Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Ugh...starting to get screen flashing when I lock. WHY IS THE QUALITY CONTROL SOOOO EFFIN BAD ON THIS PHONE, GOOGLE? I do not want to have to return/exchange AGAIN. Crap.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
How has the Pixel 2 aged?
Well so far, so good on mine. I got mine in January and have used it at the beach and in the snow while sledding. It’s in a Pixel fabric case and both the case and the phone have held up nicely. I have a Supershieldz tempered glass display protector on it. Battery life seems to be holding steady. No slowdowns on apps, yet.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Ugh...starting to get screen flashing when I lock. WHY IS THE QUALITY CONTROL SOOOO EFFIN BAD ON THIS PHONE, GOOGLE? I do not want to have to return/exchange AGAIN. Crap.
Google couldn't care less about it. Long thread in their support forums going strong since October. RMA replacements still suffer from it. Really too bad. Great phone otherwise.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've owned Google phone's going back to the Nexus-One, and yes they have had hardware issues and bugs, but I would still take a flaky Nexus or Pixel phone any day of the week over perfect Samsung Galaxy or an iPhone. I hate Lagwiz, and iOS lol no frigging way, iPhone sucks.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I've owned Google phone's going back to the Nexus-One, and yes they have had hardware issues and bugs, but I would still take a flaky Nexus or Pixel phone any day of the week over perfect Samsung Galaxy or an iPhone. I hate Lagwiz, and iOS lol no frigging way, iPhone sucks.
Love my S9, probably my favorite Android so far. I get frame drops when running the display at WQHD+ but not at the default FHD+. Feature-wise it is such a complete package vs. Pixel. Don't get me wrong, I would've kept the Pixel 2 and 2XL if all the issues got resolved, but Google just sucks and doesn't address anything / takes months to acknowledge issues promising a fix "in the coming weeks."

I really hope Google nails it with the Pixel 3. I will buy it regardless and just return it if it has issues.

Reactions: nviz22 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It depends on what kind of flakiness we are talking about. iPhone is a plain Jane these days. I don’t see it excelling at anything sexy. The cameras are okay. The sound is okay. The call quality and overall functionality is barely okay on most models and okay on the X in my experience. The software is okay, definitely not what it has been in better days. But I’ve yet to have an iPhone flake out so badly I couldn’t rely on it. So it’s still my go-to device in situations where I’m not wanting to mess with unknown quirks and I want a phone I know will work. It gets the job done.

So I wouldn’t say it sucks. Sucks is a phone that craps out on you and leaves you stranded.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
It depends on what kind of flakiness we are talking about. iPhone is a plain Jane these days. I don’t see it excelling at anything sexy. The cameras are okay. The sound is okay. The call quality and overall functionality is barely okay on most models and okay on the X in my experience. The software is okay, definitely not what it has been in better days. But I’ve yet to have an iPhone flake out so badly I couldn’t rely on it. So it’s still my go-to device in situations where I’m not wanting to mess with unknown quirks and I want a phone I know will work. It gets the job done.

So I wouldn’t say it sucks. Sucks is a phone that craps out on you and leaves you stranded.

Exactly. iOS is boring and isn’t light years ahead of anything else anymore. But I’ve also never had it seriously flake out on me. It’s super reliable. So I could never say it sucks.

Now my wife has had her S8 COMPLETELY lock up on her multiple times forcing her to do a soft reset, and at times when she needed it. That, to me, sucks. I’d rather have a boring phone with no issues. It’s a tool for my every day life with my family.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Saying the iPhone is ‘ok’ is definitely kinda nail on head.

However I still think the build quality and hardware (X) is better than virtually everything else Android.

Also, Safari is an exemplary browser (for me) which the same can’t be said for Chrome. Only Samsung Browser is worth using on Android.

I also find most apps are just better on iPhone. Facebook, Instagram etc. Which are heavily used apps for me really.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Exactly. iOS is boring and isn’t light years ahead of anything else anymore. But I’ve also never had it seriously flake out on me. It’s super reliable. So I could never say it sucks.

Now my wife has had her S8 COMPLETELY lock up on her multiple times forcing her to do a soft reset, and at times when she needed it. That, to me, sucks. I’d rather have a boring phone with no issues. It’s a tool for my every day life with my family.
My husband had two apps go "rogue" on his S8+ at work one day and completely drained the battery down. He was taken by surprise but fortunately had his charger on hand. Had that happened on a hike or day trip out with the family it would have been a disaster.

So far we've had great stability on our S9 Pluses and my Pixel 2. This is my second Pixel 2, however. The first was returned due to defective hardware apparent in the video application. My husband had his Pixel 2 XL only during the return period and the hardware experience was a disappointment for him.

We are both hoping Google and their newly acquired HTC staff really knock it out of the ballpark for the Pixel 3. We likely will still be sitting the Pixel 3 out, but only because we have a very fulfilling experience with our S9+ so far. And my Pixel 2 is more fun than a barrel full of Porgs. :D No, the display is not good enough to watch video on because the black crush is atrocious. But it does everything else I need it to do very well.

Reactions: Wildo6882

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I have had similar experiences with IOS and my iPhone 8 Plus and picked up X too. Face ID lags too many times. It gets thrown off when I have a hat on or sunglasses on. Then the gestures IOS uses on the X to make for not having a home or back button add extra steps

Reactions: 5105973

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have had similar experiences with IOS and my iPhone 8 Plus and picked up X too. Face ID lags too many times. It gets thrown off when I have a hat on or sunglasses on. Then the gestures IOS uses on the X to make for not having a home or back button add extra steps

Well, might then need to brace yourself for some similar change on Android.

Still early of course but seems to at least have caught Google’s eye as a possibility.

Reactions: jamezr

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Samsung browser on my Pixel 2 XL with AdAway is the best smartphone web viewing experience I've had.

Samsung is now my primary browser for adblock, features and conveniences but Chrome is still better for rendering all sites. Safari is 3rd class.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Still early of course but seems to at least have caught Google’s eye as a possibility.

I saw that and it is interesting to say the least. But Google and android will still have the software home and back buttons. Then there are enough android OEMs to keep the buttons alive. But enabling support for gestures is not the same thing as what IOS does.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Hmm it's strange as I personally think removing the home button and adding gestures was the best thing to happen to iPhone in a while. Apart from llthe loss of Touch ID with it, but that's another tale.

To be able to easily switch between open apps by just swiping across the bottom is really fluid. The same with going back, just swiping from the left is an action I always find myself trying to do on my Android device, particularly if im using a larger phone.

And having the tap the top of the screen to go back to the top of a webpage or app is forever the best feature ever which Android really lacks.

The only thing I think does need working it, is killing open apps which is now an additional step. That aside I think these gestures have gone some way to make the lack of home button actually feel much better. But each to their own.

My issue with Android buttons is that they're never uniform. I love the Pixel ones, I like the design of them, but the Samsung ones and old school Huawei stock ones look crap. I know these can be changed (?) but I've found it difficult to do it previously.
Kinda why I love this Huawei so much. I can get rid of them and just do it all from the fingerprint scanner, which has become one of my favourite things about the phone.

Just my two cents. :)

Reactions: 5105973 and tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hmm it's strange as I personally think removing the home button and adding gestures was the best thing to happen to iPhone in a while. Apart from llthe loss of Touch ID with it, but that's another tale.

To be able to easily switch between open apps by just swiping across the bottom is really fluid. The same with going back, just swiping from the left is an action I always find myself trying to do on my Android device, particularly if im using a larger phone.

And having the tap the top of the screen to go back to the top of a webpage or app is forever the best feature ever which Android really lacks.

The only thing I think does need working it, is killing open apps which is now an additional step. That aside I think these gestures have gone some way to make the lack of home button actually feel much better. But each to their own.

My issue with Android buttons is that they're never uniform. I love the Pixel ones, I like the design of them, but the Samsung ones and old school Huawei stock ones look crap. I know these can be changed (?) but I've found it difficult to do it previously.
Kinda why I love this Huawei so much. I can get rid of them and just do it all from the fingerprint scanner, which has become one of my favourite things about the phone.

Just my two cents. :)
But other than them not having a uniform look to them between OEMs....the functionality is still there. Then the back button is in the same place and can be customized to be where ever you would like it to be. I have mine in the lower left hand side. In IOS i have to reach to the top left hand corner to go back. Not as easy as the lower left hand corner where my thumb can navigate it rather easily. I find myself having to use 2 hands a lot of the time in IOS. Where as in Android I use one hand most of the time for the same functions.
I picked up an unlocked iphone X last week at the Apple store
The recents and closing apps is not very intuitive on the X. I find myself using 2 hands more on the X than my 8 plus.
Face ID lags and doesn't recognize my face when outdoors or i have sunglasses on. Then i have to swipe again again to get to my homescreen. Another annoyance is text messages on the X.....why don't they show the message in the notification like on my 8 plus? Another extra step to open the message.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
But other than them not having a uniform look to them between OEMs....the functionality is still there. Then the back button is in the same place and can be customized to be where ever you would like it to be. I have mine in the lower left hand side. In IOS i have to reach to the top left hand corner to go back. Not as easy as the lower left hand corner where my thumb can navigate it rather easily. I find myself having to use 2 hands a lot of the time in IOS. Where as in Android I use one hand most of the time for the same functions.
The recents and closing apps is not very intuitive on the X. I find myself using 2 hands more on the X than my 8 plus.
Face ID lags and doesn't recognize my face when outdoors or i have sunglasses on. Then i have to swipe again again to get to my homescreen. Another annoyance is text messages on the X.....why don't they show the message in the notification like on my 8 plus? Another extra step to open the message.

That’s funny that you say you use two hands with your X more. I feel the same way. It’s like it’s a small gigantic phone. But then when I’m watching media on it, it’s a small phone. I much prefer the control center on a swipe up from the bottom, too. Which is actually why I’m selling my X and going with an 8 Plus. I’m hopeful that Apple will see some of the things they’ve done with the X make it MUCH less intuitive. Some things are great, like the switching to recent apps. But some just make no sense at all!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Do you not swipe from the left hand side of the screen to go back on iOS? That, for me, is easier than reaching down for a back button on Android.
Reaching up to the top left to go back is not needed at all.

Re messages on the lock screen, I thought there was an option to choose whether you want content to show or not? I don't use iMessage so I can't really comment on that, but notifications on iOS are terrible all round.

With Face ID, I think it's 98% great. I personally have never had it not recognise my face, whether it's pitch black, I've got glasses on, or broad daylight. But that's not to say your issues are not happening - everyone's experience is different.

If it weren't for the 8 being just that but too small, and the Plus being that bit too big, I probably would have gone with one of those over an X, but I love the form factor and size too much to go back to a design that is really showing its age now.

Reactions: tbayrgs

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Worst phone I ever owned was the LG G2X, an old T-Mobile exclusive phone. It would lag every time and the phone couldn't even function with texts or YouTube. They needed Gingerbread to come out. LG never released it.

I am willing to give Sony a shot, but not at their current prices. If I am spending $650+, it better be as good as the S9 in terms of hardware.

Samsung gives me rough times. Ironically I have friends and family that love theirs. Idk why though because I want to use their hardware and software.

I would repair the screen, but it's not worth the hassle for a $750 phone that's only a couple days old.

I'll move on and await the next strong crop of Androids.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
To me 2018 is only about two phone relesses, the Pixel 3 XL #1 and the iPhone X2 Plus ( or whatever it will be named ) #2.

All other phones are meaningless to me, zero point in them. If you like Android, then stock is the ONLY way to go, and get the Google phone. And if you like iOS then the iPhone X2.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

:eek:I'm probably overreacting after spending days calming down angsty teenagers stuck in the middle of an avalanche of projects. But arrrrrggggghhhhhh.

I don't mind innovation. But I am tired of constantly adjusting to new things that are new just for the sake of being new. I don't blame the manufacturers. They are just listening to us all whine when things don't change.

I'm just going to go sit in my rocking chair, pull a shawl over my shoulders and hug my current phones closer. Removers of headphone jacks, obliterators of home buttons, removers of Touch ID, Evil Notches, Get off my lawn!

Gestures. Hmph. I've got a gesture for you.

See, I AM a GRUMP! ;)

In other rantings, I'm so so so so so tired of seeing Google copy Apple like some little sibling that has to do everything the big sibling does. On the other hand, if they're too different, it is tougher on people like me who like to use both. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.