Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So I might have bought another Pixel 2XL. Maybe. And I might have a problem.

The panda XL 2 has been on my mind as well...

Dang, I've already tried to root using magisk to patch the boot image. Keyword here is tried...

I might have to wait until magisk is updated. It will not root, not sure if I need to go to the beta channel or what. I knew I couldn't hold off on rooting

Hi all, I'm slitherjef and I'm a root-aholic :oops:

I needed to use magisk 16.4 from the beta channel on xda to achieve root. Saftynet passed. Probably broke my OTA updates again lol

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm actually intrigued about the Pixel watch. I've been using Android wear (wear OS) for the last several months and quite enjoy it.

This^. The Apple Watch is one my biggest personal barriers to moving to Android. Wear OS needs some love from Google before I’ll consider trying it again, especially in the fitness/health tracking area. There are a few apps I’d also find a hard time living without. And a Pixel Watch better have a new generation of mobile CPU since the current crop are 2+ years old.

Hit these three targets and I’ll seriously consider giving it another go.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Please stop talking about new Pixels and Pixel watches and such. I’m TRYING to be content with my iPhone X and Apple Watch. :confused:o_O:mad:;)

I used to love my Apple Watch, and then I tried a Fitbit Versa. Pixel Watch is going to have to be amazing to beat it, and I doubt it will be. Qualcomm hasn't proven to me that they can make good wearable chips.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This^. The Apple Watch is one my biggest personal barriers to moving to Android. Wear OS needs some love from Google before I’ll consider trying it again, especially in the fitness/health tracking area. There are a few apps I’d also find a hard time living without. And a Pixel Watch better have a new generation of mobile CPU since the current crop are 2+ years old.

Hit these three targets and I’ll seriously consider giving it another go.

Yep, my AW(s) are part of what keep me on iOS. I'm also watching with high interest in what a Google watch will be like. I don't have a lot of faith though, especially seeing how they always seem one step behind in hardware from anyone else. I wasn't impressed with the pixel 2 series at all, especially for the price. It seems like Google wants to be Apple without the quality control.

Google's buds seem really janky as well. Although Apple's earbuds are complete garbage anyhow as they fall out if I so much as smile or raise my eyebrows.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Not a fan?

A phone must have gestures for me now after using the iphone x. Would make me tempted to buy the next pixel along with the next iphone

Understood, and almost likewise.

Nope, not a fan of P’s gestures. Unintuitive and poorly designed. If they were gonna copy X’s gestures, which are mostly successful, they should have just copied it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
With the way that google are really investing in AI it makes the pixel phones worthy contenders.

And the best part is that you won't have to buy the newest phone to enjoy it. A Pixel 2XL might not be as fast as a Pixel 3 will be, but P will bring it all sorts of AI goodness.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And the best part is that you won't have to buy the newest phone to enjoy it. A Pixel 2XL might not be as fast as a Pixel 3 will be, but P will bring it all sorts of AI goodness.
This is why the pixel is the best option if you want an android phone for me. Updates do matter alot and as much as i loved/love the samsung hardware the software is not good for me and having to buy the latest samsung devices just to get updates is poor.

I love using the google assistant on my iphone/ipad and while there are some limitations it works well and is why i bought the google mini and thinking about adding another one too.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This is why the pixel is the best option if you want an android phone for me. Updates do matter alot and as much as i loved/love the samsung hardware the software is not good for me and having to buy the latest samsung devices just to get updates is poor.

I love using the google assistant on my iphone/ipad and while there are some limitations it works well and is why i bought the google mini and thinking about adding another one too.

Which do you think will happen first: Google getting hardware right or Samsung updating faster?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I really hope Google allows one the option to keep either the gestures or the familiar navigation system instead of forcing things.

I haven't tried the gestures yet. I do like the new multitasking / recents layout so far

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Understood, and almost likewise.

Nope, not a fan of P’s gestures. Unintuitive and poorly designed. If they were gonna copy X’s gestures, which are mostly successful, they should have just copied it.

Of course this is very subjective but I actually think I slightly prefer the gestures on P. Neither are really intuitive but I actually think the X gestures less so. If you hand someone an X, even if they’ve used an iPhone before, they generally have no idea how to navigate. Give that same person a Pixel running P and they’ll more often at least understand the home button and back button. A single swipe to access the mult-app window on P is much better than the janky ‘swipe and hold’, swipe an inverted ‘L’ or swipe diagonally moves needed to do the same on the X. It’s also much easier to dismiss apps (no need to activate close gesture) and the suggested apps at the bottom seem pretty spot on. You can even copy content directly from those windows without having to bring the app to full screen.

The quick swipe to scroll between apps is a great feature on both but it’s inconsistent on the X. On the X, if you swipe right you can swipe left to return to the previous app but only if you do it relatively quickly, otherwise you have to swipe left again. :confused: Android P is consisent in both directions and even lets you bump up the scroll speed.

P is far from perfect—always needing to double swipe to access the app drawer is often a pain. I also think it would feel like a more consistent experience if they ditched the back button entirely and went with swipes from the left or right edge to go back or forward, respectively—but only if it applied system-wide. I love the left to right gesture to ‘go back’ on the iPhone but it’s super inconsistent.

Regardless, I’m a fan of gesture based navigation in general—just think they both need a little polish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildo6882
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.