Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
To me 2018 is only about two phone relesses, the Pixel 3 XL #1 and the iPhone X2 Plus ( or whatever it will be named ) #2.

All other phones are meaningless to me, zero point in them. If you like Android, then stock is the ONLY way to go, and get the Google phone. And if you like iOS then the iPhone X2.

I am surprised you're not including the OnePlus 6 or HTC U12+.

The iPhone 2018 and Pixel 3 are high on my list.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Do you not swipe from the left hand side of the screen to go back on iOS? That, for me, is easier than reaching down for a back button on Android.
Reaching up to the top left to go back is not needed at all.

Re messages on the lock screen, I thought there was an option to choose whether you want content to show or not? I don't use iMessage so I can't really comment on that, but notifications on iOS are terrible all round.

With Face ID, I think it's 98% great. I personally have never had it not recognise my face, whether it's pitch black, I've got glasses on, or broad daylight. But that's not to say your issues are not happening - everyone's experience is different.

If it weren't for the 8 being just that but too small, and the Plus being that bit too big, I probably would have gone with one of those over an X, but I love the form factor and size too much to go back to a design that is really showing its age now.
I still like the functionality of a homescreen button and customizable software buttons. They are more ergonomic than the gestures in IOS...especially on the X. The back button works in all apps......

FaceID has been a hot and miss for me. I go outside and put sunglasses and a hat on and it lags as it tries to identify me. Most of the time it fails and I have to enter a pin. Can you save more than one face scan on the X? That would sove a lot of problems. It seems to fail at different times during the day too. The evenings or dark it fails a lot of the time. Then if I am walking and my face isn't still it fails. Hopefully they can perfect the software through hardware upgrades for the next iphone Xs or whatever they call this years models. I am looking forward to the larger model this year. But i really like my iphone 8 Plus a lot :)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I still like the functionality of a homescreen button and customizable software buttons. They are more ergonomic than the gestures in IOS...especially on the X. The back button works in all apps......

FaceID has been a hot and miss for me. I go outside and put sunglasses and a hat on and it lags as it tries to identify me. Most of the time it fails and I have to enter a pin. Can you save more than one face scan on the X? That would sove a lot of problems. It seems to fail at different times during the day too. The evenings or dark it fails a lot of the time. Then if I am walking and my face isn't still it fails. Hopefully they can perfect the software through hardware upgrades for the next iphone Xs or whatever they call this years models. I am looking forward to the larger model this year. But i really like my iphone 8 Plus a lot :)

Don't expect a FaceID hardware update because it took two years for a TouchID revision. FaceID software is supposed to get better with time. It was supposed to learn about hair and facial hair length too. Some glasses were supposed to work with FaceID and some aren't. I wouldn't get a new pair of glasses for a smartphone though. The idea of that sounds stupid. That's why TouchID should've still existed at the back underneath the Apple logo.
[doublepost=1523817812][/doublepost]
You're surprised by that? You know Tig, right?

Yes, because OnePlus runs one of the purest forms of Android. HTCs don't lag like iOS 11. Support is the best on the Pixel though.

Reactions: jpiszcz

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am surprised you're not including the OnePlus 6 or HTC U12+.

The iPhone 2018 and Pixel 3 are high on my list.

OnePlus 6, nah I'm done with OPO, sure they are good phones and all, and cool that they run a stock type Android OS, but that company is too shady for me and untrustworthy to give them my money again. And the HTC U12 ? I could care less for that phone, used to love HTC phones back when Sense UI was miles ahead of stock Android, but now I'll just go stock.

To be honest I see zero need now for non stock Android phones nowadays, with Google making stock Android so good on the Pixel's, that's the only Android phone that interests me, the way Android was meant to be, stock, pure vanilla. Sense, Touchwiz, etc.. just aren't needed today in my opinion. Right now I have the Pixel 2 XL, and if money was no issue, I wouldn't trade in my Pixel for anything else right now, why would I want a downgrade. The Galaxy S9, no thanks. The LG G7, nope. Those are zero upgrades to me over my Pixel 2 XL. What does a 2018 non stock Android phone offer me, over my 2017 stock Android phone ? Nothing.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Don't expect a FaceID hardware update because it took two years for a TouchID revision. FaceID software is supposed to get better with time. It was supposed to learn about hair and facial hair length too. Some glasses were supposed to work with FaceID and some aren't. I wouldn't get a new pair of glasses for a smartphone though. The idea of that sounds stupid. That's why TouchID should've still existed at the back underneath the Apple logo.
[doublepost=1523817812][/doublepost]

Yes, because OnePlus runs one of the purest forms of Android. HTCs don't lag like iOS 11. Support is the best on the Pixel though.
They run Oxygen OS. And HTC runs Sense. Sense, the last time I used it, was okay and HTC condoned rooting. But it's still a different look and feel from Google's Android. I just popped on over to the OnePlus forums and those folks weren't short of complaints and troubles with Oxygen OS.

If I were a pure Android afficianado I'd look at phones in the Android One program before One Plus. I have a soft spot in my heart for HTC so I would not rule them out but Sense did get in my way when I had it.

iOS can lag. It's not currently lagging or causing my 8 Plus any particular problems at the moment, but it does need some work. There have been some weird iMessage bugs. I hope Apple spends time cleaning it up this year.
[doublepost=1523819369][/doublepost]
OnePlus 6, nah I'm done with OPO, sure they are good phones and all, and cool that they run a stock type Android OS, but that company is too shady for me and untrustworthy to give them my money again. And the HTC U12 ? I could care less for that phone, used to love HTC phones back when Sense UI was miles ahead of stock Android, but now I'll just go stock.

To be honest I see zero need now for non stock Android phones nowadays, with Google making stock Android so good on the Pixel's, that's the only Android phone that interests me, the way Android was meant to be, stock, pure vanilla. Sense, Touchwiz, etc.. just aren't needed today in my opinion. Right now I have the Pixel 2 XL, and if money was no issue, I wouldn't trade in my Pixel for anything else right now, why would I want a downgrade. The Galaxy S9, no thanks. The LG G7, nope. Those are zero upgrades to me over my Pixel 2 XL. What does a 2018 non stock Android phone offer me, over my 2017 stock Android phone ? Nothing.
I gave you a thumbs up on this even though I'm using and loving my S9+ so far. But Sammy and I are on a trial basis this year. It and my Pixel 2, Snowball, will get equal time on my AT&T sim. If the S9+ can keep up in smoothness (not really speed because I've never seen anything as fast as Snowball) I will stay open to Samsung.

But overall, I have sort of a "been there, done that, no thanks" feeling for skinned versions of Android, too. It's a weird place for me to be right now. I gave Samsung another chance because I am a bit wary of Google trying to follow too closely on Apple's approach to stripping down hardware but charging high prices.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
They run Oxygen OS. And HTC runs Sense. Sense, the last time I used it, was okay and HTC condoned rooting. But it's still a different look and feel from Google's Android. I just popped on over to the OnePlus forums and those folks weren't short of complaints and troubles with Oxygen OS.

If I were a pure Android afficianado I'd look at phones in the Android One program before One Plus. I have a soft spot in my heart for HTC so I would not rule them out but Sense did get in my way when I had it.

iOS can lag. It's not currently lagging or causing my 8 Plus any particular problems at the moment, but it does need some work. There have been some weird iMessage bugs. I hope Apple spends time cleaning it up this year.

OxygenOS is still one of the purest forms though. HTC has its faults like other companies. Not enough manufacturers support Android One. Give me Android One software with the S9+ or Note 8 hardware and a working screen lol. I'll still look to go Pixel 3 or iPhone X though.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
OxygenOS is still one of the purest forms though. HTC has its faults like other companies. Not enough manufacturers support Android One. Give me Android One software with the S9+ or Note 8 hardware and a working screen lol. I'll still look to go Pixel 3 or iPhone X though.
Android One on an S9+ :eek: I'd love to try that. I'd miss some Samsung features but it would be fun to try.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I completely disagree that other versions of Android are not needed.
I like stock, but it’s kissing some features that make Samsung phones the choice over stock for a lot of users.

Even Huawei, whose skin is one of my least favourites has things that I like over stock.
At the end of the day it’s good to have choice.

I do like stock, but I wish there were more features baked within it so it didn’t feel quite so bare bones.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I completely disagree that other versions of Android are not needed.
I like stock, but it’s kissing some features that make Samsung phones the choice over stock for a lot of users.

Even Huawei, whose skin is one of my least favourites has things that I like over stock.
At the end of the day it’s good to have choice.

I do like stock, but I wish there were more features baked within it so it didn’t feel quite so bare bones.
can you imagine being able to completely remove an Android skin from a phone and just run stock android? Then have the ability to add it all back if you wanted too?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Been a bit since I've posted here... In my last posts I was having problems updating the monthly patches. Namely I couldn't update anymore no matter what boot image I reflashed so I've been stuck a couple months behind.

I think I might have realized what the problem is...

Magisk patches the dtbo file as well as the boot image (to get rid of the "there is a problem with the blah blah blah" upon boot) I never flashed the unmodified dtbo file along with the unpatched boot image from the factory images, so...

I wonder if this was the issue and solution to take OTA updates?

The question now is, do I even want to attempt to mess around with these hoops to see if that was the issue? Part of me don't even want to tinker to see anymore. The cat and mouse game to stay updated and rooted is getting old :(

Reactions: jamezr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Been a bit since I've posted here... In my last posts I was having problems updating the monthly patches. Namely I couldn't update anymore no matter what boot image I reflashed so I've been stuck a couple months behind.

I think I might have realized what the problem is...

Magisk patches the dtbo file as well as the boot image (to get rid of the "there is a problem with the blah blah blah" upon boot) I never flashed the unmodified dtbo file along with the unpatched boot image from the factory images, so...

I wonder if this was the issue and solution to take OTA updates?

The question now is, do I even want to attempt to mess around with these hoops to see if that was the issue? Part of me don't even want to tinker to see anymore. The cat and mouse game to stay updated and rooted is getting old :(

If you know me, I was a big time Rooter and ROM guy, always rooting my phones day one, every time. I did Root my Pixel 2 XL when I first got it in December, and installed the typical root apps like Titanium Backup, AdWay, Magisk, etc.. But updates were always a pain.

So for the first time, a month ago, I went back to stock non root, and using the paid version of AdGuard Pro + Samsung Browser, and you know what ? Updates are a piece of cake easy install now, and my phone honestly feels no different or worse, I dare say it might be a hair smoother now too.

Right now, not rooted, the phone feels smooth as butter and very fast.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If you know me, I was a big time Rooter and ROM guy, always rooting my phones day one, every time. I did Root my Pixel 2 XL when I first got it in December, and installed the typical root apps like Titanium Backup, AdWay, Magisk, etc.. But updates were always a pain.

So for the first time, a month ago, I went back to stock non root, and using the paid version of AdGuard Pro + Samsung Browser, and you know what ? Updates are a piece of cake easy install now, and my phone honestly feels no different or worse, I dare say it might be a hair smoother now too.

Right now, not rooted, the phone feels smooth as butter and very fast.
:eek:Who are you and what have you done with Tig Bitties?!:p

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
When listening to Spotify using the Pixel 2 XL, I can't skip songs using the steering wheel controls in my 2016 BMW. Yes both cars have the latest software. In my 2017 Skoda which also supports Android Auto, I don't have the same problem. :(

Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
When listening to Spotify using the Pixel 2 XL, I can't skip songs using the steering wheel controls in my 2016 BMW. Yes both cars have the latest software. In my 2017 Skoda which also supports Android Auto, I don't have the same problem. :(

Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Man first world problems suck, don't they.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The next beta for Android P is due in early May, and they say the second release is normally less buggy and more stable then the first release of each new build.

I didn't install the first release, but thinking I will on the new one. Very excited to try it out. And the new one will be easier to install, will be on the beta download updates.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The next beta for Android P is due in early May, and they say the second release is normally less buggy and more stable then the first release of each new build.

I didn't install the first release, but thinking I will on the new one. Very excited to try it out. And the new one will be easier to install, will be on the beta download updates.
Those are my plans too....wait for the public beta that I can get via OTA.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Yeah,I will be too. Especially since it's an easy OTA to get to P and easy OTA to get back to O if you want

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Giving it another go and see if my dtbo and boot image theory works. Meaning I unrooted, reflashed the stock boot image and stock dtbo image and will see if this is enough to allow me to take an OTA... fingers crossed :confused:

And naturally it failed. Im done

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Got them crossed...

safety-violation-could-falland-pierce-an-organ-fingers-crossed-%F0%9F%98%82-11016864.png

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Of course it failed and of course giving up didn't last too long. Trying one more time to flash the images to the active partition (b) and see if that works. I am highly skeptical. I think something in my system got borked. Or maybe both slots need to be flashed with the same images?

---

And it failed as well. Getting adaway and Magisk settled back in. I am a bit bummed, it could be something I am missing or something in the system got borked.

So... Toss a rom on it?
Leave as is?
Try to flash back to stock (and shut up about rooting? - which I would likely tinker anyway)

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Of course it failed and of course giving up didn't last too long. Trying one more time to flash the images to the active partition (b) and see if that works. I am highly skeptical. I think something in my system got borked. Or maybe both slots need to be flashed with the same images?

---

And it failed as well. Getting adaway and Magisk settled back in. I am a bit bummed, it could be something I am missing or something in the system got borked.

So... Toss a rom on it?
Leave as is?
Try to flash back to stock (and shut up about rooting? - which I would likely tinker anyway)
I used this one to OEM unlock and re-lock the bootloader as well as flash roms. Then used it to make it like stock again.

https://skipsoft.net/skipsoft-unified-android-toolkit/

Reactions: slitherjef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.