Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I loved the original Pixel, it made we think that Google had a chance of offering some real non Samsung competition for Apple but the rumours about the Pixel 2 are really underwhelming.

I loved the fact that both phones were largely the same device but it seems Google is going to move away from that for the Pixel 2 and XL2. Removal of the headphone jack aswell. :rolleyes:

Having two different OEMs build the devices and two different designs is just plain odd. The active edge feature sounds like a terrible gimmick and the leaked images don't look particularly impressive. That said the original Pixels were nothing special design wise it was really the stock Android experience and the camera that made the device so we should probably wait and see.

My biggest concern is how quickly this line will get canned if sales don't take off. Google seem clueless when it comes to getting these devices into retail channels. Here in the UK they have got an exclusive deal with one of the carriers so the phones are nowhere to be seen outside of their stores. Seems like a terrible strategy when you consider the other flagships from Apple and Samsung are available on every carrier.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I loved the original Pixel, it made we think that Google had a chance of offering some real non Samsung competition for Apple but the rumours about the Pixel 2 are really underwhelming.

I loved the fact that both phones were largely the same device but it seems Google is going to move away from that for the Pixel 2 and XL2.

Having two different OEMs build the devices and two different designs is just plain odd. The active edge feature sounds like a terrible gimmick and the leaked images don't look particularly impressive. That said the original Pixels were nothing special design wise it was really the stock Android experience and the camera that made the device so we should probably wait and see.

My biggest concern is how quickly this line will get canned if sales don't take off. Google seem clueless when it comes to getting these devices into retail channels. Here in the UK they have got an exclusive deal with one of the carriers so the phones are nowhere to be seen outside of their stores. Seems like a terrible strategy when you consider the other flagships from Apple and Samsung are available on every carrier.
Yeah, it's very odd how they're treating the smaller pixel, in fact latest rumors I've seen call for the bezels to be even slightly larger (same size device but a 4.99" screen instead of the 5.1" from a year ago.)

Hopefully they're false and we get something similar to the XL in a smaller form factor.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I loved the fact that both phones were largely the same device but it seems Google is going to move away from that for the Pixel 2 and XL2. Removal of the headphone jack aswell. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's very odd how they're treating the smaller pixel, in fact latest rumors I've seen call for the bezels to be even slightly larger (same size device but a 4.99" screen instead of the 5.1" from a year ago.)

Hopefully they're false and we get something similar to the XL in a smaller form factor.

Yup. It's the Nexus 5X and 6P all over again. And it's a mistake.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I think Google kind of goofed up with their supply shortages and insane prices on the pixel line / nexus line.

I think the 5 hit the sweet spot on things other then the fragility of the thing, at least when I broke 2 it wasn't to bad getting the third one. Now pricing to me seems like "everyone else is charging nearly the same, so can we!"

I passed on the pixel 1 xl I'm not sure on version 2...

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Well said. This is my concern too.

If the Pixel line does get canned down the line, then what option do we have for a stock Android experience? Will Google revive the Nexus line, or will that just be the end of it?

Something that I wish would happen is that Google would incentivize OEM's to offer a stock Android edition of their phones, a la the Play Edition phones we've seen before from Samsung and Motorola.

Google actually DOES have a program like this -- Android One. However, Android One is for low cost devices. We need a similar program for the mid to high end devices!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Unreal and arguably unacceptable for a late 2017 flagship at premium pricing. I assume it's to fit the dual speakers.

Reactions: v0lume4

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well said. This is my concern too.

If the Pixel line does get canned down the line, then what option do we have for a stock Android experience? Will Google revive the Nexus line, or will that just be the end of it?

Something that I wish would happen is that Google would incentivize OEM's to offer a stock Android edition of their phones, a la the Play Edition phones we've seen before from Samsung and Motorola.

Google actually DOES have a program like this -- Android One. However, Android One is for low cost devices. We need a similar program for the mid to high end devices!

That's my dream as well, that the developer editions of Samsung phones would come back, other oems also. But Google has constantly demonstrated how weak they are when dealing with the oems. Heck we are lucky just to get a new OS 8 months after it's released.

I'd GLADLY pay a premium of $50-100 for a vanilla android S8 or N8. I'm sure stuff like stylus drivers can be downloaded separately, and apps such as the ones for the s-pen already exist independently. That's why I'm hoping the v30 will be the blueprint for the XL2, phenomenal phone but just needs vanilla android.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
That's my dream as well, that the developer editions of Samsung phones would come back, other oems also. But Google has constantly demonstrated how weak they are when dealing with the oems. Heck we are lucky just to get a new OS 8 months after it's released.

I'd GLADLY pay a premium of $50-100 for a vanilla android S8 or N8. I'm sure stuff like stylus drivers can be downloaded separately, and apps such as the ones for the s-pen already exist independently. That's why I'm hoping the v30 will be the blueprint for the XL2, phenomenal phone but just needs vanilla android.
If the Pixel 2 XL is essentially the V30, my head is going to explode.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Since I'm unimpressed with both my current phone and Ting's coverage here in BFE I'm thinking it'll be a Pixel XL and Fi for me this fall.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm sure 835 chipset will be just fine, but it does take away a little more edge from the Pixel 2.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
That said the original Pixels were nothing special design wise it was really the stock Android experience
This is all that really matters, imo. A phone can have an insane amount of power/features, but if the OS is unpleasant to use, then it's all for naught. On the flip side, a phone design could be underpowered and low on features but an absolute joy to use.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
This is all that really matters, imo. A phone can have an insane amount of power/features, but if the OS is unpleasant to use, then it's all for naught. On the flip side, a phone design could be underpowered and low on features but an absolute joy to use.

There is a balance between features, price, and experience that gives a device its value. I'm hopeful the XL 2 will strike that balance for me because I prefer stock Android but wasn't willing to give up the features I want for the original Pixel. Based on rumors the new one should be great, as long as it isn't too large. I really like the size of my S8. If it's based on the V30 it should be a great phone.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

It needs to have a good balance between the 2. I remember my original Moto X, it was delightful and had a great android build with nice little add ons and fast updates. However I ultimately got rid of it after a bit because the screen was subpar and the processing power was too low that loading apps took a bit longer than other flagships. Had they used a higher end screen with higher end specs it would've been a great phone.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It needs to have a good balance between the 2. I remember my original Moto X, it was delightful and had a great android build with nice little add ons and fast updates. However I ultimately got rid of it after a bit because the screen was subpar and the processing power was too low that loading apps took a bit longer than other flagships. Had they used a higher end screen with higher end specs it would've been a great phone.
Yep. Great phone but the AMOLED panel was really meh! Barely usable outdoors. The camera was also mediocre at best.

Yet despite that it takes for me as one of the best and most ergonomic little phones I've ever used. It just felt so great in the hand, something Motorola later abandoned and Lenovo walked away from too.

Reactions: Fernandez21

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Wait.

If Snapdragon 836 is coming out in 201i, does that screw over the 845 being in the S9? And does it make me more justified in my opinion that Qualcomm has let us all down with their mediocre chip design?

A better question: why in the world does anyone think there is going to be a giant difference between the 836 and the 835?

Reactions: c0ppo and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A better question: why in the world does anyone think there is going to be a giant difference between the 836 and the 835?
Because 1 digit more makes it instantly 500 X better /s

But yeah I don't understand the big deal. I am actually wondering more if we would in regards to specifically stock android, really notice any tangible difference between the 821 and the 835 to justify the upgrade.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I would love to know how the x is the future of the smart phone, most of what I saw looks like catchup. If I was an iPhone users who preferred the smaller version I would be pissed at how they don't have camera parity on all versions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.