Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'd be shocked if the Pixel 2 XL is near $1000 just to price match the iPhone 8. I predict it'll remain in the $750-850 range.

The current Pixel lineup is definitely overpriced.

Well they priced the xl at $769 I believe, almost the same as the 7 plus. So yeah I think you're right, they will match it with the 7S plus or whatever they call it. I'm surprised they are not planning a "Google Edition" phone to match up with the iPhone edition (IP8).

So at $769, with the v30 being $749, I'm pretty happy with Googles pricing if true. Especially in light of the Note 8's pricing. Although a more direct and applicable comparison would be the S7+. I guess the Note 8 and iPhone 8 are in their own category.

Reactions: epicrayban

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Supposedly the Pixel 2 XL will join that party. It should be similar to the G6 or V30, apparently, since it's being made by LG.

It's the smaller of the two, the regular Pixel, that's rumored to retain the same bezels from last year, which I think is a big mistake from Google. This one is being made by HTC, a company that doesn't have a single flagship with anything near bezel-less.

But even so, even with the Pixel 2 XL design, I'm not positive the Pixel 2 will stand out in any special way.

Software is all the Pixel, XL or otherwise, will have.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well they priced the xl at $769 I believe, almost the same as the 7 plus. So yeah I think you're right, they will match it with the 7S plus or whatever they call it. I'm surprised they are not planning a "Google Edition" phone to match up with the iPhone edition (IP8).

So at $769, with the v30 being $749, I'm pretty happy with Googles pricing if true. Especially in light of the Note 8's pricing. Although a more direct and applicable comparison would be the S7+. I guess the Note 8 and iPhone 8 are in their own category.

Hm, which is interesting. They're in their own category for pricing, sure. But is the iPhone 8 really in the same category as the Note 8? I'm not so sure. I feel like the Note 8 is a true pro device. Whereas the iPhone 8 is just Apple finally catching up to devices older than the Note 8.

Anyway, probably a question for another thread. ;)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Hm, which is interesting. They're in their own category for pricing, sure. But is the iPhone 8 really in the same category as the Note 8? I'm not so sure. I feel like the Note 8 is a true pro device. Whereas the iPhone 8 is just Apple finally catching up to devices older than the Note 8.

Anyway, probably a question for another thread. ;)

Not to derail too much, but what would you say makes the Note 8 a pro device?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That is a pro feature, but I was mainly wondering about pro features in comparison to other Android phones. As in, what makes the Note 8 pro and the S8+ not pro.
the post you quoted from Epic was comparing the IP8 and Note 8 though....

I'm not so sure. I feel like the Note 8 is a true pro device. Whereas the iPhone 8 is just Apple finally catching up to devices older than the Note 8.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Latest rumor says the Pixel 2 will use the same snapdragon processor that's currently in all flagships. It won't be like last year where they introduced the newest processor.

I mean, I don't really care, but the Pixel 2, with all its potential, is getting less and less exciting.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Latest rumor says the Pixel 2 will use the same snapdragon processor that's currently in all flagships. It won't be like last year where they introduced the newest processor.

I mean, I don't really care, but the Pixel 2, with all its potential, is getting less and less exciting.
agree...its a month away and Samsung and LG have all the lime light and rightfully so...then things are about to get worse next week with the iPhone announcement.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I doubt I'll get one, but I'm sure Google have something up their sleeves.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The problem with pixel are this:

1. Google depends on one of the manufacturers for the innards of the phone. Maybe it just designs the case. So no hardware advantage.

2. Software wise, it is behind others since all manufacturers take stock android and add extra capabilities.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

1. Google depends on one of the manufacturers for the innards of the phone. Maybe it just designs the case. So no hardware advantage.

2. Software wise, it is behind others since all manufacturers take stock android and add extra capabilities.

I don't think what you're listing are problems, but rather the definition of the phone. The Pixel is meant to be all about Google's own OS. The stock software is meant to be the *advantage* over other platforms. Whether the tweaks other OEM's offer adds value is in the eye of the user.

Google has demonstrated zero interest in being in the hardware game.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't think what you're listing are problems, but rather the definition of the phone. The Pixel is meant to be all about Google's own OS. The stock software is meant to be the *advantage* over other platforms. Whether the tweaks other OEM's offer adds value is in the eye of the user.

Google has demonstrated zero interest in being in the hardware game.
exactly...thats why (one of them anyway) they parted ways with Motorola. Sure they wanted their patents as well but they had a more than capable hardware division after the purchase. If they wanted to make their own phones they would kept Motorola or spun them off while maintaining control and had a perfect partner to make the Pixels.

Reactions: widgeteer

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
exactly...thats why (one of them anyway) they parted ways with Motorola. Sure they wanted their patents as well but they had a more than capable hardware division after the purchase. If they wanted to make their own phones they would kept Motorola or spun them off while maintaining control and had a perfect partner to make the Pixels.

The old Motorola making a line of Pixels. Sigh...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Google values those extra features, too, just slower. ;) They've added various extra features from OEM skins to stock Android over the years (and vice versa, for sure).

Reactions: jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Google's new 'Data Transfer Tool' shows up in the Play Store, likely a Pixel 2 system app

If the phone pictured in the article is the Pixel 2 XL, that doesn't look like the rumored "bezel-less display" to me. BUT, dual speakers! IMO, the phone pictured looks like a Nexus 6P, save for the rounded screen corners.

What's interesting, however, is that Google since replaced the photo in the app with a different one (the article explains this). What would Google's intentions be for doing that? Hm.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

#2 is a HUGE plus IMO. Good luck waiting the 8 months for Samsung, LG and others to update to Oreo, I'll enjoy it out of the box. Sure each oem has their own customizations some consumers may like or even love, I just haven't really found many that would make me happy about not getting the newest OS on my device.

What I see as the issues the pixel will have is consumers will have already drowned in the cellular phone ocean, with the Note 8, v30, Motorola X, iPhone 8/8s/edition, etc etc already having been released. All that saturation doesn't give Google much of a chance. But honestly does anyone really think Google cares about hardware sales? VERY limited release of the original pixel, always sold out and in short demand, with virtually no carrier help other than the crappier Verizon version and very little marketing.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Google's new 'Data Transfer Tool' shows up in the Play Store, likely a Pixel 2 system app

If the phone pictured in the article is the Pixel 2 XL, that doesn't look like the rumored "bezel-less display" to me. BUT, dual speakers! IMO, the phone pictured looks like a Nexus 6P, save for the rounded screen corners.

What's interesting, however, is that Google since replaced the photo in the app with a different one (the article explains this). What would Google's intentions be for doing that? Hm.

Yeah, I was thinking it looked like a dual speakered G6, which I'd welcome!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What are the chances the xl2 will be a rebranded v30? Is there any precedent for this? The v30 checks off all the boxes I want except vanilla Android. Please Google don't disappoint us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.