Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I bought another Pixel 2 XL. Hoping some of the issues from the earlier batches are cleared up. I got a brand new one with an a May 2018 build date for $500. Got the Panda 64gb again. Let's see if the third time's a charm!
How did you get 1 for 500?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So is anyone still running a P beta on their Pixel 2 / XL?
How is the experience? Have you turned off the navigation buttons and are going full gesture?
Is it stable?

Sorry for all the questions! I feel a bit out of the loop with it all so thought I'd check in. :)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So is anyone still running a P beta on their Pixel 2 / XL?
How is the experience? Have you turned off the navigation buttons and are going full gesture?
Is it stable?

Sorry for all the questions! I feel a bit out of the loop with it all so thought I'd check in. :)

I've had a great experience and I like the gestures. It's very stable.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's promising to hear in regards to the gestures. They don't look that intuitive upon first glance.

Oh, you will have to take a couple minutes to learn them. But once you do use them, they're extremely functional. The best example, to me, is just scrolling through the apps you have open vs bring up multitasking then scroll.

Reactions: epicrayban

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I bought another Pixel 2 XL. Hoping some of the issues from the earlier batches are cleared up. I got a brand new one with an a May 2018 build date for $500. Got the Panda 64gb again. Let's see if the third time's a charm!

Keep us posted! I'm very curious as to see if the newer build date has cleared up some of the issues. I, personally, went through two earlier (very close to launch) devices and eventually got rid of the second one due to being so fed up with it. I'm currently using an Essential PH-1 and like the phone, but yeah, I do miss the Pixel 2 XL mainly because of the camera.

Reactions: noobinator

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Oh, you will have to take a couple minutes to learn them. But once you do use them, they're extremely functional. The best example, to me, is just scrolling through the apps you have open vs bring up multitasking then scroll.

I dig it.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Still using the first P beta. Having a few quirks here and there but usable. Twitter does have issues. Not sure if it's the app but it often lags stuttering and will just dump me to a black screen for a second while my desktop comes back.

I'm also rooted on it.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I did the same for $540, love Swappa. Build date was April 2018 and it was brand new. From the photos the screen looks great. Google apparently has fixed the screen flashing issue with the June update, which was my only remaining issue with the P2XL. I love my S9 but the battery life (or lack thereof) is really annoying me. Also the double apps and home screen / software layout has started to annoy me. Sure I could install Nova, but I've started to miss the Pixel. Hope you enjoy yours! Mine delivers tomorrow.

Reactions: three

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Keep us posted! I'm very curious as to see if the newer build date has cleared up some of the issues. I, personally, went through two earlier (very close to launch) devices and eventually got rid of the second one due to being so fed up with it. I'm currently using an Essential PH-1 and like the phone, but yeah, I do miss the Pixel 2 XL mainly because of the camera.

Well this device built in may still has blue shift just as bad as the other two I had last year. Color me disappointed.

Reactions: three

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can you easily swipe up once to access your app drawer in Android P's gestures?

I like what they've done with multi-tasking, but overall, the gestures still look unintuitive and a halfway attempt. I wish they figured out a full gesture solution.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Well this device built in may still has blue shift just as bad as the other two I had last year. Color me disappointed.
Considering the screen lottery of the iPhone X, "only" some blue shift is a minor thing. All OLED phones have some shift at an angle. It can be FAR worse. Pink edges, pink hue, poor uniformity, yellow tint. Some blue shift is the least offensive issue an OLED phone can have. In my humble opinion.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Exactly! People are keeping their expectations REALLY high. Most OLED phones are not going to be pristine like Samsung phones. I’m sorry to say. My phone does have black crush but no other OLED issues I can see. The Pixel 2 is still my favorite Android phone i’ve ever used. Installing Beta 3 now!

Reactions: Harthag

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Considering the screen lottery of the iPhone X, "only" some blue shift is a minor thing. All OLED phones have some shift at an angle. It can be FAR worse. Pink edges, pink hue, poor uniformity, yellow tint. Some blue shift is the least offensive issue an OLED phone can have. In my humble opinion.

It’s a ton of blue shift on all three I’ve tried. I’ve seen others that have less but I haven’t gotten that lucky yet. I’ll be back for pixel 3 but I’m done with the the 2/2xl

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Can you easily swipe up once to access your app drawer in Android P's gestures?

I like what they've done with multi-tasking, but overall, the gestures still look unintuitive and a halfway attempt. I wish they figured out a full gesture solution.

I can easily do it by swiping to about the middle of the screen.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
It’s a ton of blue shift on all three I’ve tried. I’ve seen others that have less but I haven’t gotten that lucky yet. I’ll be back for pixel 3 but I’m done with the the 2/2xl

That sucks, yes some are better in this regard than others. Hopefully Pixel 3 will be the one. It'll be a day 1 buy for me.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008

Oof. My biggest issue with my previous two Pixel 2 XL's was not only blueshift but a lot of graininess and the black crush with low brightness levels. The display just didn't feel crisp and that sucked. Guess I'm going to stick with my Essential Phone until the Pixel 3. Hopefully the 3 won't be as problematic as the 2 XL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.