Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Been thinking about checking for the P beta 4 OTA. I'm still running the first one. Have not gotten an OTA prompt for any but I've gotten magisk manager nags I've been in ignoring.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Verizon Pixel is unlocked for all carriers. All updates come from Google. The only thing locked down on a Verizon Pixel is the boot loader. TMK there is not a way to unlock that.

Sounds great. Wanted to make sure I gave someone the right info. Sounds like I did. Thanks!

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Got a Pixel 2 128GB yesterday besides my iPhone 8.
For me it's the best Android device for the following reasons:
  • software updates are on spot
  • it's stock android
  • it just works - can't say that for Apple's iOS 11...
Already tested the Pixel 2XL some weeks ago but it was too large for onehanded use.
Will use Google Maps with offline maps in the mountains of Italy soon with Android Auto in my car (Carplay doesn't support offline maps....)
For me there is no either/or in regard to Apple and Android devices - either have their pros and cons ;).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Why is Samsung pay the only one that also works with magnetic strip payments? Genuine question for both Google and Apple. Have they ever explained?
It started when they bough LoopPay. They put a MST chip in all of the Samsung phones from LoopPay.

Back in February, Samsung acquired LoopPay, which developed the MST technology, and it wasted little time building it into its phones. LoopPay's co-founder, Will Graylin, came over to Samsung with the acquisition. He contends that the threshold at which users will begin to really use mobile payments is 80 percent — that is, 80 percent or more of the stores you visit need to be able to let you pay from your phone. Since Samsung Pay can work with most credit card terminals, Samsung believes that it has a jump start on the competition.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/13/9146965/samsung-pay-mobile-payment-credit-card-readers-date

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Got it. Thanks for the answers. Still helping out someone with their new Pixel 2.

And I learned something, too. It's a bit of a bummer in regards to Google and Apple to hear that.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
ordered a 64gb panda pixel xl 2 . Fingers crossed the one i received has a uniform screen/dead pixel-free/dust free unit.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
ordered a 64gb panda pixel xl 2 . Fingers crossed the one i received has a uniform screen/dead pixel-free/dust free unit.

Just curious why the pixel over the OnePlus 6 since the pixel line has been a bit iffy and two thirds the way through the product cycle?

I should have waited for the panda myself but ordered day one and did have to swap it out.

Edit:

Anyone else still have weird issues with the touch screen? Especially along the edges? By "weird" I mean just that or kind of something being a little off?

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious why the pixel over the OnePlus 6 since the pixel line has been a bit iffy and two thirds the way through the product cycle?

I should have waited for the panda myself but ordered day one and did have to swap it out.

Edit:

Anyone else still have weird issues with the touch screen? Especially along the edges? By "weird" I mean just that or kind of something being a little off?

Get ready for things potentially being a little off with the screen if you use a OP device as well. I heard they use a screen with a lower sensitivity (or something like that) to touch and you can tell if you come from other flagship devices. I did try one once and noticed something was off with the touch sensitivity.

Reactions: slitherjef

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Slightly off topic, but for me it’s connected. Just jailbroke my iPhone X and I think the only phone I prefer to the Pixel 2XL is a jailbroken iPhone X.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Slightly off topic, but for me it’s connected. Just jailbroke my iPhone X and I think the only phone I prefer to the Pixel 2XL is a jailbroken iPhone X.

I didn't even know jailbreaking was still a thing with iPhones? Heh shows how out of touch I really am with them devices. o_O

I tried a couple times with I think an iPad mini and first gen apple tv then was like "????" :confused:

I eventually restored things and went about my day. I did get an ad blocker, I remember paying through Amazon of all things for a cydia app. This was a long time ago.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I can get the whitestone dome glass screen protector on amazon right now for $31. The one that requires the UV light, etc. to cure the protector. I'm tempted to get one for my wife's Panda Pixel. Anyone here installed one of these protectors before? How's it holding up? I'm not too worried about the tedious install process but want to make sure it is quality and will protect her phone's front glass. thanks!

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
A question for all Pixel owners: How is the camera so good despite having no OIS? Or does this generation have it?

I ask because I am surprised how good my Honor 10 pictures are without any stabilisation. I wasn't expecting anything brilliant, but the photos really are quite good, approaching iPhone quality. Perhaps its because it's been a while since I took any photos with an android device. The Xperia I had was nothing to write home about.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
A question for all Pixel owners: How is the camera so good despite having no OIS? Or does this generation have it?

I ask because I am surprised how good my Honor 10 pictures are without any stabilisation. I wasn't expecting anything brilliant, but the photos really are quite good, approaching iPhone quality.

I believe it does have OIS.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Immediately on trying an iPhone with OIS I realised how good (to me) the pictures were. Trying an android without it, it was obviously inferior but perhaps even mid-range androids have caught up with their algorithms.

I believe the original pixel had the best camera without OIS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.