Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
While I am at pixel peeping :p I've noticed pertaining to the charging issue that if I plug the phone in "cold" the charging time estimate is very long like hours. By cold I mean like first thing in the morning after the device was sleeping for a couple hours.

So could be sleep (trickle charging) because the system has not woke up completely yet.

Not sure on this theory however but it's kinda what I've noticed.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas

Attachments

• 5E301BE6-4D84-4843-9823-BD2A44F2443A.jpeg
    5E301BE6-4D84-4843-9823-BD2A44F2443A.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Yup. Not switching from my iPhone (yet...;)) but really want to explore it once again, especially the Assistant as I have Google Home devices scattered around the house, an Nvidia Shield TV, Android Auto in my new car, use Google Play Music and a bunch of other Google services.

I’ve really enjoyed android auto. I like the UI better than CarPlay. The only thing driving me crazy, and it does drive me crazy, is podcasts losing their place. It is random, but happens multiple times a week.

I’ll stop the truck to get gas or food, etc. and when I get back in, the podcast will start in the wrong spot. I hope they fix that bug.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Yup. Not switching from my iPhone (yet...;)) but really want to explore it once again, especially the Assistant as I have Google Home devices scattered around the house, an Nvidia Shield TV, Android Auto in my new car, use Google Play Music and a bunch of other Google services.

You and I are pretty similar. I’m all Google all the time when it comes to everything but my phone. Having an iPhone just doesn’t make sense to me. But I keep using one. I use Rokus and Chromecasts in my house. Have three Google Homes. Use Gmail, YouTube Red, Google Play Music, Keep, Waze, etc. Pretty much everything Google. I’m thinking I probably should use an Android phone. My car also has Android Auto (and CarPlay).

Every time I think about just using Apple I get REALLY claustrophobic.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am really enjoying using my Pixel 2 XL. It is still just as buttery smooth as day one. I find sometimes I get bored with it because it does everything so well :). The whole user experience is just so well thought out. A great blend of software and hardware. Then that camera never disappoints!

The Arizona sunset last night!

540120f6d965498fd598864ae5dff425.jpg

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I am really enjoying using my Pixel 2 XL. It is still just as buttery smooth as day one. I find sometimes I get bored with it because it does everything so well :). The whole user experience is just so well thought out. A great blend of software and hardware. Then that camera never disappoints!

Incredible pic!!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I’ve really enjoyed android auto. I like the UI better than CarPlay. The only thing driving me crazy, and it does drive me crazy, is podcasts losing their place. It is random, but happens multiple times a week.

I’ll stop the truck to get gas or food, etc. and when I get back in, the podcast will start in the wrong spot. I hope they fix that bug.

CarPlay has been working really well, surprising, considering all the griping I see online about it. It has Pocket Casts, Audible, and even Google Play Music. The only app I’m missing, and it’s a biggie, is Waze. But so far Apple Maps has actually worked quite well. I really want to try Android Auto for Waze though.
[doublepost=1524846672][/doublepost]
You and I are pretty similar. I’m all Google all the time when it comes to everything but my phone. Having an iPhone just doesn’t make sense to me. But I keep using one. I use Rokus and Chromecasts in my house. Have three Google Homes. Use Gmail, YouTube Red, Google Play Music, Keep, Waze, etc. Pretty much everything Google. I’m thinking I probably should use an Android phone. My car also has Android Auto (and CarPlay).

Every time I think about just using Apple I get REALLY claustrophobic.

I use a ton of Google but there are a few keys areas that still make a switch over to Android for my phone unlikely.

1). Apple Watch. There is nothing compatible with Android that works better for me. I’ve used Wear (Android) OS on a couple different watches and it just pales in comparison. Same goes for Samsung and what I need on my watch. This alone is likely the reason I’ll stay with an iPhone for my primary line.

2). HomeKit. While its requirements mean there are fewer smart home device choices, its implemention is a much better user experience, IMO. I love having a central hub with everything available at a touch.

3). Apps. There are a handful of apps that either I prefer the iOS versions or just don’t exist on Android. Safari is a big one—still my favorite mobile browser, especially on an iPad.

4). Family device management. Family sharing on iOS is better than the equivalent from Google. My wife and kids all use Apple gear so leaving the iPhone behind means a big compromise in this regard

5). Apple Messages. Yes, I’m in this camp. The overwhelming majority of my regular contacts use iPhones so, we’ll, you know. ;) Not gonna beat this horse any more.

All that being said, I like to keep a foot in both camps and revisit whether I can contemplate the switch because there are things I’d like to have that are missing on iOS. So we’ll see how this goes. :D

Last edited:

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
CarPlay has been working really well, surprising, considering all the griping I see online about it. It has Pocket Casts, Audible, and even Google Play Music. The only app I’m missing, and it’s a biggie, is Waze. But so far Apple Maps has actually worked quite well. I really want to try Android Auto for Waze though.
[doublepost=1524846672][/doublepost]

I use a ton of Google but there are a few keys areas that still make a switch over to Android for my phone unlikely.

1). Apple Watch. There is nothing compatible with Android that works better for me. I’ve used Wear (Android) OS on a couple different warches and it just pales in comparison. Same goes for Samsung and what I need on my watch. This alone is likely the reason I’ll stay with an iPhone for my primary line.

2). HomeKit. While its requirements mean there are fewer smart home device choices, it’s implemention is a much better user experience, IMO. I love having a central hub with everything available at a touch.

3). Apps. There are a handful of apps that either I prefer the iOS versions or just don’t exist on Android. Safari is a big one—still my favorite mobile browser, especially on an iPad.

4). Family device management. Family sharing on iOS is better than the equivalent from Google. My wife and kids all use Apple gear so leaving the iPhone behind means a big compromise in this regard

5). Apple Messages. Yes, I’m in this camp. The overwhelming majority of my regular contacts use iPhones so, we’ll, you know. ;) Not gonna beat this horse any more.

All that being said, I like to keep a foot in both camps and revisit whether I can contemplate the switch because there a things I’d like to have that are missing on iOS. So we’ll see how this goes. :D

Oh, I completely understand what you're saying, too. I'm most likely not leaving Apple for very similar reasons. I've tried to leave iOS since December of 2015 and have failed every single time. Once I play with Android and realize the ecosystem isn't quite as cohesive; or the apps look cheap; or a picture from an iPhone comes into my Android phone and looks like garbage; or an issue arises and I have to deal with some company based outside of the US, I just can't do it and go back to Apple. Even though it isn't as cohesive as Google apps on Android, I still have ALL of my Google apps on iOS and get the benefits of iOS, too.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

Root it then try to take updates and there goes your slight boredom lol :p

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Root it then try to take updates and there goes your slight boredom lol :p
lol...i did have it rooted and BL unlocked to test out the fist Android P release. But fortunately I didn't have any issues restoring to stock and locking the BL again. Hopefully when the May patches are released it will take the OTA....knock on wood! :eek:

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Pixel 2/2XL is a fun experience. It’s a shame the release was tainted by so many q.c. issues but at the same time the fact that all resulted in an extended 2 year warranty was like cookies from Heaven as far as I’m concerned. I can confidently hang onto this phone and get a lot of enjoyment and my money’s worth out of it for two years and then trade in when the warranty is done. Or keep it for the kids.

It’s perfect for what I use it for. It’s now taken the place of my iPhone SE as the phone I’ll pop my sim into when I need something small and portable.

Actually it might have to take the sim I dedicate to my iPhones. Because apparently on the Android, the services we get from AT&T seem to require that we submit to AT&T control over our Samsungs and the phones we use on the lines we opened when we bought the two Note 7’s on BOGO.

I thought I could just swap my sim from my Samsungs to the Pixel 2 and back again with impunity but apparently we got shut out of security updates somehow when we took the sims out of our S8 Pluses and put them into Pixels and then tried to go back to AT&T controlled Samsungs again. I was on an unlocked S7 for awhile and didn’t have issues but...I don’t know...I guess we will find out for sure what happened when my husband gets a chance to speak to AT&T.

We have run into problems before with features that stopped working because we switched sims without going through channels with AT&T and opening ourselves up to being charged fees.

That may be the thing that really keeps us tied to iOS: the stranglehold AT&T maintains over Android devices. Apple currently is like a cat, very independent of what the carriers try to impose. Android phones are like dogs on a short leash.

We could go on unlocked Androids but would miss out on iPhone-like features we can currently only get on carrier branded Androids.

Reactions: jamezr

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm still pondering a Nexus 6 / galaxy s7e replacement. Not sure if I'd do another pixel for either device. The low volume and no mixer_paths to edit really kind of is a deal breaker

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm still pondering a Nexus 6 / galaxy s7e replacement. Not sure if I'd do another pixel for either device. The low volume and no mixer_paths to edit really kind of is a deal breaker
Do you ever find yourself wishing Nexus was still a thing? I never owned a Nexus phone but my husband had a Nexus tablet I got to use for awhile. It was smooth like butter. It was a wonderful size and weight and nice overall. It needed just a little more refinement. It lasted years and made it to Marshmallow. I keep hearing so many people are still using Nexus phones. Google must have had a good thing going with it.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Do you ever find yourself wishing Nexus was still a thing? I never owned a Nexus phone but my husband had a Nexus tablet I got to use for awhile. It was smooth like butter. It was a wonderful size and weight and nice overall. It needed just a little more refinement. It lasted years and made it to Marshmallow. I keep hearing so many people are still using Nexus phones. Google must have had a good thing going with it.

Yeah, I still wish the Nexus 5 still existed. They where very fragile and I broke 2 of them, one shortly after I got it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I’ve owned a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 7 tablet (1st and 2nd gen). Of all of those, the second gen 7 was easily my favorite—-in fact, still have it on a wireless charger in the family room to use solely as a source to cast video content to my Nvidia Shield TV. Had some chunky bezels but the plastic was a nice grippy soft touch, was pocketable and as mentioned, had wireless charging.

For me personally, all of the phones were forgettable. Yes, they generally were cheaper than their respective flagship counterparts but they all offered compromised experiences, IMO. None of the cameras were very good, nor the displays and battery life was generally lacking as well. I much more prefer the 2 generations of Pixels vs. any of the Nexus phones.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Okay it sounds like Google went on a better track with the Pixels, then. I never owned their phones but so many people across various forums keep waxing nostalgic about them. I had to wonder.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Nexus 4 was my favorite android phone ever. It felt magical. The camera sucked but something about that phone was awesome. The build of it just was great compared to the rest of android phones at the time. The 5 was second and had a decent camera for its time.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I realise it is heresy on our little subsect of this forum, but... could stick with this Pixel 2 XL for - duh, duh, DUHHHH - OVER A YEAR.

Got a great deal, love the camera, seem to have a good unit and it may not be perfect but it does everything I need well. Basically a Nexus with the best camera.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I realise it is heresy on our little subsect of this forum, but... could stick with this Pixel 2 XL for - duh, duh, DUHHHH - OVER A YEAR.

Got a great deal, love the camera, seem to have a good unit and it may not be perfect but it does everything I need well. Basically a Nexus with the best camera.

Yeah, for all the nostalgic love all over the internet for Nexus devices, IMO both generations of Pixels are far better devices than anything Nexus related. You get what you pay for. My Pixel 2 feels far better built and is a much better performer, especially in regards to battery life and camera.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Yeah, for all the nostalgic love all over the internet for Nexus devices, IMO both generations of Pixels are far better devices than anything Nexus related. You get what you pay for. My Pixel 2 feels far better built and is a much better performer, especially in regards to battery life and camera.

How is that Pixel treating you? Is it enough to pull you from iOS yet? I’m still on the fence of ditching my iPhone for an Android device.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How is that Pixel treating you? Is it enough to pull you from iOS yet? I’m still on the fence of ditching my iPhone for an Android device.

Pixel is very nice but no temptation to leave iOS and honestly, didn’t expect it to. There are just many more things on iOS that I either prefer or just can’t part with.

To name just a few:

My iOS email client is better than anything I’ve tried on Android. Safari is still my preferred browser. I like 1Password better on iOS. More of my preferred apps utilize the FPS on iOS. All of my smart home gadgets are HomeKit compatible and their integration in the Home app with its expanded native functionality is better than how it’s handled on Android. A bit surprisingly I’ve found CarPlay to be a better experience than Android Auto, even without Waze. My family all uses Apple gear and management of their gear and accounts is much easier when I’m also using an iPhone. And as mentioned, nothing available can replace my Apple Watch.

The only thing on Android that’s really captured my interest is the Assistant but she's not nearly enough to pull me away. And even on iOS I can sufficiently interact with her to manage my Google Home devices and Android TV.

I’m keeping it just to play around with and stay current on the latest offerings from Google and Android. I also will likely be putting the camera through it’s paces. If anything, the Pixel will likely be my go to shooter for anything other than a quickly needed snap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.