Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone sell their pixel and get a opo 6 ? I am thinking to do this

It wouldn't be a bad idea:

The OnePlus 6 is now my go-to phone instead of the Pixel 2
OnePlus is starting to beat Google at its own game.

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-6-vs-google-pixel-2

Some seriously good points brought up in this article, including:

... there are some aspects of the OnePlus 6 that I find better-executed than the Pixel 2 — the first of which is the software experience. That might sound preposterous considering that Google's Pixel phones are widely considered to have the ultimate Android experience out there, but there are a lot of things that OnePlus just does better.

Reactions: TheBigKing

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It wouldn't be a bad idea:

On the other hand, I was able to chat with Google about when my phone stopped charging and they just sent out another with a “send the other back” mentality. Well, I could have. I actually sent it back and got it fixed because I had a backup phone.

But they were going to send it overnight.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
On the other hand, I was able to chat with Google about when my phone stopped charging and they just sent out another with a “send the other back” mentality. Well, I could have. I actually sent it back and got it fixed because I had a backup phone.

But they were going to send it overnight.

It's true to say good customer service goes a long way.

vijaygopalbalasa

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2018
chennai
I got my Pixel 2 (small) about a week ago from Target. I was on the fence about getting it because I've been so entrenched in the iOS environment, but the $300 verizon discount and $250 Target gift card swayed me. How wrong could I go for an effective net of $100? Plus I got to keep my old phone.
Did anyone else get in on that deal?

Like everyone else, I've been very impressed with the camera. Especially the selfie camera, although I do not take many selfies, lol. I'm in the process of adjusting. Some things I like, others I don't. There is no perfect OS.

Hi there, If you're eager to know how to get Google Pixel 2 Potrait Mode on any android device. Then, gear it up with this article: https://www.androidstrike.com/get-pixel-2-portrait-mode-on-any-android-phone/

Reactions: Shanghaichica

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I gave my daughter my X and am back with the 2XL. I enjoyed the X, especially the gestures, but I missed the camera too much.

Running the latest beta and so far, I like it. I like the gestures on the X better, but this isn't bad. I do wish the area you swipe between apps when multi tasking was lower on the screen. I keep hitting the search bar when I'm trying to swipe.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The pictures from this thing still amaze me sometimes.

IMG_20180729_232522.jpg

Reactions: nospleen

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I'm not sure I want to know what that is lol.

I'm still dumbstruck by this wonderful camera. A very cropped image, at the desert.

Attachments

• PSX_20180730_084554.jpg
    PSX_20180730_084554.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 145

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Dumb question most likely but an Apple guy for the most part. Does the Pixel XL2 work on ATT if I just put my sim card in it? Coming from a 6S Plus.

I want to try an Android phone before the new Apple devices are announced. I just dont know which is the best to mess with the Pixel, S9, Note.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Dumb question most likely but an Apple guy for the most part. Does the Pixel XL2 work on ATT if I just put my sim card in it? Coming from a 6S Plus.

I want to try an Android phone before the new Apple devices are announced. I just dont know which is the best to mess with the Pixel, S9, Note.

All Pixel phones are unlocked, even the ones from Verizon (if I'm not mistaken) so yeah, you should be able to put in your SIM to any Pixel device and it'll work.

Regarding Pixel vs S9 vs Note, you can dive deeper in your research, but generally speaking, it breaks down to:

Pixel for best camera experience (this includes Photos app) and software support.

S9 for best overall device particularly with hardware along with some added value features.

And the Note 8 is basically an S9 but for power users with a bigger screen, bigger battery, and the extra features of the S-Pen.

I would throw into the mix the OnePlus 6. Take a look at that, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cnasty

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
All Pixel phones are unlocked, even the ones from Verizon (if I'm not mistaken) so yeah, you should be able to put in your SIM to any Pixel device and it'll work.

Regarding Pixel vs S9 vs Note, you can dive deeper in your research, but generally speaking, it breaks down to:

Pixel for best camera experience (this includes Photos app) and software support.

S9 for best overall device particularly with hardware along with some added value features.

And the Note 8 is basically an S9 but for power users with a bigger screen, bigger battery, and the extra features of the S-Pen.

I would throw into the mix the OnePlus 6. Take a look at that, too.

Excellent info and thanks for taking the time to do that.

Which in your experience will be the least harshest transition from iOS to fathom and value wise?

I am hoping to get a second hand device and sell my current one towards it.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Which in your experience will be the least harshest transition from iOS to fathom and value wise?

Get the pixel.
Pure android vs touchwiz

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I would recommend the Pixel as a good place to start.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What do people think of the OG Pixel XL as a viable option still?

I have a KEY2 at the moment, but currently selling it as I am just really not enjoying the phone for a number of reasons.

I have zero clue what phone to change to and don't have a whole load of money to throw at it, what with a load of phones coming up in the upcoming months.
Pixel 3, new iPhone etc.

I've just seen that new Pixel XL's can still be bought for £299 from Argos, so am quite tempted to just go for that.
I imagine performance is still good, screen was always impressive, I like the design over the 2 XL - it's just the camera that is a bit of a question mark.
Is it still any good? Or will it show its age now?

Or should I just plump for something a bit better even though I know I likely won't last too long with it with all the new goodness coming soon?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I have a KEY2 at the moment, but currently selling it as I am just really not enjoying the phone for a number of reasons.

I have zero clue what phone to change to and don't have a whole load of money to throw at it, what with a load of phones coming up in the upcoming months.
Pixel 3, new iPhone etc.

I've just seen that new Pixel XL's can still be bought for £299 from Argos, so am quite tempted to just go for that.
I imagine performance is still good, screen was always impressive, I like the design over the 2 XL - it's just the camera that is a bit of a question mark.

Or should I just plump for something a bit better even though I know I likely won't last too long with it with all the new goodness coming soon?

Are you considering the regular Pixel 2? I think that's a better option than the OG Pixel XL, however, if you want a plus-size phone, I can see your dilemma.

I think the OG Pixel XL could be a fine option if it's at a really good price. Still has headphone jack, too.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Are you considering the regular Pixel 2? I think that's a better option than the OG Pixel XL, however, if you want a plus-size phone, I can see your dilemma.

I think the OG Pixel XL could be a fine option if it's at a really good price. Still has headphone jack, too.

No, not the regular 2.
The 2 was on sale like a week and a half ago here in the UK but has since gone back up to £629 which I just don't want to pay when I know I won't have it for that long before the 3 comes out.

The OG Pixel is basically less than half price at £299 (brand new) and it will still perform amazingly well plus have access to the P beta etc.

Seems like a no brainer and will be something cheap but good to tide me over until these new phone start rolling on in Autumn.

Reactions: epicrayban

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Pixel 3, new iPhone etc.

I tried the OG Pixel XL not too long ago (I never owned one and wanted to try it)... man, I've been spoiled by the 2:1 (18:9) aspect ratio. It was VERY hard to get used to 16:9 again. I ended up selling it not too long after, it just wasn't going to be daily driver material. The hardware and software were phenomenal but 16:9 felt odd in my hand and I could never hit the software navigation buttons right because of it. I was always hitting the bottom bezel to get to those buttons. My muscle memory from using 2:1 aspect ratio phones for so long was very apparent.

but, as a place holder until you find the next phone to go with, I think it's a fine choice. I know the screen on the smaller pixel is pretty dang small, so make sure that's ok first.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I tried the OG Pixel XL not too long ago (I never owned one and wanted to try it)... man, I've been spoiled by the 2:1 (18:9) aspect ratio. It was VERY hard to get used to 16:9 again. I ended up selling it not too long after, it just wasn't going to be daily driver material. The hardware and software were phenomenal but 16:9 felt odd in my hand and I could never hit the software navigation buttons right because of it. I was always hitting the bottom bezel to get to those buttons. My muscle memory from using 2:1 aspect ratio phones for so long was very apparent.

but, as a place holder until you find the next phone to go with, I think it's a fine choice. I know the screen on the smaller pixel is pretty dang small, so make sure that's ok first.
I can imagine the design would feel quite dated now, especially if you’ve used a near bezeless display.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So I'm using a KEY2 with a 3:2 screen ratio which is a PITA for Instagram stories (which I do a lot) as they format awfully on all other phones.

The nav buttons are also in the middle of the phone, so I don't think I'll have any issues getting to grips with them being on the bottom again as I hate the KEY2 capacitive ones.

I just don't really know what else I'd buy. I considered a G7 but it's £300 more expensive and I'm not really getting a whole lot more in terms of bang for buck.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So I'm using a KEY2 with a 3:2 screen ratio which is a PITA for Instagram stories (which I do a lot) as they format awfully on all other phones.

The nav buttons are also in the middle of the phone, so I don't think I'll have any issues getting to grips with them being on the bottom again as I hate the KEY2 capacitive ones.

I just don't really know what else I'd buy. I considered a G7 but it's £300 more expensive and I'm not really getting a whole lot more in terms of bang for buck.

definitely worth trying out if you can get one and return it with little to no fuss if it doesn't suit you. or see if a friend has one you can borrow to try out.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Bit of a nightmare. Checked carphonewarehouse again this morning and the Pixel 2's are all reduced again. Ha.

But it's still £200 more for a Pixel 2 (smaller) over the OG XL.

Anyway, I decided to go for the OG. Goes into store to pay for it and the lady behind the till said "£449 please". I said - it was 299 when I reserved it last night?! And it didn't have a sale or clearance banner on it?

She said it might have had a price reduction and gone back up and I checked the Argos app as I was stood there and low and behold it was 449!
Just as I was about to leave to go and begrudgingly buy a Pixel 2 from CPW, she said they have to honour the price you reserve at so £299 was indeed all I paid.
Well, £289 technically as I got a free £10 gift card for spending over £100.

Winner winner.

I have only just got it set up but my that screen is mighty fine. Coming from the poor LCD panel in the KEY2 I am in for a treat there.

Might go mad and try the Android P beta once I'm back from a Starbucks trip with a mate. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.