Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You don't need 2 swipes to get to the app drawer. I don't on the P beta.....

If you enable the gestures you do.

I’m curious if the option to stick with the legacy navigation ultimately remains or if Google has left it in the beta for the time being to wean us off of it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Legacy navigation is default. Gestures have to be enabled.
Exactly....thats why I said what I said. A lot of people are trying to make it seem like Android P is going to be harder to use because of the gestures that were added. I don't see it that way at all. I think they will let you choose whether to add them or not.
For me the P beta isn't much different than Oreo other than a few cosmetic improvements.
I like the battery percentage on the bottom of the AOD screen. But prefer it be centered in the middle along with the rest of the notifications. they moved the clock tot he left side now and that seems odd to me.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Exactly....thats why I said what I said. A lot of people are trying to make it seem like Android P is going to be harder to use because of the gestures that were added. I don't see it that way at all. I think they will let you choose whether to add them or not.
For me the P beta isn't much different than Oreo other than a few cosmetic improvements.
I like the battery percentage on the bottom of the AOD screen. But prefer it be centered in the middle along with the rest of the notifications. they moved the clock tot he left side now and that seems odd to me.

It’s only the first beta. I doubt Google would have put the gestures front and center in their Keynote if they didn’t ultimately intend to make that the default navigation at some point. Or at least, that’s their hope. Unlike Apple, they’ll actually put it out there to gauge public interest before commuting and the public beta program is a great place to start that process.

I just won’t be surprised if in a later version of the beta they flip the script and turn them on by default and users then have to go into settings to turn them off.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It’s only the first beta. I doubt Google would have put the gestures front and center in their Keynote if they didn’t ultimately intend to make that the default navigation at some point. Or at least, that’s their hope. Unlike Apple, they’ll actually put it out there to gauge public interest before commuting and the public beta program is a great place to start that process.

I just won’t be surprised if in a later version of the beta they flip the script and turn them on by default and users then have to go into settings to turn them off.
That is your opinion though. I am not so sure they will make the gestures the default navigation myself. I think they will let people decide how they want to use Android....unlike IOS Android is all about choice and customization.

Based on all the negative comments I have seen around all the tech sites and here on MR.....having gestures as the default might not get the reception Google had hoped.

Reactions: koigirl

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Gestures

Camera shortcut: Double pressing the power button opens the camera app. This is a huge win as I'm going on holiday this month. It is a feature I wanted as waking up the phone and swiping up for the camera app makes it inconvenient to snap spontaneously.

Notification shortcut: Swipe down on the finger print reader to reveal notifications. This is handy for glancing using one handed operation.

Haven't these two been around for a long time (way before P)?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That is your opinion though. I am not so sure they will make the gestures the default navigation myself. I think they will let people decide how they want to use Android....unlike IOS Android is all about choice and customization.

Based on all the negative comments I have seen around all the tech sites and here on MR.....having gestures as the default might not get the reception Google had hoped.

Comments on tech forums and blogs are far from representative of the general public. Negative reaction to a trend also didn't stop Google in the past. Where's the headphone jack on the Pixel 2s? Google also is making accommodations for notches and many rumors point to a notch on the upcoming Pixel 3 models.

Only time will tell, of course. We'll just have to revisit this again this Autumn when P and the next Pixels are officially released.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Comments on tech forums and blogs are far from representative of the general public. Negative reaction to a trend also didn't stop Google in the past. Where's the headphone jack on the Pixel 2s? Google also is making accommodations for notches and many rumors point to a notch on the upcoming Pixel 3 models.

Only time will tell, of course. We'll just have to revisit this again this Autumn when P and the next Pixels are officially released.
Sure...but making accommodations in its software to support a phone with a notch is far from producing one themselves.

Then the difference here is the gestures are software based that can be enabled or disabled unlike the headphone jack you mentioned.

Then this is P beta....I for one have provided feedback on what I like/dislike so far about the beta to Google

Reactions: tbayrgs

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

So you can remove the cal/weather widget from the Pixel Launcher then? Google will always be more customizable than iOS but increasingly they want Android to be what they define it as on their Pixel line. The gestures are obviously their preference for what the Pixel launcher should be.

Reactions: tbayrgs

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Whether or not we like, google is slowly transitioning to apple. They see iphone orders on launch week at 10+M and they must drool. It's unfortunate but true.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So you can remove the cal/weather widget from the Pixel Launcher then? Google will always be more customizable than iOS but increasingly they want Android to be what they define it as on their Pixel line. The gestures are obviously their preference for what the Pixel launcher should be.
I can remove just about anything on my Pixel and on ANY Android phone. I can install Nova launcher or ANY other launcher for that matter that would provide the customization i wanted and or didn't find in the Pixel Launcher.

Then I can root it and flash a custom rom if I chose to.

So.....can you arrange you app icons in any way you want in IOS? That's a pretty basic thing btw....

Using Nova

d5daf2a215768be6734315318e9d1953.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I can remove just about anything on my Pixel and on ANY Android phone. I can install Nova launcher or ANY other launcher for that matter that would provide the customization i wanted and or didn't find in the Pixel Launcher.

No, you can't change the pixel launcher, which was my point. You'd need to choose a different launcher, either Nova or rooting the software. The Pixel Launcher as is does not allow you to remove or change that widget on the home screen. Why was that so difficult to admit? It's not a knock on Android, just pointing out that Google is becoming more restrictive *For them* because, as I stated correctly, they want their own version of Android to stand on its own.

So.....can you arrange you app icons in any way you want in IOS? That's a pretty basic thing btw....

Who cares? I'm not having an ios vs Android conversation. If you want to, go for it. I'm an adult and don't really worry about having Godzilla vs King Kong arguments over software. That's the most boring part of this forum and I'm not going to participate in it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, you can't change the pixel launcher, which was my point. You'd need to choose a different launcher, either Nova or rooting the software. The Pixel Launcher as is does not allow you to remove or change that widget on the home screen. Why was that so difficult to admit? It's not a knock on Android, just pointing out that Google is becoming more restrictive *For them* because, as I stated correctly, they want their own version of Android to stand on its own.

Who cares? I'm not having an ios vs Android conversation. If you want to, go for it. I'm an adult and don't really worry about having Godzilla vs King Kong arguments over software. That's the most boring part of this forum and I'm not going to participate in it.
Now you are moving the goalposts so to speak and changing things up. I think you just want to argue the minutia

The post you quoted and bolded was this
unlike IOS Android is all about choice and customization.

Everything I said from then on was to support that statement that you bolded. Then for some reason you wanted to narrow that down to just the Pixel launcher.......if I don't like the Pixel launcher. I can change it. That still ties back to my original statement that you bolded.

I don't know where you came up all the other stuff to be honest...like I said you just want to argue the minutia.

That's the most boring part of this forum and I'm not going to participate in it.
Then don't start it.....

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Now you are moving the goalposts so to speak and changing things up. I think you just want to argue the minutia

The post you quoted and bolded was this

Everything I said from then on was to support that statement that you bolded. Then for some reason you wanted to narrow that down to just the Pixel launcher.......if I don't like the Pixel launcher. I can change it. That still ties back to my original statement that you bolded.

I don't know where you came up all the other stuff to be honest...like I said you just want to argue the minutia.

Then don't start it.....

Nope. Original question:

"So you can remove the cal/weather widget from the Pixel Launcher then? "

Maybe you have a smudge on your screen where the words "Pixel" and "Launcher" appeared and didn't see it.

So you wanted to know if you can move icons around on iOS in response to nothing having to do with iOS and it's the OTHER GUY who wants to have an argument about minutia? Okay then.

Reactions: FFR

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Nope. Original question:

"So you can remove the cal/weather widget from the Pixel Launcher then? "

Maybe you have a smudge on your screen where the words "Pixel" and "Launcher" appeared and didn't see it.

So you wanted to know if you can move icons around on iOS in response to nothing having to do with iOS and it's the OTHER GUY who wants to have an argument about minutia? Okay then.
Sooooo....a little context here to prove there are no smudges on my screen. You quoted me and BOLDED part of my quote that said

Than asked if I could change the "cal/weather widget from the Pixel Launcher then?"
So you can remove the cal/weather widget from the Pixel Launcher then?

You can't change that option on the Pixel Launcher. So to prove my original statement that you BOLDED
I replied that

Like I said for some reason you got your feathers ruffled and went off into left field about Godzilla and the like.

While no....i can't change the calendar and weather widget on my Pixel 2 XL. Happy? You win!!!
BUT I can install other launchers that fit my needs and can customize my home screen to be whatever i want ti to look like. That is the beauty of Android.

So I stand my my original statement

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
... so I suspect I would need to flash back to total stock before I can sign up for the P beta program, right?

I thought at one time I could sign up for beta and just take an OTA even if rooted but I've never participated in the program.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
... so I suspect I would need to flash back to total stock before I can sign up for the P beta program, right?

I thought at one time I could sign up for beta and just take an OTA even if rooted but I've never participated in the program.
Did you try going to the beta page and see if your device shows up? If it does then they should be able to push it to you.

https://www.google.com/android/beta

Reactions: slitherjef

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I’d say try to just sign up for the beta and go from there. What’s the worst that could happen?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
And what do you know, it installed! Ugh it's going to be tough going with out my fix of being rooted, but lately it's getting old to try to maintain root as it is. Hope the ads are not too obnoxious.

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.