Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
There been any mock ups on what it could be like?

Yeah. Android Police have stated they are almost certain he Pixel XL 2 is going to look like this

ef55427d32e24bd440f0d089529eef38.png

I am just unsure on the price.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Pixel 2 XL, is supposedly to look like a better Nexus 6P, which in my opinion is one of the best designed and beautiful Nexus phones ever.

It will be tall and long, with stereo speakers on top and bottom, and have a refined better design but also close to the 6P.

Reactions: spinedoc77

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Can Google retain their smartphone photography lead with Pixel 2?

Apple's just announced a phone with a large sensor (83% more light than iPhone 7 with much larger pixels than before copying Google's strategy last year), hardware OIS, a large F/1.8 aperture, better image processing (including hardware based noise reduction) and 4K60 video.

Rumours of Pixel 2 currently suggest no OIS, F/2.0 aperture, the same sensor as last year and 4K30 video. Probably slightly tweaked HDR+ for the new Snapdragon 835 ISP.

I'm struggling to see how Google could retain their competitive advantage over Apple in the smartphone photography game this year?
I don't think that Google has anything to worry about. ;) This year, the iPhone X is only catching up, no?

@JaySoul made mention of Google's computational capabilities in photography and he is spot on. Did you happen to see this experiment that Florian Kainz from Google did April this year?
https://research.googleblog.com/2017/04/experimental-nighttime-photography-with.html

The pictures below were taken with a Nexus 6P.
image8.jpg

image11.jpg

Is that insane or what? If you check out the blog post, you can see even more examples, with links to the full resolution files.

Near the bottom of the blog post, you have this disclaimer; but if you ask me, it's a possible preview of what's to come:
Trying to find out if phone cameras might be suitable for outdoor nighttime photography was a fun experiment, and clearly the result is yes, they are. However, arriving at the final images required a lot of careful post-processing on a desktop computer, and the procedure is too cumbersome for all but the most dedicated cellphone photographers. However, with the right software a phone should be able to process the images internally, and if steps such as painting layer masks by hand can be eliminated, it might be possible to do point-and-shoot photography in very low light conditions. Almost - the cellphone would still have to rest on the ground or be mounted on a tripod.

Reactions: JaySoul

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Pixel 2 XL, is supposedly to look like a better Nexus 6P, which in my opinion is one of the best designed and beautiful Nexus phones ever.

It will be tall and long, with stereo speakers on top and bottom, and have a refined better design but also close to the 6P.
certainly an improvement on last years then. Less bezels was needed. Will the screen size be bigger i'm guessing

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The unfortunate rumors of the smaller Pixel 2 have really tanked my excitement for this phone.

Still looking forward to Oct 4th. And yeah, the Pixel 2 XL looks like it should be nice -- almost like it's the spiritual successor to the Nexus 6P.

Last edited:

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
The unfortunate rumors of the smaller Pixel 2 have really tanked my excitement for this phone.

Still looking forward to Oct 4th. And yeah, the Pixel 2 XL looks like it should be nice -- almost like it's the spiritual successor to the Nexus 6P.

Has me ready to stick with Samsung and upgrade to the S8. Had been hoping to try out the Pixel this time around, but not looking likely assuming rumors are true.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
October 4th?!
So that should give Google enough time to manufacture the 12 devices that they'll be allocating to Europe for sale before they then abandon production entirely until the Pixel 3 gets made. :p

Maybe, if they only allot 3 engineers 4 phones each it will be close.
[doublepost=1505494329][/doublepost]
Yeah. Android Police have stated they are almost certain he Pixel XL 2 is going to look like this

ef55427d32e24bd440f0d089529eef38.png

I am just unsure on the price.

Wow, they got my money.

Reactions: v0lume4

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I can't wait to see what kind of pricing Google will make the Pixel 2's, especially the regular one that is supposedly only getting modest redesigns.

Reactions: MRU and v0lume4

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I just hope I can get one on launch day. I've been waiting a year for this, ever since the original launched. I'm craving a new phone experience.
Me too. My wife kind of nixed it, though. My plan is to review what Apple does next year and potentially switch to the pixel after that

Reactions: MRU

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Finally, an actual look at the Pixel XL 2?

I'm not sure about the white version...

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-xl-exclusive/

"The LG-made Pixel 2 XL will come in a “Black & White” colorway (pictured above) that might be the hottest panda colorway we’ve ever seen. The phone will also arrive in “Just Black,” and be available with 64GB or 128GB storage. The 64GB model will cost $849, while the 128GB model will jump to $949."

Reactions: S.B.G

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Finally, an actual look at the Pixel XL 2?

I'm not sure about the white version...

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-xl-exclusive/

"The LG-made Pixel 2 XL will come in a “Black & White” colorway (pictured above) that might be the hottest panda colorway we’ve ever seen. The phone will also arrive in “Just Black,” and be available with 64GB or 128GB storage. The 64GB model will cost $849, while the 128GB model will jump to $949."

Ooooh! Good find! That black and white is pretty slick. It'll set it apart from the competition, IMO. I personally preferred the silver/white finish of the original Pixel/Pixel XL, but that's not too bad.

Am I the only one seeing that orange wake/lock button on the white model? Um, wut?

-- edit --

Also, why aren't these leaks showing us the front? Probably because no one has actually gotten their hands on the device. Most leaks that we've seen so far are just mockup designs, anyway. Nothing 100% real. Show us the front, darn it!

-- double edit! --

Those prices. Google, come on.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Ooooh! Good find! That black and white is pretty slick. It'll set it apart from the competition, IMO. I personally preferred the silver/white finish of the original Pixel/Pixel XL, but that's not too bad.

Am I the only one seeing that orange wake/lock button on the white model? Um, wut?

-- edit --

Also, why aren't these leaks showing us the front? Probably because no one has actually gotten their hands on the device. Most leaks that we've seen so far are just mockup designs, anyway. Nothing 100% real. Show us the front, darn it!

-- double edit! --

Those prices. Google, come on.

I saw that wake/lock button. very interesting, indeed. It does stand out from the crowd, which is nice.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
$850 starting price for a stock Google phone WTF? The Nexus 6P was $499 at launch, and it was every bit the flagship for it's time, matching what the other big name manufactures were releasing, but they were at much higher prices, where the Nexus 6P was a good 1/3rd cheaper, but same flagship hardware inside, and same high end build quality.

This is a bad trend, smartphones creeping into the $1,000 range.

Reactions: Fernandez21

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Google historically has only charged $50 to double the storage, correct?

Maybe that $949 for the 128GB version isn't true. Fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.