Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Rumored Pixel 2 XL compared to original Pixel:

DEjnUpXXkAIS-b5.jpg

I’m not thrilled with the slightly larger footprint of the XL2, honestly. I love the design of the XL2, but I wish they’d go the route of some of the other manufacturers by using the smaller bezel tech to reduce the overall footprint of the phone itself. If these comparison sizes are accurate then it’ll be one of the physically largest major flagship updates of 2017. iPhone 8 said to shrink bezels while maintaining screen real estate of the Plus. Samsung did it with the S8 and S8+. LG did it with the G6.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
I hope they offer different colors with the black bezel in the front instead of white.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, and we have to learn to remember that measurements for these new aspect ratios have to be read differently.

The 5.9" screen of the new Pixel will most likely (I cba to do the exact math atm, have this summed up in an old post somewhere) mean a SMALLER screen area than that of the 5.7" 6P screen.

Just like the 5.7" G6 screen of the SOUNDS bigger than for example that of the iPhone 5.5", but in effect has a SMALLER screen area.

The whole thing kind of irks me because companies are able to use the 2:1 ratio diagonal measurement to trick people into thinking they're putting a larger screen in a smaller phone. Personally I don't love the 2:1 format so from now on I go by screen width measurement, and consider whatever protrudes from the 16:9 rectangle "extra bits". :p

So yeah. A 5.9" screen Pixel would have a screen essentially and practically with the same screen area as the 5.7" 6P screen. If the width turns out to be smaller than the latter, I'll be disappointed. Very happy that they're going for a flat screen though. And that render looks sumptuous I gotta say, hoping that's the look they're actually going for.

I know some people really like the new screen ratio, and when I finally end up switching, maybe I will too. Either way, I have little doubt that much of the motivation was, as you say, to trick people into thinking they're getting a larger screen then they really are.
[doublepost=1499958853][/doublepost]I'm hoping to get some kind of confirmation soon about design of the non-XL Pixel. If it truly is not going to change much from the original (including same massive top and bottom bezels), I'm likely to go ahead and upgrade my S7 to the S8 sooner rather than later.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
@MRU Even if Google themselves haven't said they're getting serious into the hardware business, they're still charging premium prices for smartphones.

If the regular Pixel remains largely unchanged this year, yet still charges premium pricing, that would be a lousy move on Google's part. It would be salt on the wound.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Google will knock it out of the park with the XL2.

Worth remembering there are 3 months of rumours ahead so I'd take the "regular Pixel 2 staying the same" stuff with a pinch of salt.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Worth remembering there are 3 months of rumours ahead so I'd take the "regular Pixel 2 staying the same" stuff with a pinch of salt.

I sincerely hope those rumors change over the next three months.

Reactions: jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Not if you can't actually get your hands on the phone. Every year we think "this is the year it won't be impossible to get a Nexus/Pixel at launch"...and then it's not the year.

Reactions: tbayrgs

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Really nice, but I don't understand why Google might not apply these changes to the smaller Pixel.

Like Apple (if their rumors pan out), Google will only offer one option and one size with the latest features and designs. Apple with the iPhone 8 (aka Edition/Pro) and Google with the Pixel 2 XL. Apple will only have a small phone with the latest tech and features, while Google will only have a large phone with the latest tech and features.

Go figure.

Last edited:

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Really nice, but I don't understand why Google might not apply these changes to the smaller Pixel.

Like Apple (if their rumors pan out), Google will only offer one option and one size with the latest features and designs. Apple with the iPhone 8 (aka Edition/Pro) and Google with the Pixel 2 XL. Apple will only have a small phone with the latest tech and features, while Google will only have a large phone with the latest tech and features.

Go figure.

I really hope those rumors about the smaller one remaining largely unchanged are BS.

Reactions: Fernandez21

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Go figure.

I wonder if LG is making the XL and HTC is making the smaller version? I've heard rumors like that, but it seems very odd for Google to do that. Although that might explain things seeing how incredible the G6 turned out, and how lackluster and huge the bezels turn out on every HTC phone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wonder if LG is making the XL and HTC is making the smaller version? I've heard rumors like that, but it seems very odd for Google to do that. Although that might explain things seeing how incredible the G6 turned out, and how lackluster and huge the bezels turn out on every HTC phone.
It could also be that HTC could not keep up with the demand last time around too :) Then LG made a great phone in the G6 too so that should translate to a very nice Pixel XL2.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It'll be like the Nexus 5X and 6P all over again if Google only saves the premium and latest features for the larger model.

Again, just doesn't add up considering what they did with the Pixel. These are Google branded phones at premium price points. They should not be so different.

I really hope that's not what's in store for the smaller Pixel 2.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

These look great.

I really hope the feature differences between the two aren't vast. They should try their best to continue the tradition of no-compromise models, as was the case with the first generation Pixels.

Otherwise, it'd be like the Nexus 5X and 6P all over again.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

These look great.

I really hope the feature differences between the two aren't vast. They should try their best to continue the tradition of no-compromise models, as was the case with the first generation Pixels.

Otherwise, it'd be like the Nexus 5X and 6P all over again.
I wish they were releasing this next week!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wish they were releasing this next week!

If they follow a similar path to 2016 Pixel, even if they did release it next week - it'll likely be out of stock for 3 or 4 months anyway ;)

I just hope they get their **** together this year and have plenty of stock and actually release it in more than 5 countries ....

The supply logistics and regional release was nothing but a complete embarrassment and indictment for the one of the biggest internet companies in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.