to my surprise my sim-less Pixel beeped a notification and I was able to respond out in a field with no cell connectivity and beyond what I thought the range of our WiFi would be.

Anyway, so much for me thinking I could get away from it all merely by taking the phone that is currently without a sim. I also chose it because it now is my most rugged and pocket friendly phone.

And of course I can never resist AR Stickers

CD45D985-1BC5-4E2C-B4D7-29A3581F18EB.jpeg

B80ABD93-B00F-4F74-9122-37B700BB113C.jpeg

The video I took of them is even better. They somehow manage to appear to interact with each other and possibly even the people in the scene. And in video their edges blend into the surroundings less starkly. At one point in a different scene the stormtrooper appears to be directing one of the kids going down the hill. In that one I had the stickers scaled to their surroundings better. I still tend to mess up the scale a lot.

I’m afraid I never get tired of doing a few Sticker photos and videos. :D

I guess the photos produced using the stickers are low file size because I can always get these up onto the forum without cropping them.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I've made it over a week with my Pixel and I couldn't be happier. My iPhone battery died a few days ago. I picked it up a few times over the past week but didn't really feel the need to use it. Time to get my Apple Care plus refund and put my phone up on Swappa. This is great!

Side note: My 3rd Pixel is on the way to me. 1st I returned in order to get a better promotion ($200 off). Second one came with some weird square printed on the back so Google is swapping it out. Their customer service has been great by the way.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I've made it over a week with my Pixel and I couldn't be happier. My iPhone battery died a few days ago. I picked it up a few times over the past week but didn't really feel the need to use it. Time to get my Apple Care plus refund and put my phone up on Swappa. This is great!

Side note: My 3rd Pixel is on the way to me. 1st I returned in order to get a better promotion ($200 off). Second one came with some weird square printed on the back so Google is swapping it out. Their customer service has been great by the way.

I fired up my iPhone X last night and so far I'm not impressed. It's a nice phone. But it's not worth what I paid for it. I'm taking it to Disney this week and think I may snag an XL on that deal with Google while I still can.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I fired up my iPhone X last night and so far I'm not impressed. It's a nice phone. But it's not worth what I paid for it. I'm taking it to Disney this week and think I may snag an XL on that deal with Google while I still can.

I agree that the iPhone 10 is really nice but I'm really enjoying the stock Android software and the flexibility that it gives me with notifications and multitasking Etc. It wasn't a deciding factor to save $550 versus the X but it sure does put the icing on the cake.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I agree that the iPhone 10 is really nice but I'm really enjoying the stock Android software and the flexibility that it gives me with notifications and multitasking Etc. It wasn't a deciding factor to save $550 versus the X but it sure does put the icing on the cake.

The X is nice. But it isn't $1400 after AppleCare Plus nice. Especially when I can get a Pixel 2 XL and a Pixelbook for barely more than that.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The X is nice. But it isn't $1400 after AppleCare Plus nice. Especially when I can get a Pixel 2 XL and a Pixelbook for barely more than that.
That was my issue with the X as well. I thought it was very nice but at the time opportunities to get two great phones (iPhone 8 Plus and Pixel 2) for roughly the same cost as the X with Apple Care 2 won out. Plus I struggled with eye strain on the display. I also just prefer touch ID type biometrics.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
That was my issue with the X as well. I thought it was very nice but at the time opportunities to get two great phones (iPhone 8 Plus and Pixel 2) for roughly the same cost as the X with Apple Care 2 won out. Plus I struggled with eye strain on the display. I also just prefer touch ID type biometrics.

I actually really like Face ID as long as it works. It allows me to completely delete the Apple keyboard (except for passwords). And basically my phone is always unlocked. But I would like to have Touch ID too. I do like the X. Just don't know if it's worth the money. I can get a refund on AC+ and get a good chunk of my money back on the phone. And then get a Pixel and some other stuff for the same price as just this phone.

I'm headed to Disney now, so we'll see how it goes over the next week, if it'll last and be my daily. Or if it goes up on Swappa.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I actually really like Face ID as long as it works. It allows me to completely delete the Apple keyboard (except for passwords). And basically my phone is always unlocked. But I would like to have Touch ID too. I do like the X. Just don't know if it's worth the money. I can get a refund on AC+ and get a good chunk of my money back on the phone. And then get a Pixel and some other stuff for the same price as just this phone.

I'm headed to Disney now, so we'll see how it goes over the next week, if it'll last and be my daily. Or if it goes up on Swappa.
Have a great time at Disney! I've never been to either Disneyland or Disney World and my daughter complains regularly we are the only family in her whole school that's never been.

I hope all goes well with your trip and your pics!

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Have a great time at Disney! I've never been to either Disneyland or Disney World and my daughter complains regularly we are the only family in her whole school that's never been.

I hope all goes well with your trip and your pics!

Thanks! We're regulars-ish. Go every couple of years. It's a nice little drive from Illinois!

Another thing about Android - you can use Waze on Android Auto. Man this thing is handy for driving. Although we aren't using it on AA right now. Just on the phone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
On our snow day we went sledding in the evening after the winds died down and I took the Pixel 2, aptly named Snowball, out with me.

I was shocked it held to WiFi out in the field next to my house. I ended up receiving and responding to texts from a teacher who was trying to coordinate work and events that had to be postponed. Being a snow day, I wasn’t expecting to hear from teachers, let alone in the evening, but to my surprise my sim-less Pixel beeped a notification and I was able to respond out in a field with no cell connectivity and beyond what I thought the range of our WiFi would be.

Anyway, so much for me thinking I could get away from it all merely by taking the phone that is currently without a sim. I also chose it because it now is my most rugged and pocket friendly phone.

And of course I can never resist AR Stickers

View attachment 755395

View attachment 755396

The video I took of them is even better. They somehow manage to appear to interact with each other and possibly even the people in the scene. And in video their edges blend into the surroundings less starkly. At one point in a different scene the stormtrooper appears to be directing one of the kids going down the hill. In that one I had the stickers scaled to their surroundings better. I still tend to mess up the scale a lot.

I’m afraid I never get tired of doing a few Sticker photos and videos. :D

I guess the photos produced using the stickers are low file size because I can always get these up onto the forum without cropping them.

Agree with the video looking especially impressive!

I took this and posted it to Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgd8oM3n-HQ/?taken-by=jesaltv

People started messaging me thinking it was actually real. They couldn't tell the difference!!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Put the iPhone X up for sale on Swappa and get a refund on the Apple Care+. Save the $ because the Pixel will get you a similar experience w/o the higher sticker price Apple charged on the X. Recoup something. Enjoy your trip and be safe.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Plopped my XL 2 on the charger this morning to top it off from the 70s while I took a shower, came back about 20min later and it's only at 76% with over an hour and 15 left to charge?!

This is fast charging?!

Why did this start with this replacement phone? I've done nothing to this phone or charger or outlet.

Such a disappointing unreliable expensive device at times. Just like the rest of them I've had...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Plopped my XL 2 on the charger this morning to top it off from the 70s while I took a shower, came back about 20min later and it's only at 76% with over an hour and 15 left to charge?!

This is fast charging?!

Why did this start with this replacement phone? I've done nothing to this phone or charger or outlet.

Such a disappointing unreliable expensive device at times. Just like the rest of them I've had...
I swear there’s a device flu going around. My daughter’s iPad is doing the same thing. I’m going to have to do some troubleshooting. We adults in the house have the flu again and my husband has let it be known dad is not available for tech support this weekend.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

This is fast charging?!

I'm curious. Did it say fast charging when you plugged it in? I've been trying to figure out where the battery has to be in order for it to fast charge vs slow charge.

Reactions: nviz22

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Anyone following the latest Google Android news?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-uncertified-android-devices-from-logging-in/

I've been saying it (as I'm sure others as well...) Google is becoming more and more locked down. Of course for most people this is going to be a non issue but those of us who like to tinker and run custom roms and such?

It's already been to the point where I don't throw roms on my phone any more.
[doublepost=1522101500][/doublepost]

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-uncertified-android-devices-from-logging-in/

I've been saying it (as I'm sure others as well...) Google is becoming more and more locked down. Of course for most people this is going to be a non issue but those of us who like to tinker and run custom roms and such?

Edit: I seem to have misread the article a bit regarding custom roms...

Edit 2 evidently I hit the wrong button and replied to my post instead of actually editing it :oops:

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

[doublepost=1522101500][/doublepost]

Edit: I seem to have misread the article a bit regarding custom roms...

Edit 2 evidently I hit the wrong button and replied to my post instead of actually editing it :oops:
The one thing I took away from that article was to beware of resellers mucking about on your imported phones. :eek:

I would not throw a ROM onto a phone I use daily, but by now I’ve got my HTC 10 to experiment on,should the mood to try something new strike.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Been rocking this Pixel 2 XL since December and still just as happy with it four months later as I am from day one. Usually I'm a super phone whore addicted to the next new device but over the years I've always loved the Nexus phones the best, even though I've always dabbled in the other phone releases at the time.

But this pixel is just very very good. There is no phone out right now that I would trade this for, there's nothing at all that interests me more then this great phone.

I think only the Pixel 3 XL will be the only phone to interest me next.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m in the car on a road trip. My husband took my Pixel 2 off the charger just now and handed it to me. I had a black wallpaper on it and noticed a white strip across the top of the display. I changed the wallpaper to another that is supposed to be black but the same strip of lightened pixels is across the top. Interestingly enough I couldn’t get this to show up on the S9+ photos so I had to use my iPhone 8 Plus camera to get it.

Has anyone seen or heard of this happening on the Pixel 2 or 2 xL displays?

I had to crop the photo so it will upload to this forum. It’s along the very top of the display mostly on the left side. It looks like light bleed like you’d get on an LCD display.

I’ve never seen it before. I don’t know if my screen protector is causing it. I’m on the road and kind of need it so I hesitate to remove it. I was just wondering if anyone happened to run across this or read about it somewhere. I don’t usually go on Reddit and am not registered there but a lot of the good chatter sometimes contains weird stuff like this that you all might have run across.

Edit: okay well the pixels are fine. It’s just something that the display does only when displaying the wallpaper. Hm. Wonder why I never noticed it before.

01ADA5A8-839A-4049-83D4-15FC9299BC97.jpeg

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Hmmm just got an email from Google offering 50 bucks off a daydream view. I've had the thought roll through my mind a couple times. Oh Google you temptress o_O

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hmmm just got an email from Google offering 50 bucks off a daydream view. I've had the thought roll through my mind a couple times. Oh Google you temptress o_O
I’ve always meant to get one. I just never got around to it because I got the Samsung VR goggles with my phones. Definitely let us know if you get one and if so, how you like or don’t like it.
[doublepost=1522451059][/doublepost]
Agree with the video looking especially impressive!

I took this and posted it to Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgd8oM3n-HQ/?taken-by=jesaltv

People started messaging me thinking it was actually real. They couldn't tell the difference!!
Sorry I had missed your post when you made it. That video came out great! I love making these AR videos. Google did a really incredible job with the implementation. The fact that they’re popular Star Wars characters and items is icing on the cake. I hope they do more partnerships with popular franchise characters.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
And again with the slow rapid charging...

Charging rapidly 3 hour till full...

Was at 43% when I put it on 51 now. Still 3 hr to go. Should have enough battery to get through my work day but still, would like to know what's up with these devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.