Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
People say that Samsung software is disappointing but that can mean different things:

1) Does the software slow down compared to the Pixel? Yes, for sure.

2) Is Samsung's take on Android a far more mature offering with countless useful tweaks that stock Android simply doesn't have on Pixel? Yes.

One day I'll make a list of the best features of Samsung's software that the Pixel misses. Really basic/thoughtful things.

At the same time, Samsung misses on the core stuff. Like you can't turn on WiFi or turn it off without bypassing the lockscreen. No lockscreen text replies either. Stock messaging app is also pretty meh since it asks for default contact numbers repeatedly. Bixby takes up too many resources as well.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
At the same time, Samsung misses on the core stuff. Like you can't turn on WiFi or turn it off without bypassing the lockscreen. No lockscreen text replies either. Stock messaging app is also pretty meh since it asks for default contact numbers repeatedly. Bixby takes up too many resources as well.

Never noticed that one before! There are always frustrations with any take on Android.

We need to create a MacRumors custom ROM :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Or how they banjaxed 'OK Google' with phone (screen off) in standby.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
THAT is the thing that really cheeses my macaroni! :mad:

I love being able to wake my iPhone up by saying "Hey Siri". Siri is a bit daft and hard of hearing but this feature still has been great to have at times.

I want a similar ability with "Ok Google" on my Samsung. Maybe at some point Bixby will be the one I want to summon but right now it's Google.

Reactions: apolloa and MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

THAT is the thing that really cheeses my macaroni! :mad:

I love being able to wake my iPhone up by saying "Hey Siri". Siri is a bit daft and hard of hearing but this feature still has been great to have at times.

I want a similar ability with "Ok Google" on my Samsung. Maybe at some point Bixby will be the one I want to summon but right now it's Google.

Correction: Trained Voice worked the first time I tried it and now doesn't.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Correction: Trained Voice worked the first time I tried it and now doesn't.

"Ok, Google" (setup as a trusted voice and for smart lock) never has worked for me on the S8 lock screen. I've heard it works while plugged in? I haven't had it do it but maybe that's the one time it worked for you? meanwhile, my U11 works every time when I say "OK, Google" from the lock screen. It launches straight into Google Assistant waiting to respond to my request.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Honestly, the thing I miss the most from the Pixel is Google Photos and those unlimited backups.

[doublepost=1501513424][/doublepost]BTW, nice little trick from Chrome users, especially when you factor in the swipe left/right to switch between tabs.

howto-tl.jpg

Here's how to enable a bottom navigation bar in your Chrome browser (Android tutorial)

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I could literally kiss you.
This is the most amazing thing ever! Unsure why it isn't default / easily changed as an official option.

Thanks for posting!! :D

It's cool you can slide up, too, to go into browser/URL options. But the real beauty is swiping left/right for tabs -- I love this feature.

Once again, navigating around Android is just plain easier and faster.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It's cool you can slide up, too, to go into browser/URL options. But the real beauty is swiping left/right for tabs -- I love this feature.

Nice to see this as an option as I find navigation around the mobile version of Chrome the least enjoyable amongst major mobile browsers (Safari, Chrome, Samsung). That being said, I still find the overall experience better with Safari and Samsung's 'Internet' browser. I'm navigating forward and back far more often than switching tabs so having those swipe gestures for those actions in Safari is my preference. Also fewer steps to access bookmarks and the tap to return to the top in Safari is one of my favorite features.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Honestly, the thing I miss the most from the Pixel is Google Photos and those unlimited backups.

[doublepost=1501513424][/doublepost]BTW, nice little trick from Chrome users, especially when you factor in the swipe left/right to switch between tabs.

howto-tl.jpg

Here's how to enable a bottom navigation bar in your Chrome browser (Android tutorial)
you are freaking awesome huge hugs or kiss if girl makes the experience so much better

On topic:
It doesn't need much just an expandable storage slot and a LED, ip68 waterproof and it will be the best phone so far.

I'm sure the performance will be awesome

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Nice to see this as an option as I find navigation around the mobile version of Chrome the least enjoyable amongst major mobile browsers (Safari, Chrome, Samsung). That being said, I still find the overall experience better with Safari and Samsung's 'Internet' browser. I'm navigating forward and back far more often than switching tabs so having those swipe gestures for those actions in Safari is my preference. Also fewer steps to access bookmarks and the tap to return to the top in Safari is one of my favorite features.

this. I have barely touched Chrome since being converted to Samsung Internet Beta. I even use it on my U11 as well as my S8.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
this. I have barely touched Chrome since being converted to Samsung Internet Beta. I even use it on my U11 as well as my S8.

Yeah, I'm using that on my pixel too. But for some reason it doesn't give me the option to sign into my Samsung account to get all my bookmarks.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, I'm using that on my pixel too. But for some reason it doesn't give me the option to sign into my Samsung account to get all my bookmarks.

Same here. I think it only does on Samsung devices. Stinks for the bookmark sync but I don't use bookmarks that often. I just save my top visited sites to the "Quick Access" page.

Reactions: Fernandez21

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
People say that Samsung software is disappointing but that can mean different things:

1) Does the software slow down compared to the Pixel? Yes, for sure.

2) Is Samsung's take on Android a far more mature offering with countless useful tweaks that stock Android simply doesn't have on Pixel? Yes.

One day I'll make a list of the best features of Samsung's software that the Pixel misses. Really basic/thoughtful things.

Don't forget waiting 8+ months to get the latest OS on Samsung devices! While not a software feature, definitely something that is important IMO. I'll give you a plus though, with Samsung it's easy to change themes and have a dark theme, pink theme, or whatever you want, meanwhile Google is crying on Reddit AMA's that changing themes is too difficult for them to accomplish.

Reactions: MRU

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

I still find the Samsung browser is much better than chrome due to these:-
- supports ad-blockers
- scrollbar
- goto top button
- auto-hide command buttons at bottom (btw: you can swipe left-right here (as well as URL bar at top) to move betw. tabs.
- fps integration
- full screen

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Have there been any reputable leaks on the smaller pixel 2? So far all I can find is that it's going to be slightly bigger with the same screen size, so more bezel, to make room for the stereo speakers and water proofing.

There was one though that said it would be the same size but with smaller bezels and a 5.6" display, not sure how reputable that is though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Have there been any reputable leaks on the smaller pixel 2? So far all I can find is that it's going to be slightly bigger with the same screen size, so more bezel, to make room for the stereo speakers and water proofing.

There was one though that said it would be the same size but with smaller bezels and a 5.6" display, not sure how reputable that is though.

Nothing concrete and a lot of counter predictions. Surely as we get closer we should get more real leak info, but so far it's very much a big question mark.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
- supports ad-blockers
- scrollbar
- goto top button
- auto-hide command buttons at bottom (btw: you can swipe left-right here (as well as URL bar at top) to move betw. tabs.
- fps integration
- full screen
Agreed the Samsung browser is the best mobile browser out there imo. Chrome is no match for it.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Nothing concrete and a lot of counter predictions. Surely as we get closer we should get more real leak info, but so far it's very much a big question mark.

I hope we get more info soon. I have another week to return my pixel if I want. If the crappy rumors are true then I would rather just keep my current pixel, but if the 5.6" 18:9 rumors are true then I would rather return it and get the newer one, though that would also depend on price. Still planning on getting the iPhone 8 and I don't think I would be able to justify buying 2 phones for $2000 within a month of each other.

And of course these pixels are hard to get, so I could be returning this one only to not be able to get it new again once the new one is announced.

Other option would be to simply keep it and sell it if the new one impresses, i got my 128gb new for $450 and they are currently going for about $400-$500 used/refurbished so I think I should be able to recoup most of that.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
- supports ad-blockers
- scrollbar
- goto top button
- fps integration
- full screen

Yeah when I got my wife her S7 it had this insane battery draining bug - which was down to Chrome.

So I told her to use the Samsung Browser in the meantime and she loves it, won't even touch Chrome now.

As for the Pixel XL2 - it really seems like a G6 and V30. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but the Pixel seems like a glorified Nexus all over again, except this time Google are making sure the camera is incredible themselves (plus charging a lot more!).

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
If the rumors on that site are true about the smaller pixel, I think I'll just stick with my current pixel.

Thought it was stupid when Apple did it, and it will be stupid if Google does it too. I shouldn't have to get the biggest phone to get the best features. I wish I knew for sure if it were going to happen, because I would go ahead and get the S8 now instead of waiting (if the rumors are true).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.