Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I had a Pixel XL sitting in my cart the last few months. Last night I refreshed the cart and saw it was $200 off. Today the discount is gone and so I deleted the pixel from my cart. I really considered pressing the buy button last night but decided to sleep on it. Glad I waited, they made up my mind.

The constant shipping delays is why I never bought a Pixel to this day. Next pixel will likely have the same problems. I'll check it out and the shipping times will change my mind again.

I'm enjoying my S8+.

Buy it pre-owned from Swappa or wherever if interested, got a very good deal on it and I sold my smaller Pixel.
[doublepost=1502809743][/doublepost]
Considering the lower cost alternatives to the Pixel 2/XL 2, I would see many people go elsewhere.

Yep, I will just wait like the last time when I purchased the first one.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well at least it means the HTC Pixel 2 will offer something unique to its SKU that the XL 2 won't offer.

Other than manageable bezel, you mean. I'm starting to really like my XL bezel for comfortable holding.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Other than manageable bezel, you mean. I'm starting to really like my XL bezel for comfortable holding.

Yeah I'm not a bezel hater myself. I actually don't mind them for the most part. I know it's fashion now to be all about no bezels, and to hate on them, but it's not a major deal breaker for me personally.

Reactions: Oohara and jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I'm not a bezel hater myself. I actually don't mind them for the most part. I know it's fashion now to be all about no bezels, and to hate on them, but it's not a major deal breaker for me personally.

I actually see bezel coming back in the future. Not huge ones, just a forehead and chin to hold. All we need to do is wait it out.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I actually see bezel coming back in the future. Not huge ones, just a forehead and chin to hold. All we need to do is wait it out.

I doubt it. The large bezel will eventually go the way of the removable battery. As long as there is enough internal space to accommodate the required hardware and the software is good enough to recognize intentional vs. unintentional touches, there is no need for the larger bezels.

I also don't mind some bezel but as I sit here and type on my 7+ after watching a video in landscape orientation, I find myself consistently holding the phone with around the frame. If anything, I find the need for a bezel much more prevalent on my iPad and Apple's already been shrinking those bezels for years.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I doubt it. The large bezel will eventually go the way of the removable battery. As long as there is enough internal space to accommodate the required hardware and the software is good enough to recognize intentional vs. unintentional touches, there is no need for the larger bezels.

I'm not saying large bezels will come back. I'm saying companies are going to push to zero, realize it isn't as good as they thought, then put some bezel back.

Reactions: tbayrgs

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have zero problems watching YouTube videos in landscape mode on my s8. Held it one handed on my commute home all the way while watching.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I'm not saying large bezels will come back. I'm saying companies are going to push to zero, realize it isn't as good as they thought, then put some bezel back.
Yeah, I think from what I've seen of the iPhone 8 is how it's going to be done, with just a tiny bit of bezel all the way atound.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
If the front speakers are great, and all the internals other than battery size are the same as the XL then I don't think I'd mind the smaller version. That is, if it's priced accordingly.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Same here. Don't mind them much on my 7+ although I'd prefer a slightly more efficient screen to body ratio for better pocketability. About half the bezel size of the 7+ with a flat screen would be ideal imo - which the 5.9"/16:9 Mate 9 has already.

In principle if bezels are used to house really good stereo speakers - HTC One M7 still in fond memory - and to make room for bigger battery, they definitely have a reason to exist. I'd take that over a bit of curved screen any day.

Reactions: MRU and 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Google Pixel 2 visits the FCC with Android 8.0.1, Active Edge and SD-835 on board

The paperwork also reveals that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will have a feature similar to the Edge Sense that is used on the HTC U11. With this feature, users can squeeze both sides of the phone together to open apps, control certain functions (like snap a picture, for example) and more. The FCC leak indicates that on the Pixel, this will be known as "Active Edge."

The screenshots also reveal that with 21% of native storage free, 50GB of native storage remained available. That could indicate that the Pixel 2 will ship with a base model containing 64GB of native storage, not 32GB like last year.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Google Pixel 2 visits the FCC with Android 8.0.1, Active Edge and SD-835 on board

The paperwork also reveals that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will have a feature similar to the Edge Sense that is used on the HTC U11. With this feature, users can squeeze both sides of the phone together to open apps, control certain functions (like snap a picture, for example) and more. The FCC leak indicates that on the Pixel, this will be known as "Active Edge."

The screenshots also reveal that with 21% of native storage free, 50GB of native storage remained available. That could indicate that the Pixel 2 will ship with a base model containing 64GB of native storage, not 32GB like last year.

Maybe there is still some hope that the smaller pixel will have a similar design to the larger pixel, it was rumored the "squeezing" feature was only for the larger one.

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Maybe there is still some hope that the smaller pixel will have a similar design to the larger pixel, it was rumored the "squeezing" feature was only for the larger one.
Nope. Expect the leaked image to be accurate. I suspect that as HTC U11 had the squeeze, inevitably the Pixel 2 would have it. I suspect the XL by LG however may not. I can not see HTC giving LG it's tech, even if Google are footing the bill.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Are you on android o? I find it's working much better since I upgraded.

No not yet. As it stands I can't use BT headphones at all as stuttering drives me nuts. Maybe next week fingers crossed when O officially launches it will improve, but I suspect most of BT issues are hardware / antenna related and software can only do so much.

Reactions: Fernandez21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.