Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180508-133320.png
    Screenshot_20180508-133320.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 178

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am downloading the P DP2 now, and it will install. I am stock not rooted or anything.

Is there a way to make this a fresh clean install without having TWRP or root ?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I cannot wait for gestures. Let’s me know how you are all getting on with the beta. I want to know if it’s buggy or unstable before installing.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I cannot wait for gestures. Let’s me know how you are all getting on with the beta. I want to know if it’s buggy or unstable before installing.

so far it's been smooth and stable for me, but give me 24-hours with it or so.

At first use, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the gesture to bring up multitasking panes. And the reason is, it takes two swipes now to open my app drawer instead of one (when using the Pixel launcher). First swipe up brings up recently used apps and then another swipe up brings up the app drawer. A slow (feels almost too slow) swipe up will get my my app drawer in one motion though.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
so far it's been smooth and stable for me, but give me 24-hours with it or so.

At first use, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the gesture to bring up multitasking panes. And the reason is, it takes two swipes now to open my app drawer instead of one (when using the Pixel launcher). First swipe up brings up recently used apps and then another swipe up brings up the app drawer. A slow (feels almost too slow) swipe up will get my my app drawer in one motion though.

Hmm. I am quite addicted to speed and don’t like anything that slows down the user experience. I don’t even bother with face unlock as it requires pressing the power button, looking at the phone and then swiping it. The finger print reader is simply a lot faster.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hey...I know have battery percentage on the AOD screen at the bottom on Android P beta

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
How do you find the gestures @jamezr? You werent a fan of them on iOS grom memory so intrigued on your thoughts with Android P :).

My early look at them from vids and they don't impress me all that much. I am personally not a fan of that line and triangle at the bottom of the screen, and swiping twice to get to the app drawer is a backwards step. Someone said you can long swipe once for the app drawer still though?

Interesting, anyway.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How do you find the gestures @jamezr? You werent a fan of them on iOS grom memory so intrigued on your thoughts with Android P :).

My early look at them from vids and they don't impress me all that much. I am personally not a fan of that line and triangle at the bottom of the screen, and swiping twice to get to the app drawer is a backwards step. Someone said you can long swipe once for the app drawer still though?

Interesting, anyway.
I haven't tried the gestures yet. I haven't enabled them. So for me Android P runs like O did as far as swiping to get to the app drawer.

Reactions: Aneres11

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So... With the new gestures, who is going to end up swiping their phone onto the floor :eek:o_O

I'm torn right now to flash back to unrooted stock so I can take OTA and updates.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Not a fan thus far of Android P. Feels like a weird compromise between Oreo and iOS 11 on the X. The two swipes up to get to the app drawer is not a great choice.

I love gestures on the X but Apple needed to implement them in order to replace a physical button. Android solved that problem a long time ago. Not sure what they’re trying to “fix” with this implementation.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
A lot of Google I/O was impressive.

Google AI is no joke. Some of the things it was doing wowed me.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Okay I'm on official stock Android P DP2. I used the OTA over stock Android 8.1.

Been on it a few hours and to be honest I can't really see or notice much of a difference at all. Except visually looks worse, as in cheesy Settings design, and the drop down quick tiles look sort of lame. I liked Oreo's look better, it seemed moreconsistent if maybe too white though.

Maybe Android P is more about behind the scenes under the hood fixes and updates ?

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I haven't used it but feel like two swipes to get to the app drawer is a step back. I'm impressed with some of the stuff that Google showcased today, but I hope this is something that they alter in a later release.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Okay I'm on official stock Android P DP2. I used the OTA over stock Android 8.1.

Been on it a few hours and to be honest I can't really see or notice much of a difference at all. Except visually looks worse, as in cheesy Settings design, and the drop down quick tiles look sort of lame. I liked Oreo's look better, it seemed moreconsistent if maybe too white though.

Maybe Android P is more about behind the scenes under the hood fixes and updates ?

My guess is that P is mainly going to be about Material Design 2.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I haven't used it but feel like two swipes to get to the app drawer is a step back. I'm impressed with some of the stuff that Google showcased today, but I hope this is something that they alter in a later release.
Can't you just sort of "long" swipe up to get to the app drawer?
A short swipe for recent apps and a long one for the app drawer.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have taken the plunge and downloaded the beta and here are my findings:

Gestures

Camera shortcut: Double pressing the power button opens the camera app. This is a huge win as I'm going on holiday this month. It is a feature I wanted as waking up the phone and swiping up for the camera app makes it inconvenient to snap spontaneously.

Notification shortcut: Swipe down on the finger print reader to reveal notifications. This is handy for glancing using one handed operation.

Home:

Swipe up from any app to reveal a tray of 5 chosen by AI based on usages or currently open. Swipe again to reveal app drawer.

Swipe up from the home screen to reveal the above. However, a long swipe up from the home screen reveals the app drawer.

My opinion: The long swipe or double swipe doesn't bother me as your most frequently apps will either be on your home screen or present themselves at the right moment on tray of 5 apps chosen by AI.

Look and feel

Legibility: Font is slightly thicker in notification and makes small text much more legible at a glance. This gets a big thumbs up from me.

Quick settings: Blue icons on white background is a clean look.

Settings: Coloured symbol adds a bit of warmth and character.

Notifications: When the screen is off notifications now appear in the middle of the phone and larger with the time above and battery percentage at the bottom of the phone. It's very neat.

Wish list
  • Kill the back button by enable us to swipe back like on the iPhone X.
  • Finger print unlock is no longer instant but takes 0.5 seconds. It's likely a software optimisation issue that will be sorted.
  • Google assistant occasionally crash, however this is a beta so some bugs and performance quirks are expected.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.