Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Pixel is very nice but no temptation to leave iOS and honestly, didn’t expect it to. There are just many more things on iOS that I either prefer or just can’t part with.

To name just a few:

My iOS email client is better than anything I’ve tried on Android. Safari is still my preferred browser. I like 1Password better on iOS. More of my preferred apps utilize the FPS on iOS. All of my smart home gadgets are HomeKit compatible and their integration in the Home app with its expanded native functionality is better than how it’s handled on Android. A bit surprisingly I’ve found CarPlay to be a better experience than Android Auto, even without Waze. My family all uses Apple gear and management of their gear and accounts is much easier when I’m also using an iPhone. And as mentioned, nothing available can replace my Apple Watch.

The only thing on Android that’s really captured my interest is the Assistant but she's not nearly enough to pull me away. And even on iOS I can sufficiently interact with her to manage my Google Home devices and Android TV.

I’m keeping it just to play around with and stay current on the latest offerings from Google and Android. I also will likely be putting the camera through it’s paces. If anything, the Pixel will likely be my go to shooter for anything other than a quickly needed snap.

I've never actually used Android Auto, but use CarPlay frequently. What do you like better?

All of my stuff at home is integrated with Google Home products, and that won't change no matter what OS I use - because thankfully Google makes it pretty easy to use on Android and iOS. My family aside from my wife all use Apple stuff - so it would make sense to stick with it. And my wife is an avid Google Photos user so we share everything that way and it works very well for us. I don't like Siri - but I also wonder if I would feel the same way about Assistant. I like asking the occasional question, but not for all my tasks. I still like setting most of my own tasks, alarms, etc.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am waiting on a price drop on the 2XL or to get the 3. Google hasn’t been too aggressive with discounts for those buying outright. The Stormtrooper model is the one I want. Too many good competitors at lower prices for Google to stay with $849.

OnePlus 5T/6, Sony Xperia XZ2, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy S9, iPhone 8+, LG V30.

September/October cannot come soon enough.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I hope so. The screen on the XL is trash

You hadn't mentioned it.
Did you check the build date on the devices?
Only most people with newer built XL's have had very good screens from what I've read. And that was my experience too.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You hadn't mentioned it.
Only most people with newer built XL's have had very good screens from what I've read. And that was my experience too.

Mine was just mediocre when I had it. Not great, but I’ve definitely seen worse screens. Pixel 2XL is probably the best Android phone I’ve had to be honest. I don’t get the hate.

Reactions: nospleen

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
No headphone jack still bothers me, too. Didn't Google make fun of Apple for losing it? Then they pull the same stunt. Way to go.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No headphone jack still bothers me, too. Didn't Google make fun of Apple for losing it? Then they pull the same stunt. Way to go.

Headphone jack is going to disappear more and more as time goes on. It’s the future we are getting even if it’s not the future we like.

Reactions: epicrayban

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Hm, this makes me rethink my S9+ pre-order. Will Google finally get it right in the Pixel 3 though?

More likely to get it right than Samsung is with their software updates. For a Pixel, you're paying for the updates and hardware blend. With a jack of trades, there is bound for some corner cuts or limitations. You'll probably still get a good quality Samsung display on the Pixel 3.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Headphone jack is going to disappear more and more as time goes on. It’s the future we are getting even if it’s not the future we like.

No doubt, but I think OEMs can pave the way for a wireless future and still be able to accommodate the headphone jack at least for a couple of more years. Smartphone reviews of devices that retain the headphone jack are praised for the decision. The headphone jack hasn't really entered that "legacy" stage yet.

Also, the reason for losing the headphone jack -- that there is not enough internal room -- irks me a lot, too. This has been debunked by the likes of Samsung and LG, who offer near bezel-less screens, large batteries, etc., and can still find room to keep the headphone jack.

I'm all for a wireless future. It's proven you can do both. The S9 has the latest bluetooth tech and the headphone jack. To me, not including the jack feels like a blatant attempt to push sales of bluetooth accessories (like Airpods).

I know it's our future, but we don't have to get there this way, where we alienate and frustrate customers. BTW, ever try using the dongle with the Pixel 2? It's mind-boggling unreliable. I don't know how it got past Google's quality control and testing.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No doubt, but I think OEMs can pave the way for a wireless future and still be able to accommodate the headphone jack at least for a couple of more years. Smartphone reviews of devices that retain the headphone jack are praised for the decision. The headphone jack hasn't really entered that "legacy" stage yet.

Also, the reason for losing the headphone jack -- that there is not enough internal room -- irks me a lot, too. This has been debunked by the likes of Samsung and LG, who offer near bezel-less screens, large batteries, etc., and can still find room to keep the headphone jack.

I'm all for a wireless future. It's proven you can do both. The S9 has the latest bluetooth tech and the headphone jack. To me, not including the jack feels like a blatant attempt to push sales of bluetooth accessories (like Airpods).

I know it's our future, but we don't have to get there this way, where we alienate and frustrate customers. BTW, ever try using the dongle with the Pixel 2? It's mind-boggling unreliable. I don't know how it got past Google's quality control and testing.

If you look at the teardown for the Pixel 2, you’ll see that there is something in the space where the headphone jack would be. I don’t know what they decided to use the space for, but it does look like they used it for something.

Edit: Also, according to Paul Thurrott, the dongle is better on the P preview.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If you look at the teardown for the Pixel 2, you’ll see that there is something in the space where the headphone jack would be. I don’t know what they decided to use the space for, but it does look like they used it for something.

To that I say, engineer better, Google. ;)

Edit: Also, according to Paul Thurrott, the dongle is better on the P preview.

Sounds promising. Google should be ashamed of their dongle. It's the most finicky accessory I've ever had to use.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've never actually used Android Auto, but use CarPlay frequently. What do you like better?

All of my stuff at home is integrated with Google Home products, and that won't change no matter what OS I use - because thankfully Google makes it pretty easy to use on Android and iOS. My family aside from my wife all use Apple stuff - so it would make sense to stick with it. And my wife is an avid Google Photos user so we share everything that way and it works very well for us. I don't like Siri - but I also wonder if I would feel the same way about Assistant. I like asking the occasional question, but not for all my tasks. I still like setting most of my own tasks, alarms, etc.

Android Auto's layout is less efficient than CarPlay. CarPlay mimics the classic iOS home screen in most regards, including big ole icons for apps. It makes navigation by touch screen much easier. CarPlay also includes the 3 most recently used app icons on a strip on the left hand side of the screen, making a quick switch between two apps (ie. Maps to Pocket Casts and vice-versa) a snap. CarPlay also lets you add/remove/rearrange apps for the display layout, while Android Auto surprisingly offers no similar customization.

Conversely, navigating around Android Auto takes more touches for the same actions, respectively. The home screen either shows upcoming appointment destinations, currently playing audio, or nothing at all--basically a stripped down fixed notification shade. Navigation requires multiple touches to smaller targets along the bottom of the screen. For instance, to get play audio, you have to touch the small headphones icon which then brings up a list of all available apps, listed alphabetically. You then likely have to scroll to get to the app. Again, cannot change this list. Furthermore, messaging apps also live in this 'audio' submenu. If you want to switch apps, you have to first hit the center home icon, then either touch a shortcut on home screen if available (navigation or audio playing appears here) or once again plow through the drop down menu from the bottom icons.

Google Play Music offers a more robust interface on the CarPlay version--go figure.

Two areas where Android Auto has advantages, IMO--navigation with something other than Apple Maps and a few more available apps (i.e. Telegram messenger). The former has proven to be less troublesome than I expected--Apple Maps has worked quite well in my area. It falls short against Waze and Google Maps in being able to navigate to multiple stops simultaneously but otherwise has worked just fine. The latter I find to be even less of an issue as all of the most used apps (Pocket Casts, GPM, Spotify, TuneIn, Audible, WhatsApp, Pandora, Amazon Music, etc) exist on both platforms.

The other area where I'd normally give Android the clear win, voice assistants, is also not as impactful in the automobile, in my brief experience. I find Siri to do just fine and reasonably accurate for tasks (messaging, making calls, creating reminders, seeking navigation directions), on par with doing the same things using the Assistant on Android. Google Assistant pulls away when it comes to anything where searching the web is required.

CarPlay
IMG_0045.jpg

Android Auto
IMG_0041.jpg IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0043.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Wildo6882

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
More likely to get it right than Samsung is with their software updates. For a Pixel, you're paying for the updates and hardware blend. With a jack of trades, there is bound for some corner cuts or limitations. You'll probably still get a good quality Samsung display on the Pixel 3.

Hmm, I find it kind of onerous to spend $849 on a phone with corners cut. Seriously, that's top of the line flagship prices, I better get a top of the line flagship. And that's not even figuring in how much Google makes off of your eyeballs, they really should heavily subsidize the phone to get it into more hands. I've always been confused on Google's strategy with making their own hardware, I think they had it much more right when the Nexus phones were relatively cheap.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Hmm, I find it kind of onerous to spend $849 on a phone with corners cut. Seriously, that's top of the line flagship prices, I better get a top of the line flagship. And that's not even figuring in how much Google makes off of your eyeballs, they really should heavily subsidize the phone to get it into more hands. I've always been confused on Google's strategy with making their own hardware, I think they had it much more right when the Nexus phones were relatively cheap.

Android One is their new flagship plan because Moto, Nokia, etc are cheaper with timely updates.

Reactions: spinedoc77

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Had the iPhone X for a couple of months now and loving it. But thinking of getting pixel 2 again for half the price of my iPhone X. I did buy it when it was released and sold it because of the looks. It was a great phone though. I miss google assistant and the camera.

What do you guys think??

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Had the iPhone X for a couple of months now and loving it. But thinking of getting pixel 2 again for half the price of my iPhone X. I did buy it when it was released and sold it because of the looks. It was a great phone though. I miss google assistant and the camera.

What do you guys think??

You will love the Pixel 2. One of the features I never expected to use was Google Assist. This morning when I woke up, I said "Download Discord from Play store". It downloaded and installed. Siri doesn't hold a candle to Google Assist which I use on a daily basis not just to ask questions but to perform tasks.

Squeezing the phone and speaking to the assistant is alot quicker than typing, but more importantly less laborious than sayin "hey Siri" or "Ok Google". No matter how quickly I ramble, it gets what I'm saying. In fact, Google Assist works better on my Pixel than it did on my S6 Edge Plus.

IMO, Pixel 2 is the best phone on the market, and this is an opinion I didn't hold because I bought it.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
You hadn't mentioned it.
You hadn't mentioned it.
where do I find that info?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.