Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Been trying gestures on Android P beta. Its not too bad. But I still prefer the buttons at the bottom tbh.
But I have discovered that if you slow swipe from the bottom you can get to the app drawer with only one swipe.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Been trying gestures on Android P beta. Its not too bad. But I still prefer the buttons at the bottom tbh.
But I have discovered that if you slow swipe from the bottom you can get to the app drawer with only one swipe.
If you use gestures, the home button and back buttons are still there.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I know...ive been using it. The recent button is not there though. You have to swipe to use that function.

And the worst part is that the gestures have that funky animation that doesn’t make it feel as good. At least that’s my opinion.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The gestures really sound and look like a mess. I hope Google is paying attention to feedback.

They need some tweaking but TBH, if Google is planning to go the gestures route, they need to just dive head first and go all in. Either adopt them universally across the entire OS and ditch the buttons entirely or just stick with the buttons. Halfway in between will just confuse people and is less intuitive, IMO.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They need some tweaking but TBH, if Google is planning to go the gestures route, they need to just dive head first and go all in. Either adopt them universally across the entire OS and ditch the buttons entirely or just stick with the buttons. Halfway in between will just confuse people and is less intuitive, IMO.
I totally agree with that thought process. Personally I do not see them going all in with gestures. It is too big a change for the normal users to comprehend.
My personal hope would be they leave it up to the users to decide if they want gestures or keep the buttons.
That they have it in settings to let people decide if they want gestures or not. Then depending on their choice remove the buttons and gestures becomes the default navigation or keep the buttons.

But either way most OEMs will apply their own take on gestures with an skin of their own.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Precisely this. Give users two options: "classic" on-screen buttons or full gestures.

Why can't the new pill act as a gesture in both directions? Just like gesturing it right lets you flip through apps, gesturing the other way can be the universal back button. So the gestures would be:

Gesture left for back
Gesture right + hold for app flipping
Gesture right and let go for full app switcher.
Gesture up to go home.
Gesture up twice to get to app drawer. (or maybe gesture full swipe up for app drawer)

Done. Simple.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Precisely this. Give users two options: "classic" on-screen buttons or full gestures.

Why can't the new pill act as a gesture in both directions? Just like gesturing it right lets you flip through apps, gesturing the other way can be the universal back button. So the gestures would be:

Gesture left for back
Gesture up to go home.
Gesture up twice to get to app drawer. (or maybe gesture full swipe up for app drawer)

Done. Simple.

I don't agree with that. Providing two options creates more fragmentation in an already pretty fragmented ecosystem. Google should embrace one or the other. As it currently stands, their gestures are a work in progress. They need a bit of an overhaul to be truly useful.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Gesture left for back
Gesture up to go home.

Done. Simple.
That looks good to me. Then we don't know what Google will do with stock Android.

But we do know that Android OEMs will put their spin on gestures with their skins.
My hope is that gestures can be turned off like you said in "classic" mode.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It'd be cool if in my configuration, you could also hold on the left gesture and flip through the previous pages of the back button. For example, like how it is in Chrome on the desktop when you hold on the back button in the upper left corner, it gives you a list of all the "backs" you can go to.

It wouldn't always be applicable though, I guess.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
This might be just my issue but I have another problem with P’s gestures: I like that navigating on Android is fundamentally different than iOS. I’ve said this before: what problem are P’s gestures solving? Apple had to solve the absence of a home button.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This might be just my issue but I have another problem with P’s gestures: I like that navigating on Android is fundamentally different than iOS. I’ve said this before: what problem are P’s gestures solving? Apple had to solve the absence of a home button.

The fact that the gestures don't even give more screen real estate really brings into question what is the point?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The fact that the gestures don't even give more screen real estate really brings into question what is the point?

I know for me, not using gestures just feels weird. It just feels more intuitive for some reason to use the gestures than push the button. But I think the iPhone does them better.

Reactions: epicrayban

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

This exactly. My personal guess is that this is Google testing them out in increments to gauge user opinion vs Apple’s ‘this is what we did, take it or leave it’ method.

Getting the most out of edge to edge display means ditching the buttons entirely and I think ultimately that is Google’s plan. They’re just heading there in stages.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Pixel 2 XL is currently on sale in Carphonewarehouse in the UK this weekend and is £599.

I think that's the cheapest the XL model has been?

Reactions: nviz22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.