Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Google rebranded the Nexus line to Pixel, and it seemed like they were going to take hardware and their smartphone offerings more seriously. Premium pricing, more marketing, etc.

These rumors for the Pixel 2 are shaping up like Nexus rumors, not Pixel rumors.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just curious with the recent leaks of this phone and the sale Google has on it's predecessor, is anyone going to just take advantage of the older hardware?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Just curious with the recent leaks of this phone and the sale Google has on it's predecessor, is anyone going to just take advantage of the older hardware?
I have, was able to snag a brand new 128gb small pixel for $450. If your a fan of the smaller handset, I think you should take advantage and get one at a reduced price. If you want the XL, then that one I think is worth waiting for.

Of course all these rumors could be wrong and I'll be kicking myself for not waiting.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have, was able to snag a brand new 128gb small pixel for $450. If your a fan of the smaller handset, I think you should take advantage and get one at a reduced price. If you want the XL, then that one I think is worth waiting for.

Of course all these rumors could be wrong and I'll be kicking myself for not waiting.

Evan Blass leaked the Pixel 2 deets. He has a great track record, so it's a safe bet it's accurate.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Evan Blass leaked the Pixel 2 deets. He has a great track record, so it's a safe bet it's accurate.
Yeah, that's why I'm not returning my pixel. There was one rumor that it was going to have a 5.6" 18:9 with minimal bezels and stereo speakers. If that was the case, I'd definitely be waiting as that would make it slightly smaller than the G6 (5.7" 18:9 screen) and would've perfect imo. But alas, that rumor seems to have been an outlier.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Apple has been doing that for a while now. The Plus model got the dual camera, whereas the regular iPhone didn't. But you're right, Apple will be doing that even more so when the iPhone 8 lands.

100% agree. Google should really continue offering no compromise phone sizes. It's a real shame.

One of the things that turned me off from the iPhone. Like you and others say, it's annoying to see Google follow suit and reversing the precedent from the original Pixel.

I had been waiting to see the Pixel 2 before deciding if I wanted to upgrade from the S7 to the S8. Now I'm just waiting for a good deal for the S8 on AT&T.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
How anyone could pick the S8+ over the Pixel XL 2 is beyond me.

Lagwiz or whatever they call it now, just blows chunks. Samsung pisses all over stock Android, with their stupid duplicate apps of the same thing.

I guess its "different strokes, for different folks"

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
How anyone could pick the S8+ over the Pixel XL 2 is beyond me.

Lagwiz or whatever they call it now, just blows chunks. Samsung pisses all over stock Android, with their stupid duplicate apps of the same thing.

I guess its "different strokes, for different folks"
I agree with you on the S8+, but things are a bit tougher with the smaller pixel and the regular size S8, especially at the price you can find them now. And when you bring in the Note 8 (which is the only phablet I would get at this point) it's even tougher with the added functionality you get thanks to the spen.

It is a shame Samsung can't optimize TouchWiz as well as Google has done to stock Android, I loved alot of the design choices and features found in TouchWiz, but man after using stock Android again it's very appearent they still have a lot of work to do to get performance up to snuff. My pixel runs circles around what my S8 did performance wise, or at least it feels that way.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
For late 2017, these bezels are embarrassing:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/See-the-Google-Pixel-2-from-all-angles-in-different-colors_id96825

Google-Pixel-2-color-options.jpg

Is it me or did they get even bigger?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For late 2017, these bezels are embarrassing:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/See-the-Google-Pixel-2-from-all-angles-in-different-colors_id96825

Is it me or did they get even bigger?

I know its running against the current tide here, but I actually don't mind those bezels as depicted, and the fact that symmetry is preserved and the front firing speakers top and bottom at least add some functionality to the bezelicous area that wasn't in the original pixel and pixel XL.

I think the blue still looks great there tbh.

I am more interested in seeing the phone in comparison to it's bigger brother dimension wise overall as I suspect the XL 2 won't be vastly huger overall because of its LG inspired design.

The red/black looks great to me personally too.

Google-Pixel-2-red-and-black.jpg

Google-Pixel-2-Black.jpg

Google-Pixel-2-Blue.jpg

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I for one do not really mind the top and bottom bezels (as above) IF we get properly balanced stereo speakers in return (the side bezels look very minimal which makes the overall proposition that much easier to entertain)!

PS. It has to be said that I quickly got over the chunky bezels on my current gen Pixel! :rolleyes:

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Seems a lot of talk about the aesthetics of the large bezels. Personally, I don't care about the look. My concern (like most, I'd assume) is a preference for more screen in a smaller form factor (even if it's done by an elongated aspect ratio). That being said, I am quite disappointed in the Pixel. I was hoping to try out "pure" android, but it looks like I'll be upgrading my S7 to the S8.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Seems a lot of talk about the aesthetics of the large bezels. Personally, I don't care about the look. My concern (like most, I'd assume) is a preference for more screen in a smaller form factor (even if it's done by an elongated aspect ratio). That being said, I am quite disappointed in the Pixel. I was hoping to try out "pure" android, but it looks like I'll be upgrading my S7 to the S8.

It's both.

It's both that bezels don't look as attractive anymore in a premium smartphone design, and it's that you don't maximize the amount of screen you could have in a smaller, more ergonomic form factor.

Stereo-speakers are great, but won't the Pixel 2 XL have them, too?

Basically, it's looking like LG is designing a better phone than HTC for Google.

[doublepost=1502205192][/doublepost]@MRU I love the red/black front version, too. In general, the colors are great. Thanks for updating with larger/better photos.

Reactions: MRU

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
It's both.

It's both that bezels don't look as attractive anymore in a premium smartphone design, and it's that you don't maximize the amount of screen you could have in a smaller, more ergonomic form factor.

Stereo-speakers are great, but won't the Pixel 2 XL have them, too?

Basically, it's looking like LG is designing a better phone than HTC for Google.

[doublepost=1502205192][/doublepost]@MRU I love the red/black front version, too. In general, the colors are great. Thanks for updating with larger/better photos.
I recognize that both reasons are given, but I was pointing out that some people seem to really focus on the look of it. And personally, I don't really care about that.

If true, you bring up a good point about the XL having stereo speakers, but still smaller bezels. Seems like you say, LG may have just done a better job than HTC.

Personally, I think stereo speakers are nice to have, but I do rarely listen to anything on my phone without headphones or a bluetooth speakers, so it's not that big of a deal to me. If I had to choose, I'd take more screen real estate over stereo speakers any day of the week.

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I recognize that both reasons are given, but I was pointing out that some people seem to really focus on the look of it. And personally, I don't really care about that.

If true, you bring up a good point about the XL having stereo speakers, but still smaller bezels. Seems like you say, LG may have just done a better job than HTC.

Personally, I think stereo speakers are nice to have, but I do rarely listen to anything on my phone without headphones or a bluetooth speakers, so it's not that big of a deal to me. If I had to choose, I'd take more screen real estate over stereo speakers any day of the week.

Me too, easily. The screen is used way more (like 100% of the time you use your phone!) than speakers. I would love to have stereo speakers, but not at the expense of screen real estate, and with so much added bezels.

I guess I'm particularly disappointed because it's looking like the Pixel 2 XL is getting the better design. Like salt on a wound. :(

Reactions: Fernandez21 and MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I know its running against the current tide here, but I actually don't mind those bezels as depicted, and the fact that symmetry is preserved and the front firing speakers top and bottom at least add some functionality to the bezelicous area that wasn't in the original pixel and pixel XL.

I think the blue still looks great there tbh.

I am more interested in seeing the phone in comparison to it's bigger brother dimension wise overall as I suspect the XL 2 won't be vastly huger overall because of its LG inspired design.

The red/black looks great to me personally too.

Google-Pixel-2-red-and-black.jpg

Google-Pixel-2-Black.jpg

Google-Pixel-2-Blue.jpg
I don't mind the larger bezels too much, but for the price and losing the 128gb option (rumored) I don't think it's worth it. However if the rumored price increase of $50 (to $699) is wrong and the price comes down to say $499 then I would say the design is fine. But for $700 I would want to get a phone with a modern flagship design. Also I would like the opportunity of getting a 128gb version.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hope design is the only difference between the two pixels this year, that camera hardware (sensor/lens) are the same for example.

If it turns out for example the HTC Pixel is using the U11 sensor/lens combo and LG are using the standard Sony lens/sensor it could feasibly turn out that the smaller HTC Pixel could have the better camera experience.

I suspect there is going to be some compromise between both devices where screen real estate of the XL2 could be countered by better speakers or camera.

If it turns out to be the case, Google will have really muddied the water they attempted to clear up with the Pixel devices.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The red / black and the blue / white are both delicious.
I honestly expected a less bevelicious device, but having used the XZ Premium now for over a month, I have absolutely no reason to want a phone without them.

If speakers are within the bezels then sign me up. I'll be hard pushed not to want one of these although it's going to take a lot for me want to part with this XZ Premium as I absolutely love it.

Reactions: v0lume4 and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The red / black and the blue / white are both delicious.
I honestly expected a less bevelicious device, but having used the XZ Premium now for over a month, I have absolutely no reason to want a phone without them.

If speakers are within the bezels then sign me up. I'll be hard pushed not to want one of these although it's going to take a lot for me want to part with this XZ Premium as I absolutely love it.
lol...delicious and bevelicious.....

Reactions: Aneres11

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If it turns out to be the case, Google will have really muddied the water they attempted to clear up with the Pixel devices.

Exactly.

These feel more like rumors to Nexus devices than they are to Pixel devices. Different OEMs, different features, different designs...
[doublepost=1502212235][/doublepost]
Looks like they're a little bigger.
Pixel 1: 143.8 x 69.5 x 7.3-8.5
Pixel 2: 145.3 x 69.3 x 7.8

I can't believe there's a possibility that the bezels got bigger.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Do we have any word on the pricing for these phones, yet? The only rumors that I recall seeing are the ones from a few months ago claiming that the Pixel 2 phones could cost $50 more than the previous ones.

I also want to point out -- does anyone remember the rumors earlier this year that Google was considering making a low-cost Pixel? What if the Pixel 2 that we are seeing here is the low-cost Pixel? Google could be mighty competitive with a stock Android $500-600 phone, coupled with the flagship Pixel 2 XL at the higher end. I say that this is unlikely, but in regards to those rumors months ago, I think of the old adage "where there's smoke, there's fire."

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't think Google have any intention of making a 'low cost' pixel at all. I expect both models to be asking premium pricing akin to the iPhone 7/7+ pricing.

Reactions: v0lume4

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Verizon will be the sole carrier again?

Why can't we get any of these devices with T-Mobile?

How I wish I could afford more devices outright.

Reactions: v0lume4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.