Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
This month I went on holiday and had my Pixel 2 XL with me. Wow. What a phone. I own a DSLR, FujiFilm X10 and a Lumix LX3. All are great camera but the Pixel 2 XL is hands down the best camera I've owned. Why?

1. Double tapping the power button instantly launch the camera. Attached to a neck strap I was able to point and shoot one handed.

2. At the end of every day Google Photos asked me if I want to share the photos with my GF.

3. Videos are incredibly smooth and stabilised even when I and the subject are in motion. I have toddler, so this is very important.

4. Photos don't need post production editing.

The last point is extremely important as even when shooting with the DSLR I always have to tweak the white balance, colours and sometimes even highlights or shadows. Below are two photos taken during the holiday. Both highlight who good the Pixel is for pointing, shooting and sharing photos that don't need post production work.

Imagine what Google's software will achieve as their devices use better sensors and lenses!

ey1z50fYT9DccTe7x84s2M5v3D4-7ge9GSC9_VNfD2ltDlFGySLOXJps07g_-u2bRebI83MTKYa-Yb5cGeK67am6E-JYD9ul52D0c6HAC5t8IOl-RE_fuXP37gDRWpzpZobPiZUIB7o=w1385-h779-no

XipUgykYYlQ8etU94_PRuJfZqCZf01ILOEy0qHCLuLpVLdqZmqnu4xMqppRckHEsLjVZUzXMpm9NmVeJXOXwLS4RIDbm_EKoWcLyB2bcxEXB_kREfmZAA6yzc5OVyU2y7EOZ_j4YTsc=w1732-h974-no

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got my Pixel 2 XL software update yesterday, just in case you didn't know.

There are some reports of the device being slow to wake up, though. So maybe hold off? Mine is fine but apparently if you don't use Always On Display it can cause slowness.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Got my Pixel 2 XL software update yesterday, just in case you didn't know.

There are some reports of the device being slow to wake up, though. So maybe hold off? Mine is fine but apparently if you don't use Always On Display it can cause slowness.
I have it nothing major to worries

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Not sure what you mean by locked. But they have a locked bootloader so you can't flash roms. But you can use the Verizon Pixel on any network. It is not sim locked to my knowledge

Locked to the network. Not bootloader. I decided not to pull the trigger on a Pixel 2 since I wasn't 100% sure on it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Locked to the network. Not bootloader. I decided not to pull the trigger on a Pixel 2 since I wasn't 100% sure on it.

Verizon Pixels are always network (sim card) UNLOCKED. As @jamezr pointed out, it's just the bootloader that's locked. If you don't care to root or flash roms, then there's no reason not to get a Verizon Pixel for any network out there. They work just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Verizon Pixels are always network (sim card) UNLOCKED. As @jamezr pointed out, it's just the bootloader. If you don't care to root or flash roms, then there's no reason not to get a Verizon Pixel for any network out there. They work just fine.

While the Verizon-sold Pixel devices will work on any network, it should be noted that only the Google-sold variant works with advanced LTE services on AT&T such as VOLTE, Advanced Messaging, Wifi Calling, etc. I found this out the hard way.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Verizon Pixels are always network (sim card) UNLOCKED. As @jamezr pointed out, it's just the bootloader. If you don't care to root or flash roms, then there's no reason not to get a Verizon Pixel for any network out there. They work just fine.

I was intrigued with going Pixel 2, but I decided to opt for a Pixel first gen for $180 with a $15 rebate attached.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Yup..I have a Verizon Pixel 2 and works great on T Mobile. Their wifi calling works just fine as well.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not surprising that T-mobile would work fine with the Verizon pixels. AT&T is just a d*ck to deal with.

My understanding is that TMobile baked their wifi calling and VoLTE right into Android (or something to that effect) so that it’s available on any phone while AT&T still requires each individual device to be certified. That kind of nonsense, amongst other things, was why I left AT&T over a year ago.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Android P beta 3 released today.

If I'm stock, not rooted how do I install a clean fresh beta 3 over my current beta 2 ?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Android P beta 3 released today.

If I'm stock, not rooted how do I install a clean fresh beta 3 over my current beta 2 ?

I think all you can do is take the update OTA that should be pushed out, if you want to do a fresh install you'll need to unenroll in the beta take the factory images (which will wipe your device) and do it again :eek::(

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Haven't used my Pixel 2XL for a couple months now. Popped the sim back in it today for a change. Such a fluid experience. I'm really liking 9.0 as well.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
This month I went on holiday and had my Pixel 2 XL with me. Wow. What a phone. I own a DSLR, FujiFilm X10 and a Lumix LX3. All are great camera but the Pixel 2 XL is hands down the best camera I've owned. Why?

1. Double tapping the power button instantly launch the camera. Attached to a neck strap I was able to point and shoot one handed.

2. At the end of every day Google Photos asked me if I want to share the photos with my GF.

3. Videos are incredibly smooth and stabilised even when I and the subject are in motion. I have toddler, so this is very important.

The last point is extremely important as even when shooting with the DSLR I always have to tweak the white balance, colours and sometimes even highlights or shadows. Below are two photos taken during the holiday. Both highlight who good the Pixel is for pointing, shooting and sharing photos that don't need post production work.

Imagine what Google's software will achieve as their devices use better sensors and lenses!

ey1z50fYT9DccTe7x84s2M5v3D4-7ge9GSC9_VNfD2ltDlFGySLOXJps07g_-u2bRebI83MTKYa-Yb5cGeK67am6E-JYD9ul52D0c6HAC5t8IOl-RE_fuXP37gDRWpzpZobPiZUIB7o=w1385-h779-no

XipUgykYYlQ8etU94_PRuJfZqCZf01ILOEy0qHCLuLpVLdqZmqnu4xMqppRckHEsLjVZUzXMpm9NmVeJXOXwLS4RIDbm_EKoWcLyB2bcxEXB_kREfmZAA6yzc5OVyU2y7EOZ_j4YTsc=w1732-h974-no

Hey dude - where is this that you went?!
Pics are stunning.

Also, has anyone seen this video of Mr. Mobile's Pixel 2 XL having a little repair?
It's very satisfying to watch, and I love the clear piece of glass instead of the black he used! :D

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

Holy sh*t those pics are awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.